Counselling For Pre-Teen With Low Self-Esteem, Any Recommendations

Hi,

My daughter is 11 and she has quite low self-esteem. She finds academic work difficult and struggles to makes friends, which upsets her. At home, she can be quite aggressive with us and it really is starting to impact our family life. I think some sort of counselling might help but I'm not sure sure where to find the right professional for her. Do you have any recommendations? Thanks.

Guest sibon
22 minutes ago, PurplePerm said:

Hi,

My daughter is 11 and she has quite low self-esteem. She finds academic work difficult and struggles to makes friends, which upsets her. At home, she can be quite aggressive with us and it really is starting to impact our family life. I think some sort of counselling might help but I'm not sure sure where to find the right professional for her. Do you have any recommendations? Thanks.

Hi PurplePerm

You could give these guys a call, they did a good job with my daughter a few years ago.

http://cornerstone-sheffield.co.uk/our-therapists/

I hope you sort things out quickly. All the best.

7 hours ago, PurplePerm said:

Hi,

My contacts are now too dated to be of use.

The Children's Hospital at Ryegate is a contact  point for many local parent groups, self-help groups, charities and organisations. Some of the help they provide does not need referral from a GP,

Your GP. -usually useless

Sheffield Councils Children's services.

School -reading lists, topics etc

We got close to real problems because we were continually talking about it and involved too many people and places, tests and observations.

At all costs ignore relatives and friends unless it includes a current address/phone/web.

Things which helped:

providing a personal, private and undisturbed space, good earphones, books, small scale simple crafts etc. 

switch the TV off in the house until after meal time

make involvement in some meal planning and preparation and eating times a routine.

don't ask questions about school unless you know there is a neutral or positive answer.

Academically many children struggle at school and go to college at 16 with no qualifications or clue of what to.

They often find  it easier to focus and with a good mentor(not tutor) find a way.

If it takes seven years- it takes seven years

Quote PurplePerm: 

She finds academic work difficult.....

Have you spoken to her teacher about this? Has your daughter been referred for a special needs assessment?  As she is struggling with her schoolwork it is possible  that this is the reason why she is not making friends - they are perhaps ahead of her and don't have much in common. It can be demoralizing for a child when they cannot keep up with their peer group.

If you haven't already done so, you might want to consider asking for a special educational needs assessment. Some government information here: Children with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND). 

Children often thrive when placed in a more appropriate educational facility.

Contact the school safeguarding team. They should have a list of people. I know they work with MAST (multi agency support team) so I would talk to them first. Best wishes and good luck.

Thank you for your answers. She's been referred for an assessment, we suspect she might have inattentive ADHD (formerly called ADD).  And yes, we were in touch with her teacher about this. She's just moved into secondary school and to be honest, the transition is going much better than we thought. But her issues are still there. 

The idea of getting her some sort of counselling or therapy is so she can learn to manage her emotions before she gets her assessment done. Thanks.