Year Of The Staycation?

42 minutes ago, West 77 said:

That's sensible advice and I intend to register any project with the DVLA and have it inspected.  I won't be going down the touring caravan route.

Nothing wrong with Caravanning apart from the hike in cost of parking  up for a night since more people are holidaying at home.

39 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

I agree with you.

Wasn't me who said it :confused:

Keep safe.

I did a list back in April of 2020 (copied from Been-there-0r-not-been-there April 14th 2020 #1162) of local easy to reach from Sheff ,places of interest/ unusual place all worth visiting that could all make excellent days out.

Having checked the list i'd suggest checking on't internet before setting off Covid has caused havoc  as we all know.

I know the Thackery museum at Leeds has had a facelift  and i think is now reopened, but just double check on't other suggestions 

Whitby - (our lass's famous words " shall we climb the steps"  - 3 stop's on the way up - why do I listen to her?)

Staiths      (not as nice as Robin Hoods Bay IMO)

Cressida (and others out there) take note of all the strange and different places we have taken  our kids to over the years and when this Coro V is over try a few.

We used to open our UK road Map and look for points of interest close enough for a day visit.

Along the way we've found some very interesting places more or less on our door step and easy drives from Sheff, Roth & Donni & away from the obvious Coast and slot machine routine. (tight Scott'sman)

Check these out on't internet & when all this is over give some of these places a try.

1. Alkborough (Julians Bower)  this place is so Quite sat on the intersection of the rivers Trent, Ouse & Humber you could almost see the Viking ships making their way up to York.  the place really is special.

2. Rowtor Rocks, Arbor Low, Nine Ladies - all these are in the Birchover area (Matlock Chatsworth)

Rowtor Rocks probably not so good for young children & those who don't like heights but what a place (Google it)

Nine Ladies (standing stones) within walking distance of Rowtor Rocks or you can park up nearer. no where as impressive as Stonehenge but again nice place to relax, there are a few other places of interest in this are again Google it.

Arbor Low our very own Stonehenge. the stones have been laid down at some point but again a magical place. parking was easy enough & reasonable entrance fee.

3. Leeds within easy reach of Sheffield.

Kirkstall Abbey free to get in and a good proportion of it is open enough to get an idea of what it was like when it was in use. there is a Museum aross the road (near to the free car park) there is a charge for the museum bit like York museum (on a smaller scale) & the kids could get dressed in period costume.

Thackray medical Museum  Ok so you probably wouldn't think of visiting a medical museum but our kids (&me) loved this place our lass wasn't to keen on the street scenes which include how the streets would have smelt (Back st Butchery etc) again similar to York museum + lots more and it wasn't that expensive again Google it.

Temple Works (Holbeck) you wont find this as a tourist destination and the building isn't open to the public BUT where else can you find a piece of Egypt on your doorstep? check it out on google - a former Flax mill that the owner used to have his flock of sheep grazing on the roof.

Marsden (Standage Tunnel boat tours) 3 miles in a glass top boat through a mountain. excellent when the temperature is on the high side. our kids loved this again Google it. and Marsden village is well worth a walk about as are some of the other villages in this area.

Malham Cove - what's to say about this place - youv'e seen the pictures  - now go and stand on top of it (well not now but when all this is over)- Magical.

Spurn Head (Spurn Point) sit and watch the boats go out 

Fort Paull - visit this on your way to Spurn point. lots of reenactments (and car shows) here google for dates. place is a little run down but is steeped in history the Bevery aircraft is there now (and you can go inside it).

Creswell Crags on our doorstep full of history - cave tours- excellent visitors centre and nice walks.

Gibralta Point if your down at Skeggi check out Gibralta point nature reserve watch the seals on the sandbanks while sitting on some of the finest sands around & your away from the crowds - sounds good.

Victoria Tower -  yep that Tower on the hill side as you drop down into Huddersfield - go on visit it. fantastic views and when the tower itself is open (bank holidays) even better views.

Dale Abbey - Hermits cave Derby  Not that far out really but well worth a visit. the only part of the Abbey itself is the end wall which stands in some ones garden. Hermits cave is in the woods nearby , again google it.

Wales - ok a little bit further out but not that much difference (journey wise) from going to Skeggi. now for a Scot's man to say this place is Magical is quite something so check these places out.

Portmerion - We just love this place steeped in history,  google it - visit it you won't be disappointed. No 1 on yer bucket list

Bangor pier - yes youv'e heard the song go and visit it on your way to Anglsey. We had a lovely day.

Anglesey - the whole place is Magical - go on go for it. 

Penmon Priory (Anglesey) steeped in history - love this place, quiet - chill out

The Great Orme - A must for any ones bucket list.

Great Orme mine - stick you in the ground with a helmet on - google it & visit it excellent day out. (& second hand books for sale - perfect)

Great Orme cemetery  (St Tudno's) - ok sounds Spooky visiting grave yards but what a place this is - google it check out the winged wheel grave stone. The quality on most of the grave stones there are amazing and history to the graves can easily be found on't internett.

Finally for all you Mechanically minded out there

The Bubble Car Museum (i think it has moved from where we last visited it) google it. - visit it some very nice quirky motors there.

OK  although being a recovery driver i've always had a strange thing for Reliants - you know how it used to be - pass your Motorcycle test, come the winter buy a 3 wheeler get married, have kids & when you couldn't get any more kids shoe-horned into the 3 wheeler pass your car test - well we did all that but still I have that thing for Relint's finest (as well as anything with an engine and wheels lol)

So there you are.

after all this is all over I want you ALL out there checking out these places - most of them are on your Door step. 

Some of them are free (Scott's man) others are cheap enough.

Till then - Take Care - Keep Safe & see you on the Other side.

Rocker.

Don't forget to check before setting off.

15 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

Nothing wrong with Caravanning apart from the hike in cost of parking  up for a night since more people are holidaying at home.

Wasn't me who said it :confused:

Keep safe.

I did a list back in April of 2020 (copied from Been-there-0r-not-been-there April 14th 2020 #1162) of local easy to reach from Sheff ,places of interest/ unusual place all worth visiting that could all make excellent days out.

Having checked the list i'd suggest checking on't internet before setting off Covid has caused havoc  as we all know.

I know the Thackery museum at Leeds has had a facelift  and i think is now reopened, but just double check on't other suggestions 

Whitby - (our lass's famous words " shall we climb the steps"  - 3 stop's on the way up - why do I listen to her?)

Staiths      (not as nice as Robin Hoods Bay IMO)

Cressida (and others out there) take note of all the strange and different places we have taken  our kids to over the years and when this Coro V is over try a few.

We used to open our UK road Map and look for points of interest close enough for a day visit.

Along the way we've found some very interesting places more or less on our door step and easy drives from Sheff, Roth & Donni & away from the obvious Coast and slot machine routine. (tight Scott'sman)

Check these out on't internet & when all this is over give some of these places a try.

1. Alkborough (Julians Bower)  this place is so Quite sat on the intersection of the rivers Trent, Ouse & Humber you could almost see the Viking ships making their way up to York.  the place really is special.

2. Rowtor Rocks, Arbor Low, Nine Ladies - all these are in the Birchover area (Matlock Chatsworth)

Rowtor Rocks probably not so good for young children & those who don't like heights but what a place (Google it)

Nine Ladies (standing stones) within walking distance of Rowtor Rocks or you can park up nearer. no where as impressive as Stonehenge but again nice place to relax, there are a few other places of interest in this are again Google it.

Arbor Low our very own Stonehenge. the stones have been laid down at some point but again a magical place. parking was easy enough & reasonable entrance fee.

3. Leeds within easy reach of Sheffield.

Kirkstall Abbey free to get in and a good proportion of it is open enough to get an idea of what it was like when it was in use. there is a Museum aross the road (near to the free car park) there is a charge for the museum bit like York museum (on a smaller scale) & the kids could get dressed in period costume.

Thackray medical Museum  Ok so you probably wouldn't think of visiting a medical museum but our kids (&me) loved this place our lass wasn't to keen on the street scenes which include how the streets would have smelt (Back st Butchery etc) again similar to York museum + lots more and it wasn't that expensive again Google it.

Temple Works (Holbeck) you wont find this as a tourist destination and the building isn't open to the public BUT where else can you find a piece of Egypt on your doorstep? check it out on google - a former Flax mill that the owner used to have his flock of sheep grazing on the roof.

Marsden (Standage Tunnel boat tours) 3 miles in a glass top boat through a mountain. excellent when the temperature is on the high side. our kids loved this again Google it. and Marsden village is well worth a walk about as are some of the other villages in this area.

Malham Cove - what's to say about this place - youv'e seen the pictures  - now go and stand on top of it (well not now but when all this is over)- Magical.

Spurn Head (Spurn Point) sit and watch the boats go out 

Fort Paull - visit this on your way to Spurn point. lots of reenactments (and car shows) here google for dates. place is a little run down but is steeped in history the Bevery aircraft is there now (and you can go inside it).

Creswell Crags on our doorstep full of history - cave tours- excellent visitors centre and nice walks.

Gibralta Point if your down at Skeggi check out Gibralta point nature reserve watch the seals on the sandbanks while sitting on some of the finest sands around & your away from the crowds - sounds good.

Victoria Tower -  yep that Tower on the hill side as you drop down into Huddersfield - go on visit it. fantastic views and when the tower itself is open (bank holidays) even better views.

Dale Abbey - Hermits cave Derby  Not that far out really but well worth a visit. the only part of the Abbey itself is the end wall which stands in some ones garden. Hermits cave is in the woods nearby , again google it.

Wales - ok a little bit further out but not that much difference (journey wise) from going to Skeggi. now for a Scot's man to say this place is Magical is quite something so check these places out.

Portmerion - We just love this place steeped in history,  google it - visit it you won't be disappointed. No 1 on yer bucket list

Bangor pier - yes youv'e heard the song go and visit it on your way to Anglsey. We had a lovely day.

Anglesey - the whole place is Magical - go on go for it. 

Penmon Priory (Anglesey) steeped in history - love this place, quiet - chill out

The Great Orme - A must for any ones bucket list.

Great Orme mine - stick you in the ground with a helmet on - google it & visit it excellent day out. (& second hand books for sale - perfect)

Great Orme cemetery  (St Tudno's) - ok sounds Spooky visiting grave yards but what a place this is - google it check out the winged wheel grave stone. The quality on most of the grave stones there are amazing and history to the graves can easily be found on't internett.

Finally for all you Mechanically minded out there

The Bubble Car Museum (i think it has moved from where we last visited it) google it. - visit it some very nice quirky motors there.

OK  although being a recovery driver i've always had a strange thing for Reliants - you know how it used to be - pass your Motorcycle test, come the winter buy a 3 wheeler get married, have kids & when you couldn't get any more kids shoe-horned into the 3 wheeler pass your car test - well we did all that but still I have that thing for Relint's finest (as well as anything with an engine and wheels lol)

So there you are.

after all this is all over I want you ALL out there checking out these places - most of them are on your Door step. 

Some of them are free (Scott's man) others are cheap enough.

Till then - Take Care - Keep Safe & see you on the Other side.

Rocker.

Don't forget to check before setting off.

What a great post! Thanks for that.

I've been out and about - from the house - a dozen times,  my energy level is so low that I haven't had the inclination to go far and although it has been considered safe to go out I am being cautious,  I don't know who has got what and I won't risk bringing anything back to my children.

I have spent the money I have saved on ebay and have some great bargains,  the weather has mostly been warm and that is cheering (as well as my calendar of Mr Neeson)  so if he wants to come and carry me off he's welcome!

There is nothing wrong with holidaying in this country except the weather letting you down, but I would ceartainly not go anywhere abroad untill the all-clear is given.