The Rule Of The Knife - What More Could Be Done About Knife Crime?

Sentence is four years for carrying a knife . I wonder how many times this has been passed . I have seen shorter sentences for actually stabbing someone . About time the judiciary stuck to this sentence .

41 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Sentence is four years for carrying a knife . I wonder how many times this has been passed . I have seen shorter sentences for actually stabbing someone . About time the judiciary stuck to this sentence .

Yes I agree but all so we need to look at sentencing as a whole does it stop anyone using a knife in the first place?

1 hour ago, Jim117 said:

Wow, a thread that I can actually relate to some of what every poster has said. Yes we did all have knives as kids and adults. It’s Sheffield, loads of my relatives worked in the industry and we swapped and traded them like sweets as kids. The average cop wouldn’t have blinked an eye upon seeing a kid sharpening a scotch arrow with a six inch Bowie knife when I was a kid and a stabbing would’ve been front page news. I think gang culture, some of it imported, lack of moral guidance, lack of decent father figures/role models, poverty and weak policing/ sentencing all have a part to play in this problem.

My late grandad used to sharpen  knives as a side line I doubt he would have ever thought about using them to harm someone. I think most who do use knives as a weapons don't understand the injuries they can do they watch films characters use them watch them get stabbed then get up and walk off so assume reality would be the same. Knife injuries can go deep into the body making it hard to treat.

4 hours ago, despritdan said:

Why is there so much knife crime these days? That's a difficult one isn't it, I really can't think what the reason is no matter how hard I try. I was born in the early 50s and grew up in the 60s and 70s and don't recall all these stabbings and shootings back then so I wonder what's changed since then and now. Let me have a good hard think....no, sorry it's a complete mystery. It can't possibly have anything to do with immigration as we keep getting told how enriching it's been for all of us and besides, we know that all BAMEs are victims and saints so it must be something else. Hang on, I remember hearing a few times that it's all the fault of middle class white people for having dinner parties so that must be it. The obvious solution is for the police to descend on areas like Lodge Moor, Dore, Totley and Ecclesall in the early evening and break into the homes of people who live there to catch them in the act of having dinner parties and if they are, lock them up and throw away the key. There, that's knife crime sorted. Simples.

👍

To be honest the content of my car’s tool box makes a knife wielding the yob look lightly armed, our kitchen has more knives than any gang of yobs, most of the cutting equipment in my garage is motor driven, it’s not their possession that’s the problem, it’s their usage.

Younger generation need different focus and for ways to get away from the wrong attention.

Social media plays a big part today in generating mass attention to call out a fight- groups of ppl then gather at designated place, bringing scores of teenagers to record the event.

Sometimes things turn fatal, but this is how the world is today.

People don't value life and don't care stabbing somebody over a trivial matter.

I'd say having more centres around key cities is a way to draw ppl away from the wrong crowd- get them to do sports or learn a craft, share problems etc.

Have good decent folks to run it and get national lottery funding.