Doctors And Surgeries Getting Lazy.

IMO the health service is being deliberately run down to encourage more people to go private. The NHS is definately being privatised by the back door and outsourced at outrageous costs. Value for money it aint.

On 16/09/2021 at 12:45, dan_999uk said:

It's also efficient because it transfers most risk to the NHS, cherry picking patients who are less likely to have complications and routinely transferring patients requiring high dependency and critical care into the NHS. 

This is true. And the NHS often has to pick up the pieces when private medicine goes wrong.

9 minutes ago, Anna B said:

This is true. And the NHS often has to pick up the pieces when private medicine goes wrong.

Yes and vice versa when NHS treatment goes wrong.

I've seen those compensation amounts flowing out from NHS Resolution.  Don't be underestimating how many claimants start demanding private restoration treatment as part of their settlement as soon as they prove negligence.

Nice try.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Has anyone come across their doctor refusing to prescribe something. I hadback pain for many months. The doctor prescribed me Neproxin  for 1 month which did wonders, I then went to get another prescription and he wouldn't prescribe because it is bad for the liver but I know other people who have been on it for years, just wondering why the double standards?

Could do with your help please….

I’m conducting research at the University of Sheffield (Faculty of Medicine) looking at the use of online symptom assessment tools in General Practice from the perspectives of older adults.  

Just wondering if anyone on here (aged over 60) has made use of the Doctorlink symptom assessment tool? If so, I would love to have a chat with you please to note your user experience, as well as your thoughts on the use of such tools in general practice. Currently several Sheffield GP surgeries (list included below) are using this tool as part of their online service package.

Older adults face distinct barriers when accessing GP services even though they are amongst the highest users of the service. Therefore, your insights will be invaluable and may influence policy makers and technology providers.

If you wish to participate in my research (1-hour friendly chat followed by optional workshops), please feel free to drop me a message / comment. Alternatively, you can email me at [email protected].

Feel free to share this post with friends/family who might also like to take part. 

Baslow Road, Shoreham Street & Darnall Hall Surgeries
Sloan Medical Centre & Blackstock Road Surgery
Manchester Road Surgery
University Health Service
Clover Darnall Primary Care Centre
Clover Heeley Green
Valley Medical Centre Stocksbridge
Crookes Medical Centre
Elm Lane and Chapeltown Surgery
Stannington MC
Chapelgreen Practice
Grenoside Surgery & Wadsley Bridge MC
Hackenthorpe Surgery

Many thanks!

Ibby

I think I have been very lucky. Over the past few months I have been seen by my doctor, surgery nurses, district nurses, ophthalmology, audiology and had an MRI scan. In contrast my brother, who lives in Portsmouth and has severe COPD can't get anywhere with his doctor who just tells him to buy cough medicine. His coughing bouts are just awful and he is really suffering.

i have been happy with our doctors at jordanthorpe,its not been easy for them,review your doctor in 6 months time as that would be fairer im my mind.

2 hours ago, dan_999uk said:

The number of full time equivalent GPs in England has fallen from 28,100 in 2016 to 27,700 in 2021. In 2016, there were 51.4 GPs per 100,000 population. This has now dropped to 46.3 in 2021, effectively a drop of 10%.

Despite this, and if Covid vaccine appointments are discounted, GPs still saw a 17% rise in the number of appointments compared with last year – up from an estimated 20.4 million in August 2020 to 23.9 million last month.

Not in my neck of the woods they haven't.

As we can see just from this thread the situation is patchy, what's working in some places isn't working in others, that's the problem, so overall statistics don't really give an accurate picture of what's going on. Getting to see your doctor is therefore a bit of a lottery.

I don’t know about GP practices but the head of rheumatology and his number two at the Hallamshire, who in my opinion we’re excellent doctors, are now using their skills in foreign parts. To lose one is misfortunate, but to loose two is down right carelessness.

So here's my recent experience. 

My son was born just over 2 years ago and whilst gestating was diagnosed with enlarged ventricles in the brain which was kept an eye on, however at one point we were facing the possibility of our child needing surgery not long after he was born. Thankfully that became unnecessary. His neuro issues have subsided but still registered with neurology. 

Recently both myself and his mum have noticed that he has developed a 'lazy eye' & given his previous we wanted to get it checked.

Our GP offered a PHONE appointment 🤬

How in god's green earth is a GP meant to diagnose a new, physical issue without seeing the patient? 

Mark my words, in the coming years there will be an investigation by somone that will attribute scores of unnecessary deaths directly linked to GPs and their cowardice. Because that's what it is, cowardice. Refusing to see patients and then sending them to their colleagues in the hospitals. 

22 hours ago, Resident said:

So here's my recent experience. 

My son was born just over 2 years ago and whilst gestating was diagnosed with enlarged ventricles in the brain which was kept an eye on, however at one point we were facing the possibility of our child needing surgery not long after he was born. Thankfully that became unnecessary. His neuro issues have subsided but still registered with neurology. 

Recently both myself and his mum have noticed that he has developed a 'lazy eye' & given his previous we wanted to get it checked.

Our GP offered a PHONE appointment 🤬

How in god's green earth is a GP meant to diagnose a new, physical issue without seeing the patient? 

Mark my words, in the coming years there will be an investigation by somone that will attribute scores of unnecessary deaths directly linked to GPs and their cowardice. Because that's what it is, cowardice. Refusing to see patients and then sending them to their colleagues in the hospitals. 

I developed a vision situation rung the expert on reception (40 mins on phone wait) She told me to go to the optician .

Ended up at hospital with serious eye problem .