New Road Needed To City Centre

2 minutes ago, Mr Bloke said:

Hmmm... :huh:

... and that's another thing! :rant:

How come people are allowed to use electric bikes on public roads, but not allowed to use electric scooters? :confused:

Can't remember for the moment, wasn't is something about wizards using them to escape after stealing babies' kidneys? 🤷‍♂️ 

3 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

What a load of futuristic, simplistic idealist nonsense and something that is never going to happen in our lifetime, Thankfully.

Sheffield's topography is hardly Cycle friendly and don't pretend it is. 

Me and my brother used to cycle from Highfields as youngster usually to the rocks at Burbage Edge and as far as Castleton.

Did we ride all the way - No. the end part of Psalter lane, the B'tm part of Ringinglow Rd and back up from Hathersage would be were the push part of 'push bike' comes in.

Who are all these cyclists that are magically going to appear?

People going to the many cutlery firms? and other places of mass employment? the ones that no longer exist!

We've all seen grainy footage of hoards of bicyclist flooding out of the factory gates, and they are exactly that, scenes from a distant age.

Most people worked near to where they lived so cycling or walking wasn't a problem.

I used to work at the S&E Archer Rd complex, a major employer at the time and often ran or cycled from Highfields to Millhouses.

4am starts and no public transport left no other option (pre 1st motorcycle).

Back on Subject. The need for a new road into the city centre was more about highlighting the build up of traffic and congestion around Woodseats and Meadowhead (other areas have since been included) and solving that problem.

The 'New Rd' question has been answered - there is no feasible place where a 'New Rd' could be built.

Encouraging people onto busses (even totally ignoring how Coronavirus continues to affected peoples movements) in theory is a great idea, but the practicalities and why so many people are suddenly going to want to use public transport or cycle just doesn't make sense.

Do more people want to go 'Shopping' into the city centre by bus? hardly practical, 'full shop' and compete with others for space on the return journey, when so many 'shopping' centres are nearer to home, offer free parking and excellent choice of goods not only food, all in one place. 

Pedestrianise  Ecclesall Rd, except for goods vehicles, cycles and buss' then what?

Where does all the traffic from Greystones, Ecclesall rd south and surrounding areas get routed to????

Sorry I forgot they'll be on the 'Buss' or cycling, silly me!

I can just see the more affluent of Fullwood, Ranmoor and Lodge moor after a hard day at the office pushing their bicycles back home.

Are you one of the secret Cyclist?

The ones polishing their mighty steeds just waiting for all of Sheffield's many Hills to magically flatten themselves overnight.

Best of luck! don't hold your breath.

Martin C at 62 i'm glad you don't need that extension.

Me I'm off to buy a 4.2 Jag🧐:blush::hihi:8)

Keep safe

Another load of made up situations that don't and never will exist.

Who's pedestrianising Ecclesall Rd? No mention at all of that on this thread?

Who does a full shop every time they visit town? I go to the supermarket in my car, as already stated. When I go into town I catch a bus or walk, and am never competing with others for space.

Sheffield's hills aren't the impenetrable barrier you suggest. With the appropriate bike, perfectly manageable.

4.2 Jag, are we supposed to be impressed, or humoured?

Edited by Bargepole23

12 hours ago, Martin C said:

I'm 62.  I've never learned to drive and therefore never owned a car.  Perfectly happy with all that. Cars are necessary to some but a luxury (and in some cases a penis extension) to many more. 

55 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

4.2 Jag, are we supposed to be impressed, or humoured?

T'was in reply to Martin C's post.

Remember Humour!

I wonder what people think the impact of recent rule changes on parking will have in this "New Roads needed" arguament?

Apparently, somebody has dictated that cars willl be fined if they park with the wheels on the pavement.  Assuming this is true, if all cars park wholely on the road, that limits the space left for cars to drive on.  In many cases (and I live on such a road), it is hard enough for normal cars to drive on now (and by the way, for mobility vehicles and prams to go on pavements), and emergency vehicles also occasionally have problems.  If all cars parked wholely on the road, I can't see them getting through.

This is on thread as it also relates to Chesterfield Road as well.

3 hours ago, Thirsty Relic said:

I wonder what people think the impact of recent rule changes on parking will have in this "New Roads needed" arguament?

Apparently, somebody has dictated that cars willl be fined if they park with the wheels on the pavement.  Assuming this is true, if all cars park wholely on the road, that limits the space left for cars to drive on.  In many cases (and I live on such a road), it is hard enough for normal cars to drive on now (and by the way, for mobility vehicles and prams to go on pavements), and emergency vehicles also occasionally have problems.  If all cars parked wholely on the road, I can't see them getting through.

The replies are going to be so predictable Thirsty.

3 hours ago, Thirsty Relic said:

That has been a local bye-law in London for ages - but not very well enforced. Where is your official information from?

58 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

That has been a local bye-law in London for ages - but not very well enforced. Where is your official information from?

Apologies - someone got it wrong and told me it had been decided, when it hasn't, at least not yet at least.

The last official word I heard was that the Government had commissioned and received a consultation on  the matter, one of the options recommended was a ban on pavement parking. 

This is a link to the consultation's results:

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/managing-pavement-parking

No decision as yet.....

3 minutes ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Apologies - someone got it wrong and told me it had been decided, when it hasn't, at least not yet at least.

The last official word I heard was that the Government had commissioned and received a consultation on  the matter, one of the options recommended was a ban on pavement parking. 

This is a link to the consultation's results:

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/managing-pavement-parking

No decision as yet.....

Fair enough - I was aware of this 'consultation'.

i go around my estate,they park on pavements,the grass verges,anywhere,its about time it was sorted,but i cannot see it being