How Much Has Sheffield Being A City Of Sanctuary Cost Sheffield Tax Payers

Guest sibon
10 hours ago, Conshefsky said:

I was just wondering we all know Sheffield is way behind Leeds Manchester Birmingham and other big cities in the UK. So I'm just wondering how much money it has cost Sheffield being a city of sanctuary and how would Sheffield have progressed had that money been spent on services and local neglected areas in need of regeneration be it housing parks mental health services transport that matter to people who have lived here for generations and paid ther taxes hopping things would improve by the way I don't do punctuality because I know it winds the snowflake up 

£15 

Thanks for asking.

10 hours ago, Conshefsky said:

I was just wondering we all know Sheffield is way behind Leeds Manchester Birmingham and other big cities in the UK. So I'm just wondering how much money it has cost Sheffield being a city of sanctuary and how would Sheffield have progressed had that money been spent on services and local neglected areas in need of regeneration be it housing parks mental health services transport that matter to people who have lived here for generations and paid ther taxes hopping things would improve by the way I don't do punctuality because I know it winds the snowflake up 

I think you're probably overestimating how interested "snowflakes" are interested in your input if you think your lack of "punctuality" might wind them up. Unless you're a bus driver. Are you a bus driver? Or maybe you should have tried a bit harder at school, especially when learning about punctuation.

In other words Conshefsky none of these time wasters have got a clue.......

next

5 minutes ago, Grabber said:

next

The OP doesn't really want to know. They just want to imply it's costing the city lots of money so they have an opportunity to complain it's not being spent on something else. As the 3rd post in this thread pointed out, the OP could make an FoI request and find out if they were that interested.

Guest sibon
43 minutes ago, Grabber said:

next

I gave him the answer.

14 hours ago, Conshefsky said:

I was just wondering we all know Sheffield is way behind Leeds Manchester Birmingham and other big cities in the UK. 

Maybe because Sheffield's urban area population is far smaller - well under half - of the Leeds, Manchester and Birmingham conurbations?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_urban_areas_in_the_United_Kingdom

11 hours ago, Grabber said:

next

Or she could find out for herself, if she were that interested. But she's not.

You must know though, otherwise you yourself would be one of these timewasters.

Edited by Bargepole23

14 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

I think you're probably overestimating how interested "snowflakes" are interested in your input if you think your lack of "punctuality" might wind them up. Unless you're a bus driver. Are you a bus driver? Or maybe you should have tried a bit harder at school, especially when learning about punctuation.

Probably shouting into the dark here but the reason a bus driver is late is because they are not allowed enough time to do the job.

The question is a bit muddled.

"City of Sanctuary" is a designation associated with a charitable organisation committed to trying to provide a welcoming and supportive culture towards refugees - it describes itself as a grassroots movement. 

You can donate to them here:  https://cityofsanctuary.org/donate/

But being part of the "City of Sanctuary" movement has nothing to do with how many refugees end up in a particular place (and let's remember there's a difference between refugees fleeing persecution and immigrants in general or economic migrants who move primarily for work and how they are handled by the state).

The UK has a national asylum dispersal programme, introduced by the 1999 Asylum and Immigration Act.   The idea, apparently, was that it would prevent concentrations of refugees in any particular place - most refugees were settling in the south of England to make their asylum applications, for obvious reasons.

Overall statistics can be read here:  https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN01403/SN01403.pdf

And the local authority stats are here:  https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn01403/

That tells us that in March 2021, Sheffield was host to 828 people seeking asylum (i.e. being supported until a decision is made), which relative to population is comparable to Birmingham and way lower than Liverpool.

The point to make is that the asylum dispersal programme and the City of Sanctuary movement are not linked.    You don't get more because you've signed up to City of Sanctuary.

Now, in supporting the City of Sanctuary charity in Sheffield as a community organisation, the Council does give them grants to support their work with refugees.

Between 2017/2018 and 2019/2020, this was £45,000 a year, but there may be other small grants too if they apply for them - they also got £3000 for monthly cross cultural activities, mentioned on the council site.

You can see these figures reported here:https://democracy.sheffield.gov.uk/mgIssueHistoryHome.aspx?IId=22398&Opt=0

There's also this report which describes some of the great work City of Sanctuary do:  https://sheffield.cityofsanctuary.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2021/05/CS08-COS-AIR-2018-19-FINAL.pdf

23 hours ago, Anna B said:

I'm betting that the council will get an allowance from the government for each asylum seeker they take on. 

I don't know the details, but funding arrangements are set out here:  https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/995786/2020-2021_LA_Funding_Instruction_v1.0_-_Final.pdf

That seems to show that each adult refugee "costs" up to £8520 in the first year, and from the 2nd to 5th years this starts at £5000, tapering away to £1000 in the 5th year (this support ends after 5 years).   This is basically what councils can be reimbursed for (there's more to it than this, if you read the detail in the document, but this is the main element for adults).

On 12/09/2021 at 09:54, Anna B said:

I'm betting that the council will get an allowance from the government for each asylum seeker they take on. 

Why does it matter  if the council pay or if the government pay, either way the taxpayer payer pays unless you get your council tax paid and you don't pay any income tax?

Just saying.

Sheffield Council announced in the last couple of days that they is a about  £44 million  shortfall in the budget. So how can they take in these foreign scroungers? Where's the money coming from?

Edited by cytine