The Rule Of The Knife - What More Could Be Done About Knife Crime?

Gentleman of the past used to settle disagreements with their fists now we they use knifes. 

Over the last twenty or more years we have seen knives been used as weapons of choice often the result is fatal.  The rise in using knives seems to have increased to new high levels. I can recall an head teacher been stabbed to death outside his own school in London by a pupil in 1995 that sent shockwaves though the nation now such crimes are just everyday news they no longer shock.

We need knives for daily basic tasks so just getting rid off them is impractical as no one has come up with something to replace them with.

What could be done how do we get the message across that using them as weapons often leads to a fatal result or is an hopeless task ?

You get what you vote for, we’ve not had an effective police force for many years, if a knife wielding yob were to be restrained by police officers using force we all know the answer. If I were a police officer I’d let them kill each other, which is completely the wrong answer as it would be only a matter of time before honest law abiding people got caught up in it.

What is thew cause of the knife crime is what we should ask.

If it is illegal drugs that is where efforts should be made to eradicate them from all levels of society.

If it is gang rivalry the gang culture should be targeted.

39 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

What is thew cause of the knife crime is what we should ask.

If it is illegal drugs that is where efforts should be made to eradicate them from all levels of society.

If it is gang rivalry the gang culture should be targeted.

This is the better question to ask. I'll trot out the same line I normally do on these sorts of threads -  thousands of men carried knives every day 70 years ago - Sheffield made millions of pocket knives. Knife crime then wasn't a thing. People are prepared to stab somebody over the most minor offense. 

When I watched Ross Kemp on gangs, no matter where he was, the root cause was mainly poverty and lack of opportunity.

29 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

This is the better question to ask. I'll trot out the same line I normally do on these sorts of threads -  thousands of men carried knives every day 70 years ago - Sheffield made millions of pocket knives. Knife crime then wasn't a thing. People are prepared to stab somebody over the most minor offense. 

When I watched Ross Kemp on gangs, no matter where he was, the root cause was mainly poverty and lack of opportunity.

There has always been poverty and lack of opportunity, this does not excuse the violence some people appear to find acceptable nowadays.

In the past there were more labour intensive jobs where qualifications were not necessary and where a young person mixed with older workers, could gain a feeling of belonging and self respect.  There were many places in the armed forces where youngsters could get excitement and learn a trade.

Years ago the church set morals of behaviour and those in authority were not in fear of being sued. 

we have laws,but never seem to act on them,we see the law just not used,you see cort case after court case,where they could send knife criminals to prison for 2nrd,3rd,4th offence just let off,its a joke,drug gangs just roam the streets,people parking where they want ,on corners ect,ect,electric scooters everywhere,but no ones bothered,no arrests,its madness ,in the 50s,60s ect they would lock them up,but now they are not bothered,it needs sorting.

16 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

There has always been poverty and lack of opportunity, this does not excuse the violence some people appear to find acceptable nowadays.

In the past there were more labour intensive jobs where qualifications were not necessary and where a young person mixed with older workers, could gain a feeling of belonging and self respect.  There were many places in the armed forces where youngsters could get excitement and learn a trade.

Years ago the church set morals of behaviour and those in authority were not in fear of being sued. 

Fair point - although I disagree about the church -, what's changed where somebody will go and stab somebody else rather than an old fashioned punch up?  And it isn't all gang related or football hooligans, it's blokes down the pub and school kids.

In my youth there were police patrolling on foot and hopefully he was a deterrent and knew what was happening in his area and who were the villains.

We were brought up to think that if we did wrong we would be caught and punished.

When I was young most fathers had been in the forces in the war and knew discipline. 

Rules were enforced. 

Knowing right from wrong is a starting point .

Edited by harvey19

6 hours ago, crookesey said:

You get what you vote for, we’ve not had an effective police force for many years, if a knife wielding yob were to be restrained by police officers using force we all know the answer. If I were a police officer I’d let them kill each other, which is completely the wrong answer as it would be only a matter of time before honest law abiding people got caught up in it.

For that we need armed Police on the streets to protect themselves from attacks. Remember the two Police woman who were shot dead after answering a call out in Manchester.

44 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

If a young person can not get a job for what ever reason and is having there money stopped by the Job Centre crime can have it's attraction. Gangs are forever looking for new members and learning the use of a knife often comes part of that life. We need more opportunities something to show the youth their is an better life to be had than drying young from a stab wound. The Church could help but they don't have the resources plus how many people go to church regularly now?

Why is there so much knife crime these days? That's a difficult one isn't it, I really can't think what the reason is no matter how hard I try. I was born in the early 50s and grew up in the 60s and 70s and don't recall all these stabbings and shootings back then so I wonder what's changed since then and now. Let me have a good hard think....no, sorry it's a complete mystery. It can't possibly have anything to do with immigration as we keep getting told how enriching it's been for all of us and besides, we know that all BAMEs are victims and saints so it must be something else. Hang on, I remember hearing a few times that it's all the fault of middle class white people for having dinner parties so that must be it. The obvious solution is for the police to descend on areas like Lodge Moor, Dore, Totley and Ecclesall in the early evening and break into the homes of people who live there to catch them in the act of having dinner parties and if they are, lock them up and throw away the key. There, that's knife crime sorted. Simples.

Wow, a thread that I can actually relate to some of what every poster has said. Yes we did all have knives as kids and adults. It’s Sheffield, loads of my relatives worked in the industry and we swapped and traded them like sweets as kids. The average cop wouldn’t have blinked an eye upon seeing a kid sharpening a scotch arrow with a six inch Bowie knife when I was a kid and a stabbing would’ve been front page news. I think gang culture, some of it imported, lack of moral guidance, lack of decent father figures/role models, poverty and weak policing/ sentencing all have a part to play in this problem.