The Sheffield Tv Channel

49 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Can you get it on Sky  ? , if so will have a look tomorrow . Thank you 

No, you cant. Also doesnt seem to be able to be manually tuned either.

Dont worry, you arent missing much.

Edited by HeHasRisen

18 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

No, you cant. Also doesnt seem to be able to be manually tuned either.

Dont worry, you arent missing much.

Ok , thanks anyway  . Is  it really that bad ?

From the bits I saw, yes. Thankfully I dont have Freeview anymore so I dont have to subject myself to it 

Its a not-for-profit community station 

Go ahead and submit a pitch for your own show if you feel its not delivering what people want and could do better.

That is partly what it's all supposed to be about.  Open access for the local community.

https://web.sheffieldlive.org/get-involved/

Edited by ECCOnoob

8 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Its a not-for-profit community station 

Go ahead and submit a pitch for your own show if you feel its not delivering what people want and could do better.

That is partly what it's all supposed to be about.  Open access for the local community.

https://web.sheffieldlive.org/get-involved/

Hmmm... :huh:

If it's not-for-profit then presumably you wouldn't get paid for your efforts?

So why would anyone with any decent idea want to 'pitch their own show' to a 'local TV station' where they could be rejected by obviously less-talented individuals (otherwise wouldn't they have come up with the idea themselves?) and their idea possibly 're-worked' but featuring more 'acceptable' presenters?

Anyone with any sense would go straight to somewhere like YouTube where they would have full control of their own show, a much bigger potential audience and would obviously be reimbursed for their work... :nod:

3 hours ago, Mr Bloke said:

If it's not-for-profit then presumably you wouldn't get paid for your efforts?

So why would anyone with any decent idea want to 'pitch their own show' to a 'local TV station' where they could be rejected by obviously less-talented individuals (otherwise wouldn't they have come up with the idea themselves?) and their idea possibly 're-worked' but featuring more 'acceptable' presenters?

Anyone with any sense would go straight to somewhere like YouTube where they would have full control of their own show, a much bigger potential audience and would obviously be reimbursed for their work... :nod:

Because it's supposed to be about giving a platform for the minority voices who are generally overlooked. It is supposed to be a community station run and fronted by members of the community. It is not about making money or becoming some superstar status.

You are right, people can chase the money and fame offered by platforms such as YouTube but don't think for a second they won't face the same if not even more strict levels of control,  rejection and overrule.  Don't think for a minute that out of the thousands of thousands of YouTubers uploading everyday they are all making comfortable living out of it. In fact for many it's net deficit. It's even worse as there is so little human control and more by the might of the algorithm. If they are not producing the type of populist content that the algorithm mysteriously and totally randomly computes is attractive to advertisers you watch how much quicker they will fade into obscurity.

Yes of course Sheff TV has to have some form of pitching and control and audition but that is because they are bound by the broadcast regulations just like any other network. However let's think beyond just money. Like many voluntary projects it is about someone's passion, someone's interest or just reaching out to a slightly wider audience. Not everyone has the internet, as people keep saying on this forum, and this offers a smaller more bespoke platform those people but still with a potentially wide audience capture.  It can offer real local news which is not coming from some journalist phoning it in from the other side of Leeds (or in some cases on Commercial local radio literally google searching for the town location and picking the top 2 stories while sitting in some  centralised news centre in London).  It can also offer a great opportunity for anyone with an interest in film or Media to hone some of their skills in a real live studio setting.

I emphasize again, it is supposed to be about a community service.  It never is or was intended to be some genuine rival to ITV or Netflix.

Regardless, the simple point is that instead of people sitting there whinging and moaning about the channel content, they can get off their backsides and go produce something themselves if they think it's so easy. That is the whole point about open access.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Wow - it's almost like you've copied that straight from the PR manual! :hihi:

I was in the middle of writing a detailed reply to your post but I just can't be bothered...

... people can make their own minds up! :|

1 hour ago, Mr Bloke said:

Wow - it's almost like you've copied that straight from the PR manual! :hihi:

I was in the middle of writing a detailed reply to your post but I just can't be bothered...

... people can make their own minds up! :|

Not at all. But as someone who has been involved in community projects in the past and still does committee stuff for charities I often get very frustrated when people start doing a load of armchair criticisms, and having a go at something groups have worked hard to establish, without fully understanding its purpose and aims.

Like I keep saying, if people feel its poor quality and they could do better, the opportunities are there. Get on with it.  Assuming since you cannot "be bothered" to reply my to my post you will not be one of those.

I'm sure people will make up their own minds. I just like them to have the full context and understanding before they do.

Edited by ECCOnoob

The whole local TV project should never have happened, this isn't America where historically the country has been split up into 100 "markets" covering millions of people and hundreds of miles, with evening primetime link ups, it was never going to work and the whole process has been a failure.

Who wants to watch a bloke at a turntable playing music.

36 minutes ago, lazarus said:

I wonder if anyone would be interested in watching an enthusiastic amateur move a few pixels about on a PC screen while creating their latest animated masterpiece?

That could easily fill a few hours a day...

... and it's slightly more entertaining than watching paint dry! :hihi:

Edited by Mr Bloke

42 minutes ago, lazarus said:

Nobody, its bonkers.  Putting radio programmes on the telly is just lazy.

Be better off broadcasting nothing, or public service films.

Edited by HeHasRisen