Need Advice Setting Up A Cult

What’s required to set up a cult (oops, I mean religion) that has tax exempt status in the UK?

Going to call it “Sciencology Witnesses”, hoping to attract millions of members worldwide, and make a mountain of cash, to spend on sports cars, private islands, cocaine and high class hookers.

Edited by Waldo

When I was a kid I loved reading science fiction books which was handy as my dad had tons of them. One day I found some pulp type books from the 40’s or 50’s by the look of them. They were monthly publications, kind of a cross between a comic book and a paperback. Among the short stories were occasional factual articles. One was by a certain Mr Hubbard and it was entitled, “Want to be a millionaire? Start your own religion.” IIRC. He listed stuff like tax advantages, etc. This was the same guy that went on to found Scientology. Yup, a science fiction writer made up a religion based on aliens after publishing an article telling people how to make up a religion. So Waldo, there is a guide out there somewhere written by a hugely successful con man if only you can find it.

Thanks Jim. Am well aware of Hubbard’s history and connection with Fruitcakeology, err, I mean Scientology.

Do you still have the paperback containing Hubbard’s stories? Maybe worth something.

9 hours ago, Waldo said:

What’s required to set up a cult (oops, I mean religion) that has tax exempt status in the UK?

Going to call it “Sciencology Witnesses”, hoping to attract millions of members worldwide, and make a mountain of cash, to spend on sports cars, private islands, cocaine and high class hookers.

After you have spent your money on those things , are you going to waste what you have leftover?

10 hours ago, Waldo said:

Any charity will be exempt from tax. You just need a list of key principles that are for the common good of the people and three trustee committee members.

The leader of the charity can be paid £100,000+ and any other workers can be paid too. You could set up a non-profit making supermarket, selling food at cost for the good of the people, after leaders £100,000+ that is.

Not sure why non-profit making companies are not widespread

No Waldo, alas my parents had a clear out in the 80’s. If I did still have the book I would have done my best to make the Scientology nutters aware of their delusions.

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

Any charity will be exempt from tax. You just need a list of key principles that are for the common good of the people and three trustee committee members.

The leader of the charity can be paid £100,000+ and any other workers can be paid too. You could set up a non-profit making supermarket, selling food at cost for the good of the people, after leaders £100,000+ that is.

Nope - not from VAT if you set up a trading arm like a supermarket. You'd have to sell any Vatable goods at a higher price than competitors because you couldn't reclaim input tax [/ex charity finance manager pedantry].

12 hours ago, Waldo said:

I think certain elements in the Tory Party and Royal Family beat you to it.

16 hours ago, El Cid said:

Eton College is a charity. Providing education for the richest in the land. Not exactly for the common good....

16 hours ago, El Cid said:

Thanks El Cid.

I'm wondering what would constitute "for the common good of the people"? How is it decided if a particular would-be charity fits the bill or not?

Also, how do you even begin to measure that kind of thing? I'd think some 'religions', Jehovah's Witnesses, Scientology, that kind of thing, are anything but for the common good of the people, on the contrary these kind of religions seem mostly destructive, and in essence are about the concentration of power and resources going to a select few leaders. That's just the kind of cult I want to set up...

NOTE: I'm not sure as to the charity status of the aforementioned religious within the UK. I think Scientology is a tax exempt charity within the US, but perhaps not in the UK.

Sorry to disappoint everyone; but I've decided not to setup a cult. It just seems like a complete waste of time, that only a megalomaniac fruitcake would ever bother to do. Private islands and sexy cars and fast women and a never ending supply of consciousness altering substances, doesn't sound so appealing in light of the sure knowledge that I'd be ultimately screwing people over in order to acquire them.

You'll have to find someone else, some egotistical little twit to adore and obey and follow to your own demise.

Happy hunting!

Edited by Waldo