Peoples Energy

17 minutes ago, saywhatnow said:

My supplier has put my gas DD up £5 a month and £10 for electricity, that's the biggest hike up in price I've ever seen. Comparing it online looks like I may be able to save a fiver a month by moving, but the increase is ridiculous.

Don't know about anyone else but I didn't receive an inflation uplift in my salary for this financial year and I doubt I will for 2022/23 either. Pensioners have done alright even though the triple lock has been broken IMO.

You really need to be looking at the unit price/standing charge to see what its gone up by the direct debit amount is merely a contribution to the bill and may not reflect the increase properly.

17 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

You really need to be looking at the unit price/standing charge to see what its gone up by the direct debit amount is merely a contribution to the bill and may not reflect the increase properly.

Why bother, it’s gone bust, live another day.

34 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

True. What I know is that both accounts are currently in credit (not unusual at the end of summer) but based on my usage over the last 12 months they predict I need to pay £15 a month more in total. When they put my bills up in April that already accounted for the extra time that I now spend at home (still working from home full time), so I've taken this increase to be reflective of the price hike. 

I don't think the prices go up until 1st Oct but should be able to find the new rates from 1st Oct on their website and compare to my current bills. 

26 minutes ago, crookesey said:

Why bother, it’s gone bust, live another day.

Who said he was with Peoples Energy? 🤔

19 hours ago, saywhatnow said:

My supplier has put my gas DD up £5 a month and £10 for electricity, that's the biggest hike up in price I've ever seen. Comparing it online looks like I may be able to save a fiver a month by moving, but the increase is ridiculous.

Don't know about anyone else but I didn't receive an inflation uplift in my salary for this financial year and I doubt I will for 2022/23 either. Pensioners have done alright even though the triple lock has been broken IMO.

Are you on a fixed price contract then if so the increase will be based on your usage so not ridiculous and will take into account higher winter usage? 

If you are on a variable price contract then you only have yourself to blame as you could have fixed and paid at the same rate per unit until your contract ended

If you are moving supplier make sure you provide an accurate reading of your annual usage in units for both gas and electricity (easily obtainable from supplier) as otherwise any saving may be illusory

Oh BTW to rub salt into your wounds my supplier has just halved my DD because I have build up a credit in the summer although I suspect that it will go back up at the next review in 3 months

2 hours ago, BigAl1 said:

Are you on a fixed price contract then if so the increase will be based on your usage so not ridiculous and will take into account higher winter usage? 

If you are on a variable price contract then you only have yourself to blame as you could have fixed and paid at the same rate per unit until your contract ended

If you are moving supplier make sure you provide an accurate reading of your annual usage in units for both gas and electricity (easily obtainable from supplier) as otherwise any saving may be illusory

Oh BTW to rub salt into your wounds my supplier has just halved my DD because I have build up a credit in the summer although I suspect that it will go back up at the next review in 3 months

It is variable but I'm not under a fixed term contract. The £65 a month I was paying had been competitive, which is why I'd stayed on that tariff. When I run comparisons based on my actual usage for the last 12 months it looks like I can switch and pay around £75 per month. My new payments with current provider are based on my last 12 months usage. So yes, I take the increase to be due to the increase in the price. £15 / 23% increase a month just seems to be a very large increase for no additional usage.

I accept that if for example I took a 2 year fixed deal out 12 months ago I would not be seeing an increase in October. But it would still come 12 months later when the deal ended and I could only take a suppliers current deal at that time.

And I will now be switching supplier to save that £5 a month and will most likely take a fixed rate deal

Edited by saywhatnow
Add last sentence

With a variable contract then you have nothing to moan about. A lot of people with fixed term contacts ending now and in the near future are likely to get a nasty shock when they look around for new contract 

yes I agree there is an element of swings and roundabouts when you take out the fixed contract but if you had taken out a 2 year deal a year ago then quite likely by the time you needed to shop around prices may well be lower than they are now. In the short term prices may increase further but I would expect that they may start to fall sometime next year in the spring or summer.

to really play the game look for a supplier who will offer a fix but allow you to switch with no penalty allowing you to switch to a lower tariff but avoiding price hikes.

Ah right, I certainly hadn't anticipated that they may drop in the future. 

I was aware that on variable rate that my prices could increase and would when the suppliers costs increase, the amount / percentage increase in one go just surprised me, but I appreciate my posts were moaning about it. 

4 minutes ago, saywhatnow said:

Ah right, I certainly hadn't anticipated that they may drop in the future. 

I was aware that on variable rate that my prices could increase and would when the suppliers costs increase, the amount / percentage increase in one go just surprised me, but I appreciate my posts were moaning about it. 

I think a lot of people have been caught out. When I took out a new 18 month contract in February loads of people told me to wait until the summer when prices would come down ( because they always do). I can’t say I thought they would rise like this but simply took out the contract as was happy with the deal and felt prices would more likely rise than fall over the period of the contract and the next contract would be due in the summer.

For what it is worth my view on the near future is more prices increases in April on the variable tariffs, hard to find cheap long term fixes for the next few months and a number of the small energy companies going bust especially those offering good deals as they won’t be able to cover the losses 

Guest makapaka

Something not right at the moment in this country.

worrying noises about food, energy etc 

1 hour ago, makapaka said:

Something not right at the moment in this country.

worrying noises about food, energy etc 

Climate change is on many peoples minds, higher energy prices are a great way to make people use less.