Area Recommendations, Detached, 280-360k

Hi, everyone! I've spent a little time reading on here and on reddit and it seems everyone loves places like Crookes, Totley and Greystones. But are the others I should look at?

I'm wanting a detached house, not a new build (as detached there is still living on top of others and the quality is often dire), with garage and drive and a small garden (nothing too heavy for maintenance, but enough for me and the dog to sit out in and enjoy). I'm 35 and there's just me and the dog, so I don't need a mansion, I just want a bit more room than I have in my current semi in Doncaster. I don't mind taking on something that needs decorating/a degree of limited modernisation, but I'm not adept enough to do anything too enormous on that front. 

Wanting to potentially move to Sheffield as I need to kickstart my social/love life a bit (not getting any younger!), but also to be closer to decent walks with the dog and also just generally have more to do than in Doncaster. I don't want to live in student party central as those days are behind me, but I also don't want to be the only person under 45 on the road either. 

Are there any areas I really need to consider? Anything to be wary of? Any advice on getting the most out of the more social aspects of the city whilst also keeping that space/closeness to the countryside? Open to any and all advice. I've always lived in the north - Lincolnshire and Yorkshire - so it's not alien to me, but never spent a huge amount of time in Sheffield and so need to know what areas are best for my situation and if I'm missing anything.

Appreciative of any help, cheers. 

Google Earth Woodfield Road, Crookes

In the distance are Stannington, Loxley and Wisewood.

As you have got to start somewhere, of those three places I would look at  Crookes(and the nearby bits of Crosspool and Walkley.

There is an ever increasing number and diversity of pubs, bars, restaurants, food and other shops. Very frequent buses.

The houses are more affordable. 

It is a misconception that it is overpopulated with students who a) are moving  away and b) live to the city side of the main road through Crookes, which is called Crookes.

Open spaces, woods and streams for the dog.

City centre is much more accessible.

Totley and Greystones are 'older'.

16 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Google Earth Woodfield Road, Crookes

In the distance are Stannington, Loxley and Wisewood.

As you have got to start somewhere, of those three places I would look at  Crookes(and the nearby bits of Crosspool and Walkley.

There is an ever increasing number and diversity of pubs, bars, restaurants, food and other shops. Very frequent buses.

The houses are more affordable. 

It is a misconception that it is overpopulated with students who a) are moving  away and b) live to the city side of the main road through Crookes, which is called Crookes.

Open spaces, woods and streams for the dog.

City centre is much more accessible.

Totley and Greystones are 'older'.

Also the chances of buying a detached house in Greystones for the OP's budget....nil.

Not sure I would class Greystones as older. Plenty of good pubs, bars, cafes, restaurants etc within a 10-15 minute walk, more than Crookes and Walkley I would suggest. Lots of young families attracted by the very popular primary school.

Recommendations for areas within budget appreciated. 

Norton and Greenhill areas are very nice. Fall within your price range too. Norton has Graves Park on its doorstep and a short car ride to the Peak District, Hope Valley , handy for you to walk the dog, also near to the ring road. It’s also a safe area but check all houses areas that you look at on the police crimes on here. https://www.police.uk/pu/your-area/south-yorkshire-police/sheffield-south-west/?tab=CrimeMap

Unless being detached is essential (e.g. for noise separation) then I would go for semis too. Otherwise there will be far less choice in whatever areas you look at and some areas won't appear in your search at all.  Unless you stay indoors 24 hours a day the area is the most important thing.