Things Sheffield Has That No Other City Has

6 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

Not unique to Sheffield.

But the highest in Europe in the tallest academic building in the UK.

what about the pond street swimming pool that was to small? the old housing office and wedding cake they didnt last long did they?never mind the bald xmas tree on the moor one year 1st week dec

On 25/10/2021 at 07:12, Annie Bynnol said:

But the highest in Europe in the tallest academic building in the UK.

I understand the other was at Leicester University, which has been replaced with a standard lift.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-42339097

If so, it's now unique to the UK!

15 minutes ago, S1 1DJ said:

I understand the other was at Leicester University, which has been replaced with a standard lift.

I would love to see this . Do you know if a member of the public could walk in for a look ?

3 hours ago, S1 1DJ said:

No it’s not.

https://lnwh.nhs.uk/news/paternoster-lifts-hospitals-spirits-2154/

12 hours ago, hackey lad said:

I would love to see this . Do you know if a member of the public could walk in for a look ?

Officially as it is a private building and you would need permission or reason for being there-  you should give the University a ring.

Have just visited Leeds for the day and it made me realise what Sheffield has and that’s a crap city centre area, Leeds was packed, plenty of shops, quirky Arcades, a good market, a far better vibrant feel and a better family experience,  just a far better City centre to visit, relax and enjoy.

What has Sheffield got? Run down shops, rubbish market, groups of drug using down and outs, high street daytime stabbing, lots of beggars, large run down areas(old Market area) and a ever increasing immigrant population who seam to be contributing little. It’s not until you visit a decent City centre that you realise how run down the City centre is becoming, sorry to say.

People are going on about football teams and a road under the canal, yeh great. 

I don't think the city centre has anything on Leeds or Manchester but also don't think it is as run down as people describe on here... just had a wander round and it was packed!

There's decent independent shops and places to eat, market on Fargate going on this week (and plenty of other good new ones like Pollen Street Market, Hedgrow Market), area round Heart of the City area done up and plenty of building work going on for new exciting things (Leahs Yard good example). 

On 05/10/2021 at 11:04, crookesey said:

A Hillsborough Disaster.

Perhaps I should have quantified before the usual suspects stepped in, this was always going to happen, a semi final at Hillsborough was as good a place as any. However when the dust settled and the world of football eventually accepted that it was the system and not the supporters that was at fault, huge changes started to happen. No more fencing in, no more standing, no more looking at the game of football as  being more important than the folk watching it, countless lives have been saved following the terrible loss of life at Hillsborough, the guy who’s life was recently saved following the game being stopped because of  his heart attack would never have happened prior to Hillsborough.

I wouldn’t wish to tell the family and friends of the Hillsborough dead that their lives weren’t taken without some good coming out of the tragedy, but the truth is that there will never be another Hillsborough Disaster.

1 hour ago, crookesey said:

Perhaps I should have quantified before the usual suspects stepped in, this was always going to happen, a semi final at Hillsborough was as good a place as any. However when the dust settled and the world of football eventually accepted that it was the system and not the supporters that was at fault, huge changes started to happen. No more fencing in, no more standing, no more looking at the game of football as  being more important than the folk watching it, countless lives have been saved following the terrible loss of life at Hillsborough, the guy who’s life was recently saved following the game being stopped because of  his heart attack would never have happened prior to Hillsborough.

I wouldn’t wish to tell the family and friends of the Hillsborough dead that their lives weren’t taken without some good coming out of the tragedy, but the truth is that there will never be another Hillsborough Disaster.

Perhaps you shouldn't have mentioned it at all ...

Perhaps I shouldn’t have said or done many things, anyway you obviously disagree with me, which doesn’t surprise me.

Edited by crookesey

3 hours ago, Sheridan1-0 said:

Perhaps you shouldn't have mentioned it at all ...

Correct.