The Sheffield Tv Channel

I don't think I can recall a single time I've been  flicking through channels and found this one to be showing anything other than photographs with music. A channel showing live paint drying would be a better use of broadcast spectrum.

On 15/09/2021 at 13:34, ECCOnoob said:

Because it's supposed to be about giving a platform for the minority voices who are generally overlooked. It is supposed to be a community station run and fronted by members of the community. It is not about making money or becoming some superstar status.

You are right, people can chase the money and fame offered by platforms such as YouTube but don't think for a second they won't face the same if not even more strict levels of control,  rejection and overrule.  Don't think for a minute that out of the thousands of thousands of YouTubers uploading everyday they are all making comfortable living out of it. In fact for many it's net deficit. It's even worse as there is so little human control and more by the might of the algorithm. If they are not producing the type of populist content that the algorithm mysteriously and totally randomly computes is attractive to advertisers you watch how much quicker they will fade into obscurity.

Yes of course Sheff TV has to have some form of pitching and control and audition but that is because they are bound by the broadcast regulations just like any other network. However let's think beyond just money. Like many voluntary projects it is about someone's passion, someone's interest or just reaching out to a slightly wider audience. Not everyone has the internet, as people keep saying on this forum, and this offers a smaller more bespoke platform those people but still with a potentially wide audience capture.  It can offer real local news which is not coming from some journalist phoning it in from the other side of Leeds (or in some cases on Commercial local radio literally google searching for the town location and picking the top 2 stories while sitting in some  centralised news centre in London).  It can also offer a great opportunity for anyone with an interest in film or Media to hone some of their skills in a real live studio setting.

I emphasize again, it is supposed to be about a community service.  It never is or was intended to be some genuine rival to ITV or Netflix.

Regardless, the simple point is that instead of people sitting there whinging and moaning about the channel content, they can get off their backsides and go produce something themselves if they think it's so easy. That is the whole point about open access.

Blummin' ek' we agree again ECCOnoob. What's going on?

23 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Blummin' ek' we agree again ECCOnoob. What's going on?

Hmmm... :huh:

That'll be good news for our local TV channel then...

... the audience figures should have increased by 100%! :hihi:

Not that it's about popularity...

... I'm told it's about giving a few amateur exhibitionists the opportunity to show off their limited talents to the rest of us. :roll:

2 hours ago, Mr Bloke said:

That'll be good news for our local TV channel then...

... the audience figures should have increased by 100%! :hihi:

Not that it's about popularity...

... I'm told it's about giving a few amateur exhibitionists the opportunity to show off their limited talents to the rest of us. :roll:

They might also receive some basic training in the technical aspects of TV/media to put on their CV.

I used to be one of the presenters on a Local Radio Station and received a very good basic training in editing, interviewing and technical desk work etc. also a qualification. I did it for fun, but all very useful in the jobs market. 

Don't know if they still do this. 

Edited by Anna B

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

They might also receive some basic training in the technical aspects of TV/media to put on their CV.

I used to be one of the presenters on a Local Radio Station and received a very good basic training in editing, interviewing and technical desk work etc. also a qualification. I did it for fun, but all very useful in the jobs market. 

Don't know if they still do this. 

... I wouldn't think so.

From what I've seen, working in TV/Media these days requires no training whatsoever! ;)

28 minutes ago, Mr Bloke said:

... I wouldn't think so.

From what I've seen, working in TV/Media these days requires no training whatsoever! ;)

Watching a show on Channel 5 last week.  Their title said "Mount Snowden" and not "Snowdon"

I heard about it a few years ago so I de-directed my aerial  so I could receive it. 

No need to now and wish I hadn't spent time in doing so.

I have tried to contact them several times but given up now.