I can't get my head round this, no X Ray, no visual contact, no examination

Anyone had this experience ?

17 minutes ago, Runningman said:

I am due a pre op assessment next week prior to a hip replacement

It's not face to face but via a tele call

Yes but not for a hip.

Previously they had you in the hospital all day going through historical, personal and medical questionnaires, loads of tests and a consultation with pre and post op care staff and surgeon. 

A pre op phone assessment greatly reduces the time you are in a hospital for. Covid and other infections.

My scans and bloods testing was done at my request at the nearby RHH and the surgery was at NGH. 

Assessments had been online and on the phone for months.

X Rays and visual examination will already have been done an it will be decided if further tests are needed.

A hip-op is major invasive surgery. The paperwork will contain contact details for your concerns. 

Remember to voice your concerns.

11 hours ago, Runningman said:

Is the assessment by the hospital or your GP ? I know that surgeons are at their wits end at the moment because of the waiting lists caused by the pandemic, but I have never heard of this. I would insist on an X-ray or scan.! 

Hi pattricia and Annie Bynnol and thanks.

Going to be an interesting phone call for me  !!

On 12/09/2021 at 09:38, pattricia said:

Is the assessment by the hospital or your GP ? I know that surgeons are at their wits end at the moment because of the waiting lists caused by the pandemic, but I have never heard of this. I would insist on an X-ray or scan.! 

Err, why? Its a pre-op assessment, surely they have already concluded he is having the operation?

Edited by HeHasRisen

14 hours ago, West 77 said:

I should have mentioned the said relative has never previously been told he needed to have a chest xray when being examined face to face regarding his asthma problem many years ago.  Don't you think it's strange that at a time when Doctors surgeries are not doing many face to face consultations a doctor decided he needed a chest xray?  Have a little think about the situation and the penny might drop and you will realise the real reason why the lazy doctor booked my relative in for a chest xray at a hospital.

Doctor suspects something else? He's just filled his in box with more paperwork by asking for a chest x-ray that's not needed. If the surgery keeps doing that, the NHS trust will start asking questions I'd reckon.

1 hour ago, West 77 said:

The said Doctor is just covering his own back by inflicting more pressure on a hospital.  The truth is too many Doctors Surgeries haven't been pulling their weight long before the pandemic arrived. It was Tony Blair's Labour government who gave Doctors Surgeries the green light to see fewer patients, do less work and add more to the work load of hospitals especially A&E.

And upped their pay considerably.

Yet we still have a shortage of doctors and keep pinching them from other countries who need them, to make up the shortfall. 

There are more applications from very well qualified young people wanting to get into medical schools than there are places.

Why on earth don't we increase the number of places available and train more doctors? 

The population is growing, the number of elderly people is also increasing. Not training more doctors is false economy. It costs far more to employ locums and pay for failure etc than having our own source of home grown doctors.  

On 11/09/2021 at 22:29, Runningman said:

Morning folks

Just had my pre op assessment via a tele call

Didn't catch the guy's name, I don't think he was a consultant

He was obviously looking at my past health record and then asked me briefly about my current state of health and no more !

Looks like I could be going to either Claremont or Thornbury, when he couldn't say.

Tele calls discussing pre op are now the norm

They do not have the space and human resources to cope with the numbers waiting for operations