Jump to content

New Road Needed To City Centre

Recommended Posts

We already have the outer ring road from Meadowhead roundabout that is dual carriageway from where you can drop into the City Centre via City Road or the Parkway. These big roads are busy and congested. Meadowhead roundabout is also problematic with the volume of traffic.

 

To upgrade the road via Woodseats would require either this district shopping centre to be flattened or at least parking banned! Even if this did happen there would still be a bottleneck at Heeley. Abbeydale Road couldn't be upgraded without miles of housing and businesses being flattened.

 

Frankly there is little left that can be done to upgrade the roads capacity and nowhere to put new roads!

 

The worst time for traffic seems to be school run time, is there anything the schools can do to fix that?

 

The solution has to be to reduce the volume of traffic by getting more people to use public transport where that is a viable option.  It needs to be attractive to achieve that including reliable quick journeys. The trains from Dore & Totley and Dronfield stations easily achieve that, for buses to do the same bus lanes need to be present on all the bus roads and in operation (and enforced) all day. Park & Ride is perhaps something we need - the car park at Dronfield unfortunately isn't big enough and pre-covid Dore & Totley's was getting full - however there is also the issue of the train service being too infrequent. Is there potential for a bus users car park near Meadowhead? Or perhaps a tram extension from Herdings Park to a new car park somewhere around Norton?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ads36 said:

there are only so many hours in a day !

If you went by car instead of waiting around for public transport you'd find you had even more time to yourself ADS.

 

Keep safe ADS 

Rocker 8)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The tram network moves 1.2 million passengers per year and is due more upgrades over the next few years to take it up to 2028. 

Instead of the Y shaped network, make it continuous with a figure 8 shaped loop system connecting more areas with more trams with the facility for active transport users 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

Me saying "All" 

is the best you can pick me up on?

 

Again another post that has No 'viable' suggestion as to  how we could improve traffic flow be it public or private transport in and around Sheffield.

 

For now, I'll keep the car's, Motorcycles & bicycles & totally avoid public transport, Thanks!

 

(He who dies with the most toys, wins 🧐

 

Keep safe.

Because it's the single most important part of your post.

 

Nobody is suggesting every journey is by something other than car, or that every person travels by something other than car, only that some people, for some of their journeys use something other than a car,

 

The reduction in car volumes would improve traffic flow, and therefore is a very viable suggestion, and in fact is the most viable suggestion.

 

It really isn't that hard to grasp, is it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Andy C said:

We already have the outer ring road from Meadowhead roundabout that is dual carriageway from where you can drop into the City Centre via City Road or the Parkway. These big roads are busy and congested. Meadowhead roundabout is also problematic with the volume of traffic.

 

To upgrade the road via Woodseats would require either this district shopping centre to be flattened or at least parking banned! Even if this did happen there would still be a bottleneck at Heeley. Abbeydale Road couldn't be upgraded without miles of housing and businesses being flattened.

 

Frankly there is little left that can be done to upgrade the roads capacity and nowhere to put new roads!

 

The worst time for traffic seems to be school run time, is there anything the schools can do to fix that?

 

The solution has to be to reduce the volume of traffic by getting more people to use public transport where that is a viable option.  It needs to be attractive to achieve that including reliable quick journeys. The trains from Dore & Totley and Dronfield stations easily achieve that, for buses to do the same bus lanes need to be present on all the bus roads and in operation (and enforced) all day. Park & Ride is perhaps something we need - the car park at Dronfield unfortunately isn't big enough and pre-covid Dore & Totley's was getting full - however there is also the issue of the train service being too infrequent. Is there potential for a bus users car park near Meadowhead? Or perhaps a tram extension from Herdings Park to a new car park somewhere around Norton?

Tram-Train to Dore?

 

Tram-Train to Dronfield? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

Because it's the single most important part of your post.

 

Nobody is suggesting every journey is by something other than car, or that every person travels by something other than car, only that some people, for some of their journeys use something other than a car,

 

The reduction in car volumes would improve traffic flow, and therefore is a very viable suggestion, and in fact is the most viable suggestion.

 

It really isn't that hard to grasp, is it.

 

Neither is you are still not offering a viable alternative.

Edited by Rockers rule
additional info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rockers rule said:

Neither is you are still offering a viable alternative.

Sorry, don't understand that sentence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Andy C said:

We already have the outer ring road from Meadowhead roundabout that is dual carriageway from where you can drop into the City Centre via City Road or the Parkway. These big roads are busy and congested. Meadowhead roundabout is also problematic with the volume of traffic.

 

To upgrade the road via Woodseats would require either this district shopping centre to be flattened or at least parking banned! Even if this did happen there would still be a bottleneck at Heeley. Abbeydale Road couldn't be upgraded without miles of housing and businesses being flattened.

 

Frankly there is little left that can be done to upgrade the roads capacity and nowhere to put new roads!

 

The worst time for traffic seems to be school run time, is there anything the schools can do to fix that?

 

The solution has to be to reduce the volume of traffic by getting more people to use public transport where that is a viable option.  It needs to be attractive to achieve that including reliable quick journeys. The trains from Dore & Totley and Dronfield stations easily achieve that, for buses to do the same bus lanes need to be present on all the bus roads and in operation (and enforced) all day. Park & Ride is perhaps something we need - the car park at Dronfield unfortunately isn't big enough and pre-covid Dore & Totley's was getting full - however there is also the issue of the train service being too infrequent. Is there potential for a bus users car park near Meadowhead? Or perhaps a tram extension from Herdings Park to a new car park somewhere around Norton?

The first part of your post is much the same as my ramblings.

Enticing people into using Public Transport, cheaper fares, free for the elderly would be a start.

At least you haven't skirted around the problems of reliability, infrequency or the inadequacy's of parking facility's at some 'Park and Ride' railway stations.

The Railway idea is interesting. Off Peak much cheaper fares would be a start yet again unfortunately all the minor railway stations Heeley B'tm being a prime example have been shut for years and to re-open them would be near on impossible.

Perhaps a temporary Park and ride (and cheaper fares) as you suggest at Meadowhead/ Norton for a trial period ?

And again you mention Covid. The giant spanner in the works for community travel.

 

Keep safe.

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rockers rule said:

Neither is you are still not offering a viable alternative.

What's unviable about more people walking to a bus stop and catching a bus into town? In a lot of cases it comes down to "can't be bothered ". In which case, sit in your traffic jams and stop whining about traffic. You are the traffic. You are also slowing down those who have no realistic other option. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

What's unviable about more people walking to a bus stop and catching a bus into town? In a lot of cases it comes down to "can't be bothered ". In which case, sit in your traffic jams and stop whining about traffic. You are the traffic. You are also slowing down those who have no realistic other option. 

Not applicable.

We moved out of Sheff in 89.

Enjoy your gridlocks 8)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

What's unviable about more people walking to a bus stop and catching a bus into town? In a lot of cases it comes down to "can't be bothered ". In which case, sit in your traffic jams and stop whining about traffic. You are the traffic. You are also slowing down those who have no realistic other option. 

Hmmm... :huh:


OK... so who decides which people 'have no realistic other option'?

 

Everyone is obviously going to come up with some reason why they are a special case, so how will this be enforced?

 

And you seem to think that a 'reduction in car volumes would improve traffic flow'.

 

Surely improved traffic flow would encourage even more people to use their car?

 

Obviously you need to have a bit of a re-think about what is unviable about your suggestion...

 

It shouldn't be that hard to grasp, should it? :roll:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.