Strong Bottled Ales - What's Your Favourite?

On 31/03/2022 at 17:43, FIRETHORN1 said:

I've recently got more and more into drinking Brewdog's Mr President IPA. It's very strong- at 9.2% - but very more-ish. Tesco sell it in 440ml cans - not just the titchy 330ml bottles. Quite expensive though - at £3.50 a can. I also recently tried a can of a super-strong IPA from Northern Monk, which I bought in Morrison's - again over 9% and very tasty - but even pricier - at £4.50 for a 44oml can. I guess I'm a bit of a self-indulgent fool for paying this much for a single can of beer. Its daylight robbery really- but my excuse is that it's an occasional treat - and with beer this strong, you only need one can (or maybe two, at a push) to give you a proper beer-buzz.

Beer is pretty pricey these days. Very well respected local brewery St Mars of the Desert charge a fiver for their 440ml cans, although you're getting exceptional beer for that. I can't afford to drink it regularly but for the odd occasion it's worth the extra. Some of their beers are very strong and sold in half pints at the tap.

Edited by Delbow

Tynt Medow (English Trappist) is nice. it's 7.4%. Had some  nice stouts from Moor Brewery in Bristol. Batallas Double Stout, the rum and whisky ones 9.4%

Thanks Delbow. That St Mars of the  Desert sounds really interesting - I will keep my eye out or it. Thanks to you too Zinger 549. I'd never heard of Tynt Meadow and was intrigued by your info about strong stouts - up to 9.4%. I really love a strong stout, because they tend to have a big alcoholic kick, without also having that thick, claggy, treacly texture of a strong ale. I'm currently treating myself to the occasional can of Northern Monk's"Norseman III" strong stout. It's 9 percent and really delicious ,,,,but far too expensive to drink on a regular basis.

On 06/04/2022 at 17:53, FIRETHORN1 said:

Thanks Delbow. That St Mars of the  Desert sounds really interesting - I will keep my eye out or it. Thanks to you too Zinger 549. I'd never heard of Tynt Meadow and was intrigued by your info about strong stouts - up to 9.4%. I really love a strong stout, because they tend to have a big alcoholic kick, without also having that thick, claggy, treacly texture of a strong ale. I'm currently treating myself to the occasional can of Northern Monk's"Norseman III" strong stout. It's 9 percent and really delicious ,,,,but far too expensive to drink on a regular basis.

I just read a review of Norse Star III (is that what you meant?). Looks cracking.

Not as strong as the Northern Monk stout, but I've just had Acorn Brewery's Gorlovka (6%). Quite strong on the liquorice flavour, very nice (if you like liquorice).

On 06/04/2022 at 17:53, FIRETHORN1 said:

If you look for the imperial stouts they tent to be stronger.

Yes Delbow - Norse Star III - that's the one. It really is cracking - if you can bear to fork out £4.50 for one can of beer! I'll look out for that Acorn Brewery beer you mentioned - I like liquoricey flavours. The Tynt Medow beers mentioned by Zinger549 sound interesting too

EKU 28, this was  the usually birthday drink in The Fat Cat. Strong beers are not thing though