Sign in to follow this  

Pre Operation Assessment Via Phone

14 hours ago, West 77 said:

I should have mentioned the said relative has never previously been told he needed to have a chest xray when being examined face to face regarding his asthma problem many years ago.  Don't you think it's strange that at a time when Doctors surgeries are not doing many face to face consultations a doctor decided he needed a chest xray?  Have a little think about the situation and the penny might drop and you will realise the real reason why the lazy doctor booked my relative in for a chest xray at a hospital.

Doctor suspects something else? He's just filled his in box with more paperwork by asking for a chest x-ray that's not needed. If the surgery keeps doing that, the NHS trust will start asking questions I'd reckon.

17 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Doctor suspects something else? He's just filled his in box with more paperwork by asking for a chest x-ray that's not needed. If the surgery keeps doing that, the NHS trust will start asking questions I'd reckon.

The said Doctor is just covering his own back by inflicting more pressure on a hospital.  The truth is too many Doctors Surgeries haven't been pulling their weight long before the pandemic arrived. It was Tony Blair's Labour government who gave Doctors Surgeries the green light to see fewer patients, do less work and add more to the work load of hospitals especially A&E.

1 hour ago, West 77 said:

The said Doctor is just covering his own back by inflicting more pressure on a hospital.  The truth is too many Doctors Surgeries haven't been pulling their weight long before the pandemic arrived. It was Tony Blair's Labour government who gave Doctors Surgeries the green light to see fewer patients, do less work and add more to the work load of hospitals especially A&E.

And upped their pay considerably.

Yet we still have a shortage of doctors and keep pinching them from other countries who need them, to make up the shortfall. 

There are more applications from very well qualified young people wanting to get into medical schools than there are places.

Why on earth don't we increase the number of places available and train more doctors? 

The population is growing, the number of elderly people is also increasing. Not training more doctors is false economy. It costs far more to employ locums and pay for failure etc than having our own source of home grown doctors.  

On 11/09/2021 at 22:29, Runningman said:

I am due a pre op assessment next week prior to a hip replacement

It's not face to face but via a tele call

I can't get my head round this, no X Ray, no visual contact, no examination

Anyone had this experience ?

Morning folks

Just had my pre op assessment via a tele call

Didn't catch the guy's name, I don't think he was a consultant

He was obviously looking at my past health record and then asked me briefly about my current state of health and no more !

Looks like I could be going to either Claremont or Thornbury, when he couldn't say.

Tele calls discussing pre op are now the norm

They do not have the space and human resources to cope with the numbers waiting for operations

29 minutes ago, Anna B said:

And upped their pay considerably.

Yet we still have a shortage of doctors and keep pinching them from other countries who need them, to make up the shortfall. 

There are more applications from very well qualified young people wanting to get into medical schools than there are places.

Why on earth don't we increase the number of places available and train more doctors? 

The population is growing, the number of elderly people is also increasing. Not training more doctors is false economy. It costs far more to employ locums and pay for failure etc than having our own source of home grown doctors.  

Agree with your comments and sentiment. 

• The estimated number of consultations for a typical practice in England rose from 21,100 in 1995 to 34,200 in 2008.

• The estimated total number of consultations in England rose from 217.3 million (95% CI 197.7 to 237.0 million) in 1995 to 300.4 million (95% CI 290.9 to 309.8 million) in 2008.

Trends in Consultation Rates in General Practice - 1995-2009

The GP contract you refer to, which allowed family doctors to transfer responsibility for out of hours care to the local primary care trust, was introduced in 2004.

I'm afraid the facts contradict your erroneous claim that "It was Tony Blair's Labour government who gave Doctors Surgeries the green light to see fewer patients, do less work and add more to the work load of hospitals especially A&E.". They saw more patients, a trend that has continued year on year despite falling GP numbers.