Weston Park Museum

As a child in the late 50s and early 60s I used to visit the museum occasionally.

At the time there were lots of drawers full of insect, moths and butterflies etc. that you could pull out to look at. Also the stuffed polar bear and of course the two wrestlers. There was also the bee colony which bees accessed through a tube leading to the outside through one of the windows.

I haven't been to the museum for a long time. Are these things still there?

Dont know about the bees or insects, but there is a good photography exhibition featuring Sheffield circa 1990 on at the moment.

A lot of things seemed to have happened around that year 😮

Edited by GinTreeS7

Guest makapaka
2 hours ago, Gormenghast said:

As a child in the late 50s and early 60s I used to visit the museum occasionally.

At the time there were lots of drawers full of insect, moths and butterflies etc. that you could pull out to look at. Also the stuffed polar bear and of course the two wrestlers. There was also the bee colony which bees accessed through a tube leading to the outside through one of the windows.

Yes they’re all still there.

12 hours ago, Gormenghast said:

Yes the draws are still there & the bee's if we thought it was good, things certainly changed for the better after the face lift.

Better exhibitions &  certainly more child friendly.

(not sure if the kids will be able to dress up as Eskimo's or Vikings anymore because of Covid).

But it's not just opening draws or standing guaping at the two wrestlers (waiting for one of then to move) technology in the form of computer's and on screen information throughout makes it an up to date easier place of learn.

Or it was  pre Covid not sure what restrictions are in place now.

Their web site has all sorts of classes and tours advertised, but like everything check before setting off.

Opening times were 10am to 4pm.

& don't forget the art gallery.

See the source image

Keep safe embrace the knowledge.

Sheffield deserves a better museum, it needs improving. Personally I think it's far too child orientated. What I do like are the ancient Viking swords.

Agree with that HN. Visited after the refurb and was sorely disappointed. Vast majority of the knives and cutlery displays gone. There was a metallurgy student there from Australia who was greatly disappointed. Staff said stuff had been moved to Millennium gallery but it hasn’t. Our real history is sat in crates somewhere. 

Can I disagree?

Surely it is the younger generation that should be encouraged to visit Museum's, Art galleries and Libraries. 

There has to be more than just traipsing from one cabinet to another, doesn't there?

And, to do that, Western Park have done an excellent job.

Being 'hand's on' was something Weston Park started many years ago.

Saturday morning  art sessions were something we took our kids to near on 40 years ago.

The Technology incorporated in the revamped Museum (something the grandkids were not expecting) and things like (pre Covid) 

being able to 'dress up' and relate to what's on display must be better than just Googling every thing from home on a computer.

Computer searches can never replicate the reaction a Child has, the first time they actually see a 'Large' paintings in an Art Gallery.

It is always going to be hard to display 'everything' or cater for everybody but I think Weston Park and Mappin are still doing a good job.

Long live Weston Park.

German's couldn't destroy it,

lets hope Covid doesn't.

Keep safe.

Why not get involved?

Edited by Rockers rule
-

I wonder how much younger children take away from interactive exhibits at museums and art galleries.  Is the experience just another play day that could have been equally fun at [insert name of whatever play facilities you usually take kids to]? 

It gets families through the door so they can exit through the gift shop and add to the visitor number tally, so at least the museums are less likely to be threatened with closure, but having hyperactive toddlers underfoot puts me off.  And drop kicking the little ****ers out of the way of the display cases is frowned upon, apparently.

6 minutes ago, Hecate said:

I wonder how much younger children take away from interactive exhibits at museums and art galleries.  Is the experience just another play day that could have been equally fun at [insert name of whatever play facilities you usually take kids to]? 

It gets families through the door so they can exit through the gift shop and add to the visitor number tally, so at least the museums are less likely to be threatened with closure, but having hyperactive toddlers underfoot puts me off.  And drop kicking the little ****ers out of the way of the display cases is frowned upon, apparently.

Wow!

I'm surprised the Museum hasn't noticed one of their fossil's is missing:hihi:

9 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

Wow!

I'm surprised the Museum hasn't noticed one of their fossil's is missing:hihi:

They're too busy trying to clean the Sunny Delight toddler vomit off the polar bear.

4 minutes ago, Hecate said:

They're too busy trying to clean the Sunny Delight toddler vomit off the polar bear.

Touche.

Although using the words 'Sunny Delight' must have hurt.

Leave the kids alone, they may have to look after you at some point, & i't won't be Sunny D they will be havin' to clean up for yer!

Keep safe Hecate 8)