New Road Needed To City Centre

Just now, Rockers rule said:

I do like the new Market, but the Moor certainly isn't what it once was.

You are comparing it with what it was maybe 40 years ago when cars were allowed down it. The Moor has improved quite considerably in, say, the last ten years.

52 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

See the Tax disc in the cars windows (ok you can't anymore) if the car is taxed & insured & with the amount of cameras about, few aren't,

So where is any 'FREE' parking?

Where is the 'at everyone expense'? Apart from the motorist who've already paid to use the road?

None of these householders have had to pay for a book of Permits for any one visiting, or as you can see White paint.

Keep safe.

See the bit in the middle where you can drive your car? That's the road. The part at the sides is free parking.

Seriously, what we pay for RFL doesn't even touch the sides when it comes to paying for roads in general, never mind the cost of a providing personal space on the public road to store vehicles for free.  Roads would be much cheaper, faster flowing, less polluting and generally much nicer if they were too narrow to park on. 

Edited by Tony

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

See the bit in the middle where you can drive your car? That's the road. The part at the sides is free parking.

Seriously, your own RFL doesn't even touch the sides when it comes to paying for roads in general, never mind the cost of a providing personal space on the public road to store your vehicle for free.  Roads would be much cheaper if they were too narrow to park on. 

What!

The part at the side is free parking?  No it isn't, it's part of the road if it has no restrictions, it's part of the road.

Providing personal space to store your vehicle for free? Apart from your own drive way even Permit holders only areas  haven't their 'own' designated space.

Roads would be cheaper if they were too narrow to park on?  What!

Don't follow me 🐘🐘 I'm lost !

6 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

What!

The part at the side is free parking?  No it isn't, it's part of the road if it has no restrictions, it's part of the road.

Providing personal space to store your vehicle for free? Apart from your own drive way even Permit holders only areas  haven't their 'own' designated space.

Roads would be cheaper if they were too narrow to park on?  What!

Don't follow me 🐘🐘 I'm lost !

Then you wont have any objections to the part either side being converted into cycle lanes and green space. 

Here's Sharrow Lane. It looks like a much nicer place to  live. :)  

Sheffield_vis_FINAL_1.png?itok=dac8EMsG

1 hour ago, Rockers rule said:

Hog wash. Did my elderly mother (Landsdown) ask for permit holder area being enforced?

Give you that one, the area is close to town.

Did the Father in law (off of London Rd) ask or even consulted about the introduction of the area being turned into a permit holder only area?

Were that many people parking up around London Rd to walk into Town? the answer is no.

Try parking anywhere near Broomhill or up near the Hallamshire, off Ecclesall Rd, etc, etc, etc all Permit holders only.

Your 'hardly blanket coverage' doesn't stand up

All of the permit parking schemes which were introduced were only put in after extensive consultation with local residents and businesses.

The schemes aren’t just permit holder only, there are free parking spaces in all of them and you can pay and display ( or get half an hour free for brief visits).

The schemes were put in to give residents some priority over others coming into the area to park.

34 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

All of the permit parking schemes which were introduced were only put in after extensive consultation with local residents and businesses.

The schemes aren’t just permit holder only, there are free parking spaces in all of them and you can pay and display ( or get half an hour free for brief visits).

The schemes were put in to give residents some priority over others coming into the area to park.

I don't agree with this. The road is public and residents should not get priority, and it causes a lot of problems for people commuting to e.g the uni (for whom public transport is not an option). If you want parking near your house pay you should pay for a house that contains off road parking.

Of course it would help if the uni would pay for enough parking spaces (or fund several park and ride to keep cars out of the city centre).

11 minutes ago, Tony said:

Then you wont have any objections to the part either side being converted into cycle lanes and green space. 

Here's Sharrow Lane. It looks like a much nicer place to  live. :)  

Sheffield_vis_FINAL_1.png?itok=dac8EMsG

Dream land 💤 but you'd still have the same problem, conveniently not showing how your 'parked' vehicles have gotten there and haven't shown  what happens when a vehicle wants to overtake the parked vehicles 🎳

Hope those riding up the road have prepared themselves for the slog up the rest of Sharrow lane.

Perhaps you could adjust the rendition so there are no hills in Sheffield at all.

No Hill's, No Cars, Bicycle only roads and living in  Sharrow , Pure Heaven.

And totally off subject.

34 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Hog wash, 'extensive consultation with residents'?

Wholesale Implementation. 

Could you op't out - NO.

@Rockers rule Perhaps you haven't quite realised, but in that image there aren't any parked cars.

34 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

Hope those riding up the road have prepared themselves for the slog up the rest of Sharrow lane.

Perhaps you could adjust the rendition so there are no hills in Sheffield at all.

Sharrow ? a slog ? it's barely worth mentioning. honestly, it's fine.

i'm old and asthmatic, i've got permanent nerve damage and a dicky hip. I get off and walk/push up Conduit, but that's about it.

(bikes have gears, hills are as easy as you want them to be)

21 minutes ago, Tony said:

@Rockers rule Perhaps you haven't quite realised, but in that image there aren't any parked cars.

Hmmm... :huh:

So is Sharrow Lane going to be a one-way street...

... or am I missing something? :confused:

23 minutes ago, Mr Bloke said:

... or am I missing something? :confused:

the image above is not an official 'plan', i think it's one individuals daydream of what it could look like, maybe.

(that's all it is, looks good though!)

every now and then, Sharrow gets closed off for a market, and it gets *rammed* with people. 

if i owned a buisness on Sharrow, i'd be screaming for more of that, not less.

Just now, ads36 said:

the image above is not an official 'plan', i think it's one individuals daydream of what it could look like, maybe.

(that's all it is, looks good though!)

every now and then, Sharrow gets closed off for a market, and it gets *rammed* with people. 

if i owned a buisness on Sharrow, i'd be screaming for more of that, not less.

If there was in a road in Sheffield needing pedestrianisation, Sharrowvale at the Hunters Bar end is it.  Allow access for deliveries but stop all other motorised traffic.

1 hour ago, nightrider said:

I don't agree with this. The road is public and residents should not get priority, and it causes a lot of problems for people commuting to e.g the uni (for whom public transport is not an option). If you want parking near your house pay you should pay for a house that contains off road parking.

Of course it would help if the uni would pay for enough parking spaces (or fund several park and ride to keep cars out of the city centre).

Conversely, don't work at the Uni if you need to park nearby.

I imagine the the Uni could fund all the park and rides in the world and a number of people would still choose to drive straight past them and clog up the surrounding roads, all the while proclaiming about their "right" to drive.