Kelham Island

5 hours ago, bungleboy69 said:

Sad news that the brewery is to close...

Very sad, love a pint of Pale Rider.

The brewery that brought real ale back into existance....Dave Wickett did a superb job...and the brewery 'trained' so many brewers who went on to start other similar breweries....Abbeydale to name but one....

Setting aside the well-established real ale pubs in the area and nearby, what 3 or 4 places would people recommend for a bar crawl in Kelham/Neepsend? I mean places that will be happy to serve you even if you have no intention of eating.

On 23/03/2023 at 12:51, Bilge said:

Setting aside the well-established real ale pubs in the area and nearby, what 3 or 4 places would people recommend for a bar crawl in Kelham/Neepsend? I mean places that will be happy to serve you even if you have no intention of eating.

There are a good few - Bar Kelham, Salt, Ship Inn, Parrot Club, Church, Fat Cat, Kelham Island Tavern, Gardners Rest, Heist and a little bit further out Riverside and Harlequin.

• Like 1

"...Bar Kelham, Salt, Parrot Club, Church, Heist."

Thanks. Any others anyone? 

On 26/03/2023 at 18:59, Bilge said:

"...Bar Kelham, Salt, Parrot Club, Church, Heist."

Thanks. Any others anyone? 

Not that I'm any special fan of it, but I always think The Millowners Arms deserves a mention. A nice place which I think suffers because it is well hidden - you have to go on to the actual 'island' itself behind the Fat Cat, turn right at the bessemer converter, go through the 'arch' past the museum entrance and it's on the right.

The Old Workshop on Hicks Street is quite nice too, though it's further from the 'pub' feel that you'd get in some of the others mentioned above (still lots of real ale etc on though). Even closer to 'cocktail-bar-not-pub' feel is Pina, on Harvest Lane. Don't recall if they do many interesting beers, but the venue is interesting.

Also, if you're heading to the area from town, think about some of the places around West Bar, like The Crow Inn, Shakespeares and a couple of other micro places on Gibraltar Street.

4 hours ago, AndrewC said:

Not that I'm any special fan of it, but I always think The Millowners Arms deserves a mention. A nice place which I think suffers because it is well hidden - you have to go on to the actual 'island' itself behind the Fat Cat, turn right at the bessemer converter, go through the 'arch' past the museum entrance and it's on the right.

The Old Workshop on Hicks Street is quite nice too, though it's further from the 'pub' feel that you'd get in some of the others mentioned above (still lots of real ale etc on though). Even closer to 'cocktail-bar-not-pub' feel is Pina, on Harvest Lane. Don't recall if they do many interesting beers, but the venue is interesting.

Also, if you're heading to the area from town, think about some of the places around West Bar, like The Crow Inn, Shakespeares and a couple of other micro places on Gibraltar Street.

I always forget about the Millowners, thanks for the reminder.

I went to the museum for the first time in several years recently. It seems better than ever. Millowners Arms is a welcome addition since I last went. 

Steelyard ,heist brew, gardners rest,  cutlery works, neepsend social, parrot club, factory floor, neepsend brew ,grafters, old workshop,  kelham kitchen wine bar, saw grinders , SALT, bar kelham, ship inn, fat cat , kelham island tavern ,  riverside .  all different bars that sell a wide variety of real ale , lagers  cocktails and some have great pork pies. 

7 hours ago, glynnbob said:

Steelyard ,heist brew, gardners rest,  cutlery works, neepsend social, parrot club, factory floor, neepsend brew ,grafters, old workshop,  kelham kitchen wine bar, saw grinders , SALT, bar kelham, ship inn, fat cat , kelham island tavern ,  riverside .  all different bars that sell a wide variety of real ale , lagers  cocktails and some have great pork pies. 

Whereabouts is Factory Floor?

The area is a key tourist attraction now and needs marketing as such, especially to visitors who may visit Sheff and never see it.

Does anyone know of a decent pdf A4 map with all the highlights on that can be printed? I know most people have smartphones, tablets and laptops these days but a paper leaflet can still be very useful and would help with planning outings to the area.