Peoples Energy

49 minutes ago, BigAl1 said:

They don’t have to offer incentives when they can simply make new contracts conditional on having one. When things revert to normal and variable rates are higher than fixed contracts then you will either pay more or change and get a smart meter

I think many are worried about how the companies will be able to use these meters like being able to vary the price by peak and off peak rather than not trusting the companies. 

As the best deals appear to be those of the ‘fixed’ variety, how could they vary these?

1 hour ago, crookesey said:

As the best deals appear to be those of the ‘fixed’ variety, how could they vary these?

Wait and see but you will see new tariffs and you may get something like fixed peak rate, fixed shoulder rate and fixed off peak rate package that will allow them to vary the price charged by time of day within the contract. Each new tariff will be tiered.

7 minutes ago, BigAl1 said:

Wait and see but you will see new tariffs and you may get something like fixed peak rate, fixed shoulder rate and fixed off peak rate package that will allow them to vary the price charged by time of day within the contract. Each new tariff will be tiered.

I don’t share your paranoid view on the energy companies, I save that for the inhabitants of The Palace of Westminster. You’re forecasting what will be the case, whilst I’m optimistic that common sense will prevail, albeit with less but more professional suppliers. I’m sticking with Shell as they are energy professionals, I don’t go for long term commercial deals, it’s a fact that they cash in on consumer fear, however if the NHS are offering longevity deals, they knows where to find me.

1 hour ago, BigAl1 said:

Each person will choose a contract to suit themselves, the tariff where night time energy is cheaper(for those with storage heaters) is already available.

Some businesses get cheaper energy off-peak and pay more at peak, no problem.

19 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Each person will choose a contract to suit themselves, the tariff where night time energy is cheaper(for those with storage heaters) is already available.

Some businesses get cheaper energy off-peak and pay more at peak, no problem.

My view is we will see far more of this. If the government succeeds in get us to have electric cars , gets rid of coal and gas power then they either they will need to build far more electricity generating capacity or they will have to ration it out by shifting usage to off peak.

smart meters facilitate this.

18 minutes ago, BigAl1 said:

My view is we will see far more of this. If the government succeeds in get us to have electric cars , gets rid of coal and gas power then they either they will need to build far more electricity generating capacity or they will have to ration it out by shifting usage to off peak.

smart meters facilitate this.

If they work.

4 hours ago, RollingJ said:

If they work.

It is the in home displays that don’t. I have not heard of systemic problems with the main units just odd examples such as the one mentioned earlier 

8 hours ago, BigAl1 said:

It is the in home displays that don’t. I have not heard of systemic problems with the main units just odd examples such as the one mentioned earlier 

In mine (and my three neighbours) they just don't - no reception at all in the deep cellars.

13 hours ago, RollingJ said:

If they work.

The only problem that I’ve had is with the daily usage graph, Shell Energy now tell me that this is a common occurrence when the signal is low. 

2 minutes ago, crookesey said:

The only problem that I’ve had is with the daily usage graph, Shell Energy now tell me that this is a common occurrence when the signal is low. 

See my post above yours - sometimes they just don't work at all

11 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Neither does my cell phone in certain areas, however I try not to let it get me down,

Guest sibon
9 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

12 minutes ago, crookesey said:

My smart meter, installed by Shell Energy, doesn’t work. 

The user panel doesn’t work and the meter doesn’t send readings to Shell.

The reason is the deep cellar. When I agreed to have it fitted, they promised that it would work in a cellar. Turns out they were wrong.

I have, finally managed to convince them to stop emailing me for readings. I’m sure they’ll send someone round  to read it eventually. 

Until then, it’s estimated bills .