Things Sheffield Has That No Other City Has

On 04/11/2021 at 11:27, hauxwell said:

Atkinsons Department Store On The Moor

I’m sure it’s still family owned.  I love to browse round the old shop.  it’s an achievement when you look at how other department stores have closed over the years.  It can proudly sing Elton John’s song  “I’m Still Standing”.  

I’m pleased that this Sheffield family owned store has taken advantage of the nationals that have run for the hills, may it survive and prosper.

51 minutes ago, pitsmoorboy said:

A useless City Council. 

I'm sure that there are useless councils all over the UK

Off topic however, if Sheffield had two Premier League football clubs with both doing well, I reckon that it could be the catalyst for the City of Sheffield to move up a division or two.

On 26/10/2021 at 20:40, hackey lad said:

I would love to see this . Do you know if a member of the public could walk in for a look ?

Turn the clock back 55 years and you could walk in off the street and ride the Paternoster lift as many times as you wanted.

However, it's not like that today,  Took one of my granddaughters to see it last year and, no doubt  for security's sake you need permission to enter the building. How times have changed!

At least we could go into the Western Park Museum complete with its stuffed polar bear and sumo wrestlers. Ah, the childhood memories.

echo

On 26/10/2021 at 20:23, S1 1DJ said:

I understand the other was at Leicester University, which has been replaced with a standard lift.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-42339097

If so, it's now unique to the UK!

With the one at Leicester University having gone I thought that meant Sheffield was the last remaining UK university with a paternoster, but apparently the Albert Sloman Library at the University of Essex in Colchester also still has one. I believe that it was out of action for refurbishment for a while but has recently reopened. The library web page even tells you what hours the paternoster is in operation today: https://library.essex.ac.uk/home

So I think that means Essex and Sheffield are the only two remaining UK universities with working paternosters. Several others that were built in the 1950s and 60s had them when built, but they gradually fell out of favour from the 1970s and 80s onwards because of concerns about their safety and their unsuitability for disabled people or for carrying anything heavy or bulky.

There is a separate thread on the Sheffield University Arts Tower paternoster at 

The 1pm siren in the city centre - not sure if any other UK towns or cities have a time signal (other than a striking clock) apart from the one o' clock gun in Edinburgh. There is a separate thread on this at 

9 hours ago, Tipstaff said:

A bear pit ?

There’s one in Leeds on Cardigan Road.

• Like 1