Sheffield in the 80s

Originally posted by melthebell

i remmeber winning a slade lp at the fair, i think it was high hazels or maybe endcliffe park?

it was sladest and when i really got into music they WERE unfashionable so i gave it my younger sister to destroy :)

oh another record shop i forgot was rare and racy, used to love that shop, i remember all the psychik tv records, hearing the tibetan monk cds and thinking hm wouldnt mind some of that for when im smashed :

also wasnt the owner once done for dope and there was an lp made to fund his defence?

i cant remember the band now, i can picture the sleeve tho, red and white? - pete will know which one :)

melthebell, the defence lp might have been released by mighty sheffield records and called vinyl virgins, in 1988/9, featuring pschoterrorists etc.

this is only a guess, going on the description of the cover!

i thought sladest was one of slade's best albums! if you see it on cd in a bargain bin, snap it up! you might like it again!

nah the album was an early 80s album, by pressure or somebody?, local sheffield band i think, maybe leeds? *gets ready to run* it was called solidarity or something

just had a look in my record collector price bible :P

it could be pressure co (caberet voltaires spin off band) theres a live in sheffield 82 album, maybe that, not sure, rings a bell though

Tony and Damon,

Amrik Rai was indeed an NME journalist. He famously reviewed a gig [can't remember who] at a venue in Derby and witnesses wrote in to say that he had never strayed from the bar and thus never actually saw the band playing. He was also 'chinned' by ClockDVA leader Adi Newton [Gary Coates] after he savaged a performance by 'the white souls in black suits'. For a while he managed Chakk, before getting involved in FON, alongside my old friend, Alan Fisch. Rai is now a radical Sikh.

Originally posted by melthebell

just had a look in my record collector price bible :P

not sure what it is then...

but while you're in the record collector bible, look up pulp: if their tapes are in there, there's a compilation tape from 1986 with pulp and my old band the f... city sh...ers worth a tenner!

Originally posted by timo

Tony and Damon,

Amrik Rai was indeed an NME journalist. He famously reviewed a gig [can't remember who] at a venue in Derby and witnesses wrote in to say that he had never strayed from the bar and thus never actually saw the band playing. He was also 'chinned' by ClockDVA leader Adi Newton [Gary Coates] after he savaged a performance by 'the white souls in black suits'. For a while he managed Chakk, before getting involved in FON, alongside my old friend, Alan Fisch. Rai is now a radical Sikh.

is this the same amrik who was involved in setting up the republic club in the late nineties?

if so a fellow-band-member of the time threw a pint of beer over him in the rutland!

Pete,

It may well be the same Amrik, but I don't know for sure. He always seemed to have some project or other up his sleeve when I briefly knew him. I played in Chakk rivals, Workforce for a while [sax, percussion, keys, tapes]. Rai interviewed us for NME after our first Peel Session and single, but the NME interview mysteriously never saw the light. I put it down to the fact that he was also the manager of Chakk, and didn't want similar [although more experimental] bands such as Workforce and Hula to steal Chakk's thunder.

The Amrik Rai I knew was dating a very cute part-Polish blonde girl called Barbara [mid to late 1980s]. He was known for developing sudden, intense passions for new hobbies. I recall him [rather improbably] once announcing a great passion for coarse fishing, and he vowed to catch a Pike after witnessing one savage a duck. Strange days...

timo

it sounds like the same person...

i have a press cutting with his photo on, sort of wavy brown hair, not very tall, always looked a bit serious, never one to belly-laugh but a nice chap i thought :)

hi we used to go there most weekends paddling in the pool and messing abpout on them silly paddle boats we always ended up argueing over which way to go at millhouses park in the early eighties

you would have found me in the WAPENTAKE and REBELS :D

Me too Jon even though I was underage :o