Fed up of squirrels chewing through my garden solar light cables!

The other day I found that he/they'd done 2 sets in the same afternoon! One set had only been 'repaired' the day before, but this time two of the twenty 'globes' were missing as well! Nowhere to be found, so presumably dragged off somewhere for some reason.

What's the attraction?!

Why don't you go next door?!!

This year I have never seen as many squirrels in my garden , we back onto massive woods . Now they are lovely to see but they are becoming bolder . All my strawberry patch gone ,even though netted , small cherry tree no cherries survived , lettuces  gone , flower heads nipped off , they even  ( somehow ) managed to destroy one of my pond plants . Buggers 

Grey squirrel = Pests indeed.  They can cause a lot of damage if they get into your roof space too!  They are bushy tailed rats really.  One way to to move them on is removing ALL forms of food. 

Another is lead poisoning by way of .177 or .22 pellet administered at speed through a chamber.  🙄😲

Mice also like to chew/eat the plastic outer isulation on cables. There is something in the cable compounds apparently  that attracts them.

6 hours ago, Janus said:

Mice also like to chew/eat the plastic outer isulation on cables. There is something in the cable compounds apparently  that attracts them.

Its because its made with cheese 

On 12/09/2021 at 19:57, hackey lad said:

Its because its made with cheese 

I'm not sure why you bothered with the above, but oddly enough it turns out that some manufacturers of insulation are indeed including soya in the mix.

We had one pesky squirrel which used to climb on a tree halfway down the garden,  jump onto the gutterinng and get into  the roof space,  I could hear it moving about when i n bed.  

We had remedial work done in the house and the roofers found a three - foot nest,  they blocked the corner of the roof up,  the squirrel had to get out through the chimney, 

and I got such a shock as it appeared he brought out several baby squirrels and a female mate in his mouth,  carrying them to the nearby wood.   Overall they were in there and around for quite a few years,

I got to wondering what their lifespan was.

Edited by cressida

I love squirrels but haven’t seen a single one this year in my garden. Someone told me to buy peanuts still in their shells for them but they weren’t tempted, and the birds took them.

Edited by pattricia

We get loads of them , even on the street  .

2 hours ago, hackey lad said:

We get loads of them , even on the street  .

Isn’t it strange ? You get all those and I get none !

20 hours ago, pattricia said:

Isn’t it strange ? You get all those and I get none !

Not really , our back garden backs onto  very big woods