Couple New To Sheffield :-)

Hello there!

Middle-aged couple moving up from London to Sheffield end of the month.  I'm bringing back old family roots to South Yorkshire so not totally a 'southerner' 😉

Anyhoo.. with just the one car, what's the best way of getting around from the suburbs of Sheffield, we'll be renting in Tinsley (Brimsworth) for a while.  Say I need to get to Sheffield station and hubby's got the car- do I bus it, or get a taxi or Uber - what's the best method/company presently?  Ok to use the taxis late at night for a woman travelling home alone??

What are the best/easiest to use Sheffield and outskirts transport planning websites?

Many thanks!

I would've thought bussing it would be better. Probably from Sheffield City Centre to Brinsworth it's about 45 mins on bus.

linky:      73-74-74a-X74-Rotherham-valid-from-08-March-2021.pdf (travelsouthyorkshire.com)

There's a tram service that stops at Tinsley. But then there's the travel from the tram stop to Brinsworth - that's about a mile. Don't know about bus services from the tram stop to Brinsworth.

Guest makapaka
27 minutes ago, FelineUK said:

Hello there!

Middle-aged couple moving up from London to Sheffield end of the month.  I'm bringing back old family roots to South Yorkshire so not totally a 'southerner' 😉

Anyhoo.. with just the one car, what's the best way of getting around from the suburbs of Sheffield, we'll be renting in Tinsley (Brimsworth) for a while.  Say I need to get to Sheffield station and hubby's got the car- do I bus it, or get a taxi or Uber - what's the best method/company presently?  Ok to use the taxis late at night for a woman travelling home alone??

What are the best/easiest to use Sheffield and outskirts transport planning websites?

Many thanks!

City taxis are probably biggest taxi rank.

I would think the tram from tinsley to town would be quickest - depends how long it takes you to get the tram too from where you live.

there’ll be buses also but brinsworth is a bit out of the way from Sheffield city centre so not sure how regular they are.

Actually I would need to get to Leeds from Brinsworth/Tinsley so from what I can see, would seem easier to go to Rotherham station, rather than Sheffield.. and then just get a taxi home from Rotherham station?  It'll take a bit of getting used to again, but we'll get there!

Guest makapaka

You’d probably be best going to meadowhall

As makapaka says. Meadowhall is a major interchange, with buses, trams, and direct trains to Leeds.

12 minutes ago, dave_the_m said:

As makapaka says. Meadowhall is a major interchange, with buses, trams, and direct trains to Leeds.

There are direct trains to Leeds from Rotherham tbf although only one an hour and it stops everywhere. Meadowhall is 3tph I think and 2 are express ones 

33 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

There are direct trains to Leeds from Rotherham tbf although only one an hour and it stops everywhere. Meadowhall is 3tph I think and 2 are express ones 

Thanks everyone - some great advice here which I'll explore once up there.