Things Sheffield Has That No Other City Has

On 23/06/2022 at 16:48, Alextopman said:

I CAN'T MAKE YOU DO ANYTHING.

What he should do is insert a picture of himself, so we can all see what a real idiot looks like. 

On 21/12/2021 at 22:52, echo beach said:

Turn the clock back 55 years and you could walk in off the street and ride the Paternoster lift as many times as you wanted.

However, it's not like that today,  Took one of my granddaughters to see it last year and, no doubt  for security's sake you need permission to enter the building. How times have changed!

At least we could go into the Western Park Museum complete with its stuffed polar bear and sumo wrestlers. Ah, the childhood memories.

echo

I managed to wander in and take a ride on it about four years ago. It was about 4pm on a Friday and it was still running but there weren't many people about by then.

I would guess that they've got tighter on security since then, though, especially since Covid when they would have had to do track & trace and they might have decided to keep those extra security arrangements in place permanently so presumably everyone who isn't a student or a member of university staff has to sign in at the porters' lodge by the entrance and give a valid reason for being there, and collect a visitor's pass (as has been the case in many office buildings for years).

I think they're probably also much more paranoid about undesirables coming in and stalking students than they would have been back in the 1960s, 70s and 80s.

But there is a window at the back of the building where you can stand and see the paternoster in operation from outside. I think it's only normally in operation on Mondays to Fridays during normal office hours, about 8 or 9am until about 5.30 or 6pm I think.

Edited by AY1975

On 05/08/2022 at 16:15, Padders said:

Your probably right Crookesey,

Although I wouldn't class Lady's Bridge and Moorfoot as being part of the City Centre.

When the markets were in Haymarket along with a few other big stores, I'd say Sheffield City Centre did more or less start at Lady's Bridge and stretch in one long line to the bottom of the Moor, which is why the city clipper was conceived to make it more manageable. 

I've  not been down town for so long I'm not sure where it starts now that the markets, BHS etc have closed down.

The Council might be trying their best, but it's not a patch on what it once was.  

54 minutes ago, Anna B said:

When the markets were in Haymarket along with a few other big stores, I'd say Sheffield City Centre did more or less start at Lady's Bridge and stretch in one long line to the bottom of the Moor, which is why the city clipper was conceived to make it more manageable. 

I've  not been down town for so long I'm not sure where it starts now that the markets, BHS etc have closed down.

The Council might be trying their best, but it's not a patch on what it once was.  

Hello Anna,

I'd go even further - the Town run started at Heeley Btm and the decline started with the building of the monstrosity known as the Manpower Services Building  :suspect:

Happy Daze catching train back to Heeley after being t' Rag n Tag.

Keep safe out there 8)

On 23/06/2022 at 10:09, HeHasRisen said:

You could just admit you were talking nonsense rather than throwing insults around.

If you can't beat them, join them: given you are from Pitsmoor I assume you struggled to gain a single GCSE?

Is this post for real ???

1 hour ago, pattricia said:

Is this post for real ???

Yes, I was posting an insult in reply to one to me. Alls fair in love and war.

Edited by HeHasRisen
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Yes, I was posting an insult in reply to one to me. Alls fair in love and war.

Bless her,

It's taken 6 months to ask.

• Haha 1

Chantry Inn Handsworth (formally Cross Keys), one of three pubs in the country built on consecrated ground, the others I believe aren't in cities.

Perhaps I'm being cynical but the question in the OP feels like a bad faith question coming from someone with a predetermined notion that there is nothing particularly special or unique about Sheffield, but why does there have to be?

'Things Sheffield Has That No Other City Has.'

Me.  You lucky people.