Kelham Island

We don't have a lot to be proud of in this city but one aspect that if nurtured correctly could be the jewel in the crown - Kelham Island, steeped in the industrial heritage that Sheffield was famous for its now home to some proper traditional pubs, fantastic independent eating places, the monthly Peddlers market and many innovative venues.

The only issue for me is that its all a bit spread out and some places are so tucked away that your not even aware they are there, it would be a great idea if someone could do a guide to the area with a map showing whats where, I'm sure someone could easily produce one, lets keep the area growing.

12 hours ago, top4718 said:

We don't have a lot to be proud of in this city but one aspect that if nurtured correctly could be the jewel in the crown - Kelham Island, steeped in the industrial heritage that Sheffield was famous for its now home to some proper traditional pubs, fantastic independent eating places, the monthly Peddlers market and many innovative venues.

The only issue for me is that its all a bit spread out and some places are so tucked away that your not even aware they are there, it would be a great idea if someone could do a guide to the area with a map showing whats where, I'm sure someone could easily produce one, lets keep the area growing.

I agree would be helpful. The transformation is for the better given the level of dereliction that existed in the past.

14 hours ago, top4718 said:

Try Google Maps and search for pubs or bars or restaurants, or whatever floats yer boat. I agree with the comment about being spread out. Steelyard Kelham is a good walk from say, Kelham Island tavern. Steelyard Kelham being a good example of something tucked away.

Edited by Bargepole23

9 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Try Google Maps and search for pubs or bars or restaurants, or whatever floats yer boat. I agree with the comment about being spread out. Steelyard Kelham is a good walk from say, Kelham Island tavern. Steelyard Kelham being a good example of something tucked away.

Exactly I walk round there sometimes see something with a name over the door and have no idea what it is, guide needed.

went to the Xmas fair there, numbers right down, Covid?

Nice houses at 360000 though..

On 20/09/2021 at 22:51, top4718 said:

Exactly I walk round there sometimes see something with a name over the door and have no idea what it is, guide needed.

I was looking for a new pub several weeks ago on Percy street,Had to google it and found it was behind the sandwich shop i was stood in front of.Consists of 2 shipping containers in the back yard.

whatpub.com offers a guide to pretty much every bar and pub although it is aimed more at the real ale drinker. There is also an article on the Sheffield CAMRA website listing pubs in the area with them all marked on a Google map at https://sheffield.camra.org.uk/2020/03/kelham-island-neepsend/.

There is also a more commercial local website featuring independent bars, restaurants, shops etc in the area https://www.thisissheffield.com/kelham-island/ including a loyalty card discount scheme run in partnership with some of the featured local businesses.

With Kelham Island, Neepsend and Shalesmoor merged into one big district it is spread out although there are a couple of key public transport corridors through the area:

- Supertram (Blue/Yellow routes) - the tram stop at Shalesmoor is handy for Kelham Island and the tram stop at Infirmary Road is handy for the Neepsend area.

- Buses 7 and 8 - runs through Bridgehouses and Neepsend stopping near the Harlequin, Riverside, Peddlers, Gardeners Rest/Cutlery Works and New Barrack Tavern.

You can download a bus and tram network map at https://travelsouthyorkshire.com/en-gb/journeyplanning/public-transport-maps.

I find it handy to get a bus or tram to the far end at Neepsend and work my way back towards town on foot, alternatively I'll walk down to Kelham from town and do a few pubs then get the tram back up the hill from Shalesmoor to West Street for late drinks - the last tram is gone midnight and even at that time runs every 15 mins.

Edited by Andy C

I’m writing on behalf of students at Longley Park Sixth Form who are currently investigating the redevelopment of Kelham Island and how sustainable it is for the local community. Their aim is to collect as much information as possible from local residents and stakeholders to assess the successes and areas for improvement in relation to development in the area. They have formulated a survey which takes about 5 minutes to fill in and would be delighted to collect responses from residents and anyone with links to the area. 

Students would welcome feedback on the survey itself and would be very happy to share the findings of the project with participants.

The link for the survey is included below. We would be very grateful if you could share the survey with others so we can get your perspectives on how  changes in the area are affecting the community. 

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfZdUfWxUMO1coXKtD-7Lcr6HSujmJ08OWbw1HXd0Vt2Q-MQQ/viewform?usp=sf_link  

Best wishes
LPSF 

It's a very popular area and not just for the booze, there are lots of eateries too.  I've often been sat on the tram and bus going home and heard people from out of town ask where it is.

On 18/04/2022 at 16:57, LovePotion said:

I always still think of that area as being run down. With it being so close to the Netherthorpe Estate, I think it must be quite dodgy at night. The restaurants and bars seem to be aimed at higher class clientele though, which is strange. I'll have to have a wander around on my day off.

Not run down at all. It’s highly gentrified now and very safe! Sure there’s still plenty of industrial developments but mixed with the bars, restaurants etc is what makes it so unique and quirky. If you go for a wander around, be sure to do so both in the day and evening as it will look very different and be mindful that the best places are off the beaten track

• Thanks 1