Ipswich Town Fc V Sheffield Wednesday

WELL  a full week to sort it out,poss in last game 69%, plus 83% accurate pass rate and 514 passes,so the stats are good,so we need goals urgent,so what do others think?

Stats mean absolutely nothing…points win prizes & on current form I wouldn’t expect anything other than another defeat..hope I’m wrong! 

i hope you are wrong,stats dont count,but just put them there for all to see,the stats are good,they talk the talk,but we need goals and wins

34 minutes ago, cmonkes said:

I disagree with people stating that stats don't count personally, instead I think the set a firm benchmark of where you are at, where you are doing the business and where the shortfalls are. In fact coaches use stats in order to analyse performances and pinpoint areas for improvement.

The stats above suggest like you say, Wednesday we're dominant in possession and did put the ball around successfully. Pass completion however, means nothing if it is sideways and backwards (which was uniteds shortfall last term).

The question being..... how do you turn dominance into results. As stated rightly, the only way is to put the ball in the back of the net. 

To be outclassed at home and to be second best in all stats, would have been a worry..... 

Yep your spot on, I put on the 1st page of the Shrews thread that based on individual player stats it would be a pretty close game, as it happened Wednesday changed the starting XI around which gave them a slight edge, but the end product, goals, killer passes, killer crosses remained about the same, and the result was a draw, more or less what Id said in my post, a close game.

Individuals stats dont lie, its a reflection of how they perform, obviously its more accurate after say 10/12 games and you 

can more or less forecast where a side will finish, unless, tactics change or you bring in new additions, that can alter the performance slightly.

Id checked the long term stats of the players wed signed before the season started so Id a fair idea wed brought quite a few duds in, hence why Ive been mostly negative in my comments, even when weve won, because I could see the bigger picture, we won games but werent convincing, they were games we could easily have lost or drawn .

Jack Hunt is currently the weakest player stats wise, Byers is close behind, then Marvin Johnson whose stats are way better when hes LWB as opposed to inside left, Hutchinsons stats are good due mostly to his passing and tackles won and the odd good through ball, but the rest are below whats required.

You then factor in DM as manager, whose not great tactically lets be fair, he plays the same way every week, see off that 15 minute storm and they fizzle out, but still try to play the same, its so easy to stop Wednesday its become embarrassing and its happened from the 1st game onwards.

Always going to be difficult for DM, the shambolic ownership must filter through to the dressing room, how he can focus is anyone’s guess.

Think Wednesday need to accept they are no longer the team that would wipe the floor 8-1 with top quality Uefa opposition at Hillsborough 

We are now scrapping it out with the likes of Fleetwood and Accrington Stanley

This is not good, I think a 0-0 draw here

Edited by rogets

Serious question

I have listened to a couple of commentaries and interviews, in all of them the  idea that all the clubs in L1 see SWFC as "their cup final", therefore the owls have to be "on it" all the time at every game. Heard this from the Radio Sheff guys, the summariser (Pearson?) and even from the manager.

How much do you think this affects the players?

Do they think they are better than the other clubs and just have to turn up for the points?

23 hours ago, rogets said:

Think Wednesday need to accept they are no longer the team that would wipe the floor 8-1 with top quality Uefa opposition at Hillsborough 

We are now scrapping it out with the likes of Fleetwood and Accrington Stanley

This is not good, I think a 0-0 draw here

I think most owls accepted that a long time ago.

We'll do well to draw this currently

21 hours ago, Vasquez Rich said:

Serious question

I have listened to a couple of commentaries and interviews, in all of them the  idea that all the clubs in L1 see SWFC as "their cup final", therefore the owls have to be "on it" all the time at every game. Heard this from the Radio Sheff guys, the summariser (Pearson?) and even from the manager.

How much do you think this affects the players?

Do they think they are better than the other clubs and just have to turn up for the points?

I think that old saying is over used and ridiculous, it's been used for years as an excuse for losing, the top and bottom of it is if you play better than the opposition you usually win.

Teams don't all of a sudden get better because they play Wednesday what is more likely is players get complacent and only think they need to turn up.

I'll be travelling down to Suffolk for this one, not expecting much except a good night in Isaacs after the game 😄