A Question About Household Insurance.

I’m insured against theft from my property but someone has told me that if I do have a theft from my property, that I have to produce a receipt of what I paid for the article before the insurance company will pay me out. Is this true ? I don’t have receipts for everything I’ve bought so do I need this extra insurance ?

I’m guessing that you don’t have piles of jewellery containing gold and precious stones, however if I’m wrong get a replacement valuation and send copies to your insurer. Burglars usually steal things that are portable and cause damage whilst searching for them, just take a few photos of items that you consider are high risk, and of course retain purchase receipts. no reputable insurer will question this, unless you are a serial claimant, which I consider to be highly unlikely.

It is a good idea to keep receipts of the most expensive items but not essential

Make sure that the Insurance  Company has been told of expensive items if required by the policy.

A photograph of the item in the house is also effective.

Handbook, instructions etc., also  a long way to establish ownership.

As crookesey says go around the house photographing everything, don't forget everything in cupboards, drawers, shelves etc, passports, passes, medicines, bikes and their numbers. Fittings,  carpets, furniture etc. IT, digital, media and comms,

An Insurance Company who is dealing with an organised family will not quibble.

You will forget to claim for items after a fire.

Insurance Companies can now find out what devices are connected to the internet/web Cameras, mobile phones, scanners, printers, tablets, laptops, players, etc.

They see if they are used in the future

If they suspect fraud which will cancel the whole claim.

Edited by Annie Bynnol

All very good advice,

but don't forget to keep the Photos / camera  somewhere safe.

Check the type of cover you have.

Old for New as an example,

are any out buildings covered.

most of all check the small print.

Hope you never have to make a claim,

Keep safe Pattricia.

Thank you for your very helpful advice. I shall take note of it.! I have no expensive jewellery or antiques so I will not renew that part of my policy. They keep putting the full amount up at the renewal date ,every year,  and as I have never made a claim, I will have a look on the website “ Go Compare “ Also does one really need “ Accidental Damage” ?

Pattricia have you looked at Saga, mind you you have to be over 50 so you probably won't be able to. My policy has barely gone up over the last three years and you can also set it for a fixed price for three years I think, if you pay a little more.

27 minutes ago, iansheff said:

Pattricia have you looked at Saga, mind you you have to be over 50 so you probably won't be able to. My policy has barely gone up over the last three years and you can also set it for a fixed price for three years I think, if you pay a little more.

I am definitely over 50 ! Never thought about Saga. I will definitely ring them up for a quote. Thanks Ian.

Some insurance companies offer 'all contents' cover of a fixed sum, without requiring details of individual items or those with a value high relative to the others.

On 12/09/2021 at 17:25, Jeffrey Shaw said:

Some insurance companies offer 'all contents' cover of a fixed sum, without requiring details of individual items or those with a value high relative to the others.

Thank you for your advice Jeffrey. Also how do you insure the house itself ? Do you go on what the house would cost to rebuild or what the selling price of your house is in your area ?

My household insurance is due and I have to put a price on my policy what it would cost to rebuild my house. How do I know what my house would cost to do this ?. It’s a four bedroomed detached house with garage. Any ideas ?

Could you find out what close by neighbours with similar properties have put on theirs ?