New Road Needed To City Centre

The cost of a parking permit doesn't even come close to the close of building the road that it's parked on.

One best way to reduce congestion and speed up journeys is to eliminate free on-street parking everywhere

Another way is to introduce 1:1 cycle parking, so for every suitable vehicle parking space, a suitable bike space is created next to it. Suitable would include adequate security and weatherproofing and a charging point to match the electric car charging point next to it.

25 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

Why would anyone want to go to the Lost island that is the new market? 

For gods sake, not this again. You mean the new market that is on numerous bus routes, is about 100 yards away from the ring road, and has car parking slap bang next to it?

52 minutes ago, bassett one said:

why be nasty,and buses dont sort the problem either,this is supposed to be a thread on how the travel to the city centre ,could be improved,not school ground bullish rubbish like that statement

Come up with some real world, actually workable solutions then, rather than building a train line on stilts from Meadowhead to the city centre via Woodseats.

1 hour ago, Bargepole23 said:

Permit holders are not everywhere, they are in very few places, and are generally requested by residents to reduce the blight on their lives caused by inconsiderate parking. https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/home/parking/apply-parking-permit/parking-permit-zones shows the areas of Sheff where they are used, and there is far from blanket coverage in those areas.

Biggers cars = bigger impact on infrastructure, so you should pay more

Don't drive a 2.4 litre car, nobody forces you to

Cost of fuel....use your car less

Fuel grades, neither of us know the definite outcome of that.

Insurance companies what? Too expensive?

Bus lane...the clues in the title. They are for buses, and also for more vunerable road users. If you are not capable of reading the very clear signage, hand in your licence.

Are you a net tax contributor? Meaning have you paid more tax in your lifetime compared to what you have received back? You might be surprised how much you need to pay in tax to be a net contributor. So like all areas of taxation, VED and fuel tax bring in more than is spent on road infrastructure. The difference goes elsewhere and has to be paid somehow. If not on fuel tax and VED, then where?

Hog wash. Did my elderly mother (Landsdown) ask for permit holder area being enforced?

Give you that one, the area is close to town.

Did the Father in law (off of London Rd) ask or even consulted about the introduction of the area being turned into a permit holder only area?

Were that many people parking up around London Rd to walk into Town? the answer is no.

Try parking anywhere near Broomhill or up near the Hallamshire, off Ecclesall Rd, etc, etc, etc all Permit holders only.

Your 'hardly blanket coverage' doesn't stand up.

Neither does the bigger car impact on infrastructure stand up.

1.2 Skoda Fabia petrol car road tax £155

1.6 Skoda Fabia Turbo diesel road tax  £20.

Both use the same road and both take up the same amount of road space.

Let's all drive Smart cars :nono:Let those who drive decide.

Win on the lottery & it won't be 2.4 i'll be driving :hihi:

Empty bus lanes and time restrictions.

Insurance companies all law to themselves, so, yes expensive and unregulated.

HAND MY LICENCE IN ? 

NOT A CHANCE 🧐

52 minutes ago, Tony said:

The cost of a parking permit doesn't even come close to the close of building the road that it's parked on.

One best way to reduce congestion and speed up journeys is to eliminate free on-street parking everywhere

Another way is to introduce 1:1 cycle parking, so for every suitable vehicle parking space, a suitable bike space is created next to it. Suitable would include adequate security and weatherproofing and a charging point to match the electric car charging point next to it.

Parking Permits are an additional charge to the Road Tax you are already paying  so how has it ever been Free Parking?

Not to mention an extra cost to the homeowner should god forbid anyone want to visit them.

Keep safe 8)

Edited by Rockers rule
additional info

3 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

Parking Permits are an additional charge to the Road Tax you are already paying so how has it ever been Free Parking?

Keep safe 8)

See this?

0_WhatsApp-Image-2021-07-31-at-122556.jp

That's free parking at everyone else's expense. The cost of a parking permit doesn't even cover the cost of painting the lines on the road, never mind paying for the free parking space itself. Every motorist is MASSIVELY subsidised. 

I would very much doubt this council or government will put money into tarmac for  a new road from Meadowhead ever unless there was an oil field under lidl's

Cycling for the masses from Heeley to Meadowhead is not an option, unless its a power assisted bike .

It would have to be a mass transit system, but the Chesterfield Road from the Scarsdale/Woodseat jct to KFC isnt Wide enough for any tram/ monorail.

My only suggestion would be run the tram alongside the railway through heeley to the bottom of Woodseats road, come up Woodseats road ,rejoin Chesterfield Road by kfc costa's and on to Meadowhead. Create a park and ride at Meadowhead .  Some houses will get knocked down and trees cut, so not a great suggestion but I've had a go!

Have a great day

9 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Cycling for the masses from Heeley to Meadowhead is not an option, unless its a power assisted bike .

so it is an option.

9 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

My only suggestion would be run the tram alongside the railway through heeley to the bottom of Woodseats road, come up Woodseats road ,rejoin Chesterfield Road by kfc costa's and on to Meadowhead. Create a park and ride at Meadowhead .  Some houses will get knocked down and trees cut, so not a great suggestion but I've had a go!

i think that's a great idea.

Edited by ads36

A duel carrageway from manor top down city road and duke street to the parkway roundabout,  just like prince of wales road.

14 minutes ago, Tony said:

See this?

0_WhatsApp-Image-2021-07-31-at-122556.jp

That's free parking at everyone else's expense. The cost of a parking permit doesn't even cover the cost of painting the lines on the road, never mind paying for the free parking space itself. Every motorist is MASSIVELY subsidised. 

See the Tax disc in the cars windows (ok you can't anymore) if the car is taxed & insured & with the amount of cameras about, few aren't,

So where is any 'FREE' parking?

Where is the 'at everyone expense'? Apart from the motorist who've already paid to use the road?

None of these householders have had to pay for a book of Permits for any one visiting, or as you can see White paint.

Keep safe.

1 minute ago, PRESLEY said:

A duel carrageway from manor top down city road and duke street to the parkway roundabout,  just like prince of wales road.

🤣🤣

Oh come on now. Have you been down that road recently? Houses and shops on both sides along its entire length bar the small section where the cemetery is.  Where do you propose these extra two lanes go?

51 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

For gods sake, not this again. You mean the new market that is on numerous bus routes, is about 100 yards away from the ring road, and has car parking slap bang next to it?

All of which are working admirably well.

As testified to by the number of empty shops :lol:

Bring back the days when you could drive up the Moor park up for nothing and go shopping.

Happy Daze.

Just now, Rockers rule said:

All of which are working admirably well.

As testified to by the number of empty shops :lol:

Bring back the days when you could drive up the Moor park up for nothing and go shopping.

Happy Daze.

Traffic hasnt been allowed down the Moor for decades now, correct?

My point still stands, the new market is slap bang next to a car park and has numerous bus routes running past it. I have no idea why the myth that the opposite is true continues on this forum.

1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

Traffic hasnt been allowed down the Moor for decades now, correct?

My point still stands, the new market is slap bang next to a car park and has numerous bus routes running past it. I have no idea why the myth that the opposite is true continues on this forum.

Have to admit :blush:

with my mother living on't Landsdowne walking  to the Moor is only minutes away (after using one of her permits)

& again i fully admit to not knowing the infrastructure around the are as regards to parking. 

Would i like to do a full shop & catch a bus from town? the answer would be no.

I do like the new Market, but the Moor certainly isn't what it once was. Shame because so much money has been spent to improve the area.

Love all the big stone work up around Charter Sq and Charter row and the Peace gardens are certainly better than when down and outs blighted the place.

I think, with so many out of town shopping centres (nearer to where people live) the need to travel into 'Town' is something of the past.

Love the idea of opening up Heeley Btm railway station up.

Shopping expedition's often started at Heeley, down London Rd, on t' Moor, down t' Fish Market, Rag & Tag & back on't train to Heeley.

Happy Daze.

Keep safe 8)