New Road Needed To City Centre

Would the opening poster like to offer a sensible suggestion as to a) where this new road goes, and b) who pays for it?

16 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Would the opening poster like to offer a sensible suggestion as to a) where this new road goes, and b) who pays for it?

I think the only route (aside from pie in the sky thinking, like tunnels and fly-overs) would be up Derbyshire Lane and through Graves Park. Can't see that getting much support though!

Whilst we are at it, let's build a ladder to the moon!

24 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

The gridlock is caused by cars, too many of them, trying to fit through Woodseats. You can point fingers wherever, but the fact remains, there are too many cars to fit on the current roads, and there is no room for more roads to Meadowhead.

A Supertram route to Meadowhead via Woodseats would alleviate some of the traffic, but enough to make a difference, no idea. Where would you run a Supertram route to Meadowhead without compulsory purchase, no idea.

A road on stilts over lots of peoples houses, not happening ever. No room to do it and no way it would be tolerated. Would you want to live in a house with a dual carriageway above, belching fumes and noise everywhere?

Until people can accept the fact that some personal effort is required to reduce car usage then nothing will change.

Fair points, but can I respectfully ask what you are doing personally Bargepole to reduce your car usage?

Serious question. I don't think anyone drives for fun these days, but because they have no alternative.

Cheap public transport got the boot back in the 70's, and is not so good these days.

Edited by Anna B

1 minute ago, Anna B said:

Fair points, but can I respectfully ask what you are doing personally Bargepole to reduce your car usage?

Serious question. I don't think anyone drives for fun these days, but because they have no alternative.

Cheap public transport got the boot back in the 70's, and is not so good these days.

Everyone has an alternative Anna and if you're not finding it fun to drive then perhaps you're the problem.

At some point anyone with anything between the ears will realise that they aren't stuck in the traffic - they are the traffic. Get a bike. Walk. Jog. Work nearer home. Let the kids walk themselves to school. Only run one car. TAKE CONTROL AND DO SOMETHING YOURSELF instead of complaining that somebody else should build a road / tram / monorail. 

12 minutes ago, Tony said:

Everyone has an alternative Anna and if you're not finding it fun to drive then perhaps you're the problem.

At some point anyone with anything between the ears will realise that they aren't stuck in the traffic - they are the traffic. Get a bike. Walk. Jog. Work nearer home. Let the kids walk themselves to school. Only run one car. TAKE CONTROL AND DO SOMETHING YOURSELF instead of complaining that somebody else should build a road / tram / monorail. 

I'd cycle more if it wasn't for the way many Sheffield car drivers behave. Its just not worth the risk. So I drive.

We need proper segregated cycle routes. But as we see at the moment there is a very angry backlash against anything to help cyclists from many of our car drivers, despite the fact its car drivers that can't behave sensibly driving the need for segregated cycle routes.

4 minutes ago, nightrider said:

I'd cycle more if it wasn't for the way many Sheffield car drivers behave. Its just not worth the risk. So I drive.

We need proper segregated cycle routes. But as we see at the moment there is a very angry backlash against anything to help cyclists from many of our car drivers, despite the fact its car drivers that can't behave sensibly driving the need for segregated cycle routes.

You have my utmost sympathy nightrider.  Not only do drivers (and I am one) that there is too much traffic but they also moan when cyclists do little things like riding on the pavement and sneaking through red lights to keep themselves out of the mortal danger caused by drivers.

Then, when some little thing comes along like the pop up cycle lanes and pedestrian areas we saw during Covid you'd think that every driver's firstborn had been killed by a biblical plague rather than the light go on in their head that they are the problem, not the bikes or pedestrians.

Edited by Tony

Great, this is about to become another motorist vs cyclist thread.

13 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Great, this is about to become another motorist vs cyclist thread.

Well it should not be. I drive a lot. I like to cycle. So I am both. The problem is not cyclists vs motorists - the problem is a substantial minority of drivers who are aggressive and angry all the time. The latter really need banning from roads to be honest - we are far too liberal about peoples right to use a machine that can easily kill when not used in a safe manner.

btw I also walk a lot and cannot recall even one incident of a cyclist endangering me. I have lost count of the near misses caused by drivers though when I am out walking or driving in my car.

Edited by nightrider

congestion gets a little bit worse every year.

we live in a city, there isn't space for more roads. 

we need to improve the car-alternatives : trams/buses/cycling - they're all more efficient ways of moving people (in terms of space used, per person moved)

THIS DOES NOT MEAN THAT DRIVING WILL BE BANNED !

clearly, some people don't want to hear this. I'm confident that even total, daily,  barely-moving-gridlock would not convince these people that we could maybe just *try* improving an alternative. The arguments are always the same, we need more lanes, we need fewer pedestrian crossings, fewer cycle lanes, we need to raise speed limits, we need tunnels, overpasses, more and free parking, etc. all of the suggestions are designed to encourage more driving, they're doomed to fail.

we've spent the last 70 years doing exactly that, all of those things, at *huge* expense, in terms of cost, space, and our health. it will never be enough. If we continue to prioritise car-use, in terms of funding, space, priority at junctions, etc. people will continue to choose driving, over the run-down alternatives.

The real world of city driving cannot ever look like the tv adverts, I'm sorry to have to tell you this - but i also know that you're not listening.

Edited by ads36

2 hours ago, Anna B said:

You can. I cycle to work each day, about 7 miles each way. Or rather, most days. The other days I either walk or use public transport.

I try to walk or use public transport where practical for non work trips. Sometimes, like food shopping, I drive.

The point being that one method doesn't fit all needs. No doubt some people need to drive to work in the city, and need their car. I have no problem with that. I'm also certain that plenty could catch a bus but don't want to. They are the journeys we need to shift to a different transport mode.

Edited by Bargepole23

could there not be a tram,taking in huge amounts of people from dronfield,lowedges,batemoor,meadowhead,jordanthorpe ect,this if priced correctly would ease the congestion and buit over or under could solve it.