Steam Special 24.09.21

When I was a Trainspotter in the 1950s Dore South Loop was known as Totley Cutting where we used to hope to see Beyer Garrets or ex LNWR 0-8-0s.

From the company website;

"We travel through the East Midlands  towards Sheffield and at Dore Junction we turn onto the beautiful Hope Valley for a journey through the stunningly beautiful Peak District National Park offering amazing views of Mam Tor and the surrounding moors, at Chinley we join the freight only line through Peak Forest as our engine works hard up the steep gradients to Buxton for an afternoon break of around three hours. The return journey takes a different route as we traverse the line through Dove Holes and Whaley Bridge to Stockport where we pass around the suburbs of Manchester before joining the Hope Valley line and retracing the outward journey through the Peak District."

If anyone finds the timings, particularly for the Buxton end, please post them up.

Out:

Chesterfield pass 1125

Dore South* Jn 1135

Dore West* Jn 1138

Grindleford pass 1145

Bamford pass 1149

Edale pass 1157

Return**:Edale pass 1818

Bamford pass 1829

Grindleford  pass 1835

Dore West* Jn pass  1840

Dore South* Jn pass 1845

Chesterfield pass 1859

*Not Dore station.

**On the return leg it passes through Chinley and New Mills Central twice.

Just been down to Totley Brook for 11-40 am pass. Royal Scot still at Derby, came home.

Guy there tells me it's not coming back this way tonight.

Anyone confirm please.

2 hours ago, Runningman said:

Just been down to Totley Brook for 11-40 am pass. Royal Scot still at Derby, came home.

Guy there tells me it's not coming back this way tonight.

Anyone confirm please.

It passed just before 12:20 in the end.

Despite getting wet and the outward journey being half an hour late, it was wonderful to see 46100 - Royal Scot!

The next Steam Special I've got listed is the Tin Bath which is due through Dore and Totley on 24 October.

Has anybody got information about any other specials please?

Wazzie Worrall

If it's of interest to anyone, I braved the Buxton weather and nipped up the hill to Totley Pike layby to catch a view as the train left Great Rocks Dale.
I failed to catch  it on any of the visits to Buxton station, but did manage some photos at Buxton sidings.
There are pics on My Flickr Account (work backwards from this link), or on a Facebook album

2 hours ago, peak4 said:

If it's of interest to anyone, I braved the Buxton weather and nipped up the hill to Totley Pike layby to catch a view as the train left Great Rocks Dale.
I failed to catch  it on any of the visits to Buxton station, but did manage some photos at Buxton sidings.
There are pics on My Flickr Account (work backwards from this link), or on a Facebook album

Many thanks peak4, all great photos !

The Yorkshireman Saturday 16th October 2021 via Chesterfield Rotherham Swinton

The Peaks Express Sunday 24th October 2021 Hope Valley Sheffield Beighton Chesterfield return via Dore south curve

The York Yuletide Express Saturday 27th November 2021  via Chesterfield Beighton Rotherham Swinton

The York Yuletide Express Sat 04 Dec Hope Valley, Sheffield,  Swinton

Chatsworth Christmas Sparkle Express WED 8 DECEMBER 2021 Chesterfield only

The Christmas White Rose express WED 15 DECEMBER 2021 Hope Valley  Sheffield Meadowhall Swinton

The Buxton Spa Express Saturday 4th June 2022 out via Dore south curve return via Sheffield (Tornado)