Steam Special 24.09.21

Hi Everybody.

There is a Steam Special (Buxton Spa Express - Saphos Trains) from Chesterfield to Dore Tunnel/the Loop then onto Hope Valley Line to Grindleford on 29.09.2021.

According to the Website the train leaves Burton on Trent at 09:30 and according to my calculations it should arrive at Dore Tunnel/the Loop about one hour later.

Is this correct - what time will the train actually arrive at Dore Tunnel/Loop  on the on the Outward/Return journeys?

Wazzie Worrall.

Might help if you decide if you mean 24th or 29th September

My guess is that it'll take roughly the same amount of time whether 24th or 29th!

I think that is a perfectly reasonable guess. 

I was quite fancying it, joining at Sheffield...until I found out it was the same cost irrespective of where you join!

5 minutes ago, FoxLady said:

I was quite fancying it, joining at Sheffield...until I found out it  was the same cost irrespective of where you join!

It does not stop in Sheffield and all the tickets are gone.

The date is Wednesday 29th September.

The actual running times have not yet been published and it could get to Grindleford a lot earlier/later

The tour train will following (non stop but slower) XC from Plymouth which passes Dore at 10 12*.

*There is no good view of this train from Dore station.

19 hours ago, FoxLady said:

My guess is that it'll take roughly the same amount of time whether 24th or 29th!

Indeed but a much longer wait to see it if you go on 24th

Hi,

Annie's posting was most useful - thanks.

I didn't know anything was happening o 24/9?

29/9/21. The train doesn't go into Dore &Totley or Sheffield Stations. From Chesterfield it takes the loop via Dore Tunnel onto the Hope Valley Line to Grindleford.

There are x2 suitable viewing points in Totley.

The road bridge which runs up to the flats opposite the 'little' Metro Tesco.

The other place is the footbridge to the left up Totley Brook Road.

I still have no idea about return times?

Cheers, Wazzie

34 minutes ago, Paul Worrall said:

I didn't know anything was happening o 24/9?

There isn't, but that's the title of your thread!

What is the Loop .? I used to work for British Rail In Hope Valley , from Dore and Totley Tunnel to Cowburn Tunnel 

16 hours ago, FoxLady said:

There isn't, but that's the title of your thread!

Thank you Fox Lady clearly my sense of humour is too subtle for some

15 hours ago, hackey lad said:

What is the Loop .? I used to work for British Rail In Hope Valley , from Dore and Totley Tunnel to Cowburn Tunnel 

I assume what they mean is the south curve which a northbound train heading to the hope valley would take and this means as said it does not go through Dore station hence the comments from Annie and paul - forget the terminology

50 minutes ago, BigAl1 said:

Thank you Fox Lady clearly my sense of humour is too subtle for some

I assume what they mean is the south curve which a northbound train heading to the hope valley would take and this means as said it does not go through Dore station hence the comments from Annie and paul - forget the terminology

Before we get confused and as yet without the times being released we can only guess the route and times.

The train does not have to stop anywhere after leaving Burton with Buxton the next scheduled stop.

After passing Chesterfield it could go through Dronfield, Bradway Tunnel, Dore South curve and then head west through Totley Tunnel and into the Hope Valley. This would be the fastest route. 

There are operational reasons that it would follow another route which would see it turn off the mainline north of Chesterfield, through Barrow Hill, then non-stop Beighton ,Woodhouse, Sheffield station, Dore and Totley station then Totley Tunnel etc. This route enable water to be taken on and be kept out of the other trains.

We will have to wait.