Steam Special 24.09.21

A steam locomotive from the West Coast Railway pool heads through the region the Sunday 6th March.
The Peaks Express From Preston via the Hope Valley route to Sheffield (brief stop) to Chesterfield and around the East Midlands.

Dore - 14:59
Sheffield - 15:05
Nunnery - 15:15
Darnall - 15:20
Woodhouse - 15:24
Beighton - 15:26
Barrow Hill - 15:33 (Water stop)
Chesterfield - 16:12

1Z53 Preston - Derby

Return
Chesterfield - 18:36
Dore South Jcn - 18:50
(The return takes the Hope Valley route via the Dore West Curve and not through Sheffield. 

1Z54 Derby - Preston

Hi Daryl,

Thanks for that. I'm going to Dore and Totley Station this afternoon and the footbridge near Tesco Metro in the evening.

Cheers,

Wazzie Worrall

Jubilee ' Galatea ' looked well coming through Dore Station this afternoon

I just wish they would make their minds up on what it is. 45627 on the smokebox and nameplates for "Sierra Loene", 45562 on the cab sides (Alberta) and it is really 46599 (Galatea).

Another charter through Totley Tunnel next Saturday, but not steam, a couple of class 37's

Nigel L

Hi Lemmy and Everybody Esle.

I've never understand why charter companies change the name of locomotives. The Jubilee which came through on Sunday was actually Galatea but it was changed to be called Sierra Loene.

About x3yr ago the A4 Bittern was changed to Dominion of New Zealand???

Wazzie Worrall.

2 hours ago, Paul Worrall said:

Hi Lemmy and Everybody Esle.

I've never understand why charter companies change the name of locomotives. The Jubilee which came through on Sunday was actually Galatea but it was changed to be called Sierra Loene.

About x3yr ago the A4 Bittern was changed to Dominion of New Zealand???

Wazzie Worrall.

Advertising, promotion, film work, owners choice, commemorating a historical event, fashion etc. It has always  happened. Explanations:

Galatea

Bittern (includes a photo  in Sheffield and one on the Sheffield designed and built Forth Bridge.)

Agreed, but usually everything is changed to one match one particular loco, no all three at the same time!

The White Rose - Wednesday 6 April.

According to Railway Herald, a Steam Special is running from Bridgenorth to York on Wednesday 6.4.22.

However, there is some confusion over the route.  Railway Herald says that the train will be running through Dore &  Totley to Sheffield and onto York. However, Realtime Trains says that the train will leave the mainline at Chesterfield and go up the 'back line' to York via Barrowhill.

Is the train actually coming through Dore & Totley Station?

In addition, 'The Hadrian Hoovers' which was due to run through Chesterfield and Sheffield on Saturday 2.4.22 has been postponed until Saturday 23.7.22.

Wazzie Worrall

The tour operator still shows it as running through Sheffield, but I would suspect a revised route has been agreed, as looking at Realtime there is a booked half hour stop at Barrow Hill, which usually indicates a stop to take on water.

Nigel L

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for the message. I'm not convinced that the train will come through Dore &Totley and then Sheffield. If it takes on Water at Barrow Hill it will take the 'back line' to Rotherham.

Cheers,

Wazzie Worrall.

Saturday 9th April Chesterfield -Barrow Hill - Swinton.

7029 Clun Castle (diesel return).

Chesterfield 0958

Barrow Hill 1004

Beighton Jn 1010½

Masborough Jn  1024½ to 1036½

Swinton 1044½