Year Of The Staycation?

At the end of Summer, I was just wondering what people made of spending their holidays in Britain this year? Especially those who haven't holidayed in Britain for a long time.

For example;    Where did you go?    What did you find?    How did it compare to a holiday abroad?

Did the kids enjoy it?    What about cost?   Anything interesting happen?    Would you reccommend it to a friend?

Will you be doing it in future when lockdown is no longer an issue?

Or did you risk a trip abroad?    Etc.

I didn't go this year, but my own opinion is that you can't beat Britain if the weather is good. But it can be expensive,  especially with kids.

What do you think?

Edited by Anna B

A staycation is you holiday at home, maybe visiting local attractions, not you have a holiday away from your home but don't go abroad.

Are you wanting to discuss people holidaying in the UK or people holidaying at home?

There are beautiful places in Britain that are as nice as abroad.  You can’t beat the Lake District, Helmsley in North Yorkshire and The Peak District.

We always (or did) staycate! Wales being our Fav, nice to go back to Scotland, but Wales is a darn sight closer :hihi:

Gave it a miss this last year or so, and may have to do for a while yet.

The quite caravan site we've used for years is now fully booked for the next two years :suspect:

Keep safe. Get yourself abroad so we can get back to Wales :hihi:

8 hours ago, altus said:

A staycation is you holiday at home, maybe visiting local attractions, not you have a holiday away from your home but don't go abroad.

Are you wanting to discuss people holidaying in the UK or people holidaying at home?

I thought this year particularly, a staycation was a holiday anywhere in the UK/Britain. That's how it seems to be referred to in the media, and I would have thought the original post points to that.

Edited by Anna B

We have enjoyed many a European city break in recent years because we enjoy interesting cities.

This year we have had cottage breaks in the Yorkshire Dales,Sheringham and we will be in the Snowdon area at the end of the month.

Perhaps luckily we have fallen on spectacularly good weather which makes a big difference.

I have never had much luck with Welsh weather in the past,but fingers crossed.

To be honest I think I have had enough of airports over the years.

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

I thought this year particularly, a staycation was a holiday anywhere in the UK/Britain. That's how it seems to be referred to in the media, and I would have thought the original post points to that.

I was just railing (undoubtedly futilely) at the changing use of the word. Language changes, I know that, it would have been nice if a new term had been invented rather than misappropriating an existing one though. We now no longer have a word to describe holidaying at home.

Given the additional expense of a UK holiday compared to a cheap Mediterranean one, particularly when the demand caused by lack of international travel has UK boosted prices, there's probably a useful discussion to be had about things you can do as day trips from Sheffield for those who can't afford the current inflated prices of UK holidays.

i am off to blackpool,cheap and okay,but its whatever you want,at this time of year blackpool has everything ,if it rains or not,but i prefer yarmouth or whitby,but theres loads of choice for everyone,but its our weather that is iffy,that lets us down against spain ect.

2 minutes ago, West 77 said:

I've not been on any holiday this year and don't really fancy staying in any hotels during the pandemic.  There are lots of nice places throughout Britain to visit and stay in.  The people in the best position are camper van or motor home owners.  I'm looking into converting a van into a camper but now is not a good time to buy a van because the supply of good second hand vans is low meaning the prices are too high.  It makes sense to holiday in Britain rather than risk problems in getting back from abroad as a consequence of the pandemic. Also it's better to spend money in our own country to boost local economies rather than doing it abroad.

Converting your own van is often frowned upon by insurance company's.

If you think the price of vehicles have gone up check the price of touring caravans.

Keep safe.

8 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

Also it's better to spend money in our own country to boost local economies rather

I agree with you.

Apart from the initial 'panic' period where almost anywhere but your living room was off-limits, I've not been over inconvenienced. Obviously, train/coach travel has been 'different', but not impossible and living on the outskirts, I've been able to walk in the countryside fairly easily.

My holidays have obviously been a little restricted, as have my transport rally/museum trips, but I have been able to visit a couple of friends some distance away, being sensible about my behaviour/arrangements.

As to going out of the country - I'd love to, but until things settle down, as they will, it is just not worth the added hassle (and cost).

Edited by RollingJ
Added comment

We're busier than we normally are for a September. Yesterday was mental for pints lol