How Much Has Sheffield Being A City Of Sanctuary Cost Sheffield Tax Payers

17 hours ago, hackey lad said:

We have currently got people in Sheffield in overcrowded housing who are being told to use their dining room as a bedroom . Where are these homes for refugees coming from ?

I'm sure nobody who supports the needs of refugees thinks that anyone else should be poorly housed.

Refugees, remember, are not allowed to work or claim benefits while their application is processed.   If they are classified as destitute, then they are given somewhere to live (but not in London or the south east - this is what is known as "dispersal" - there's no choice).     The government has contracts with local authorities and private landlords to provide this accommodation.   And there are charitable and volunteers who also offer accommodation.

It's misdirected anger to blame refugees for shortages of social housing - that's mainly down to government policy around "right to buy" and council housing.

50 minutes ago, cytine said:

When 'Brits' as you call them, move to other countries they do no expect to be given houses, benefits, free healthcare  and everything provided free. 

That's because by and large when a Brit or other 'westerner' is relocating to another country they are doing so by personal choice, with financial backing, pre-arranged jobs/housing etc. - that is the privilege of coming from relatively wealthy nation where security & bigotry doesn't force people to leave against their will.

Asylum seekers are fleeing their home countries not because they want to, but because they have to - bigotry, war, famine etc. is literally putting their lives in danger. In doing so they must leave behind every almost every official piece of financial/job security, possessions, assets etc. There is no ringing ahead for a few weeks to sort yourself out with a good job and a house.

If the tables were turned and for some reason you had to flee the UK against your will, and you landed on a beach in France, don't pretend you wouldn't expect help and goodwill.

58 minutes ago, cytine said:

When 'Brits' as you call them, move to other countries they do no expect to be given houses, benefits, free healthcare  and everything provided free.  Your comments about  jacket potatoes and the Mail show what you are.

How many British ex-pats are refugees fleeing persecution and violence, however?

Also, remember that asylum applicants are not "given" anywhere near what you think they are given - they are not allowed to work while their application is processed, and they are not eligible for benefits.    Applicants can get NHS treatment, but anyone refused may be billed.   Applicants cannot be allocated council housing, or get housing benefit.  Only if an asylum-seeker has no money and nowhere to live can they apply for accommodation, and that will be offered on a zero-choice basis anywhere in England. 

Once someone has been given refugee status, options like being to work and to apply for council housing then become available.

1 hour ago, Bargepole23 said:

Which customs of ours (white christian?) do wish "them" to adopt? Do you actually mean you want Muslims to not practice their customs in the UK?

Maybe converting to Christianity  as I would convert to Islam if I went to live there. All I ask is that they treat us with the same respect that we give them when we visit their country,  is that hoping for to much,ie a correspondent or reporter who is white wears head  covering when visiting their country .

5 minutes ago, spilldig said:

Maybe converting to Christianity  as I would convert to Islam if I went to live there. All I ask is that they treat us with the same respect that we give them when we visit their country,  is that hoping for to much,ie a correspondent or reporter who is white wears head  covering when visiting their country .

Seriously, you want them to convert to Christianity? What for? What difference would it make to you? Are you offended by Islamic religious practice?

What respect are you not offered by Muslims? Do you deserve their respect?

I've lived and worked in Muslim countries, never once has anyone suggested I convert to Islam. Why would you convert to Islam, and from what? Are you a believer in Christianity but happy to switch to a different belief system?

Edited by Bargepole23

10 minutes ago, spilldig said:

But we don't have a similar cultural expectation about what people wear.   And since 40% of the population is non-religious, it's a bit strange to say you'd expect any newcomers to convert to Christianity. 

1 hour ago, Bargepole23 said:

Seriously, you want them to convert to Christianity? What for? What difference would it make to you? Are you offended by Islamic religious practice?

What respect are you not offered by Muslims? Do you deserve their respect?

I've lived and worked in Muslim countries, never once has anyone suggested I convert to Islam. Why would you convert to Islam, and from what? Are you a believer in Christianity but happy to switch to a different belief system?

I respect them and I expect it in return. Why would I convert to Islam? I would if I went to live in an Islamic country. 

1 hour ago, Dannyno said:

But we don't have a similar cultural expectation about what people wear.   And since 40% of the population is non-religious, it's a bit strange to say you'd expect any newcomers to convert to Christianity. 

Don't we? I do.

15 minutes ago, spilldig said:

I respect them and I expect it in return. Why would I convert to Islam? I would if I went to live in an Islamic country. 

Don't we? I do.

I've got no idea why you would do that. What would happen that would make you suddenly start believing in the teachings of Islam, that you presumably don't believe now?

Why would you expect someone who moves to the UK to convert to Christianity? I'm a not a believer of any religion, should I leave the UK?

There are some bizarre ideas posted on SF, this is no exception.

Edited by Bargepole23