Sheffield in the 80s

8) Nah Den Ace.........

I started going to the Limit regular from about '87. The music was an eclectic mix of punk/indie/goth/house. I used to drink lager snakebites in plastic glasses - a totally unique taste - it got you where you wanted to go though! I had a flat-top at the time.......anybody else remember the "Psychobilly" craze? I remember coming home with bruises all over my body from slam-dancing/wrecking.

Going to the toilet was a journey and an aif! First, you had to walk past the OCS (Wednesday boys), who used to congregate just outside the toilets. (To be fair, they never bothered any of us. I only ever saw them battling when United or the skinheads came down!) There was always a dodgy black geezer selling drugs as you went in! The toilets were basically unisex - there would be couples copulating in the cubicles and there was a mirror in the lasses, so all the goths would go in there to do their hair!

I also remember sticking to the carpet, dry ice, the "Goth Box", anti-gravity hair and psychopathic bouncers - I too remember being thrown out the back door, a maze which led onto Trippet Lane!

The Hallamshire on West Street was my regular haunt and I also went to Take Two on Staniforth Road, "The Club With Two Brains" at Occasions, "Club With No Name" at The Palais, 50s night at The Dog and Partridge (on 'cliffe) and The Leadmill.

Great days! They broke my heart when they closed the Limit. I went on the closing night. When was that.......89/90/91? I remember a bloke called John filmed it - has anybody seen it?

Also, what was the name of the record shop just up from the Forresters on Division Street?

Regards,

Spacehopper.

Originally posted by errol

Hi, getting a bit cheeky r'nt you never went to turn ups. Heard of bar rio where was it ? anyway you must be getting on if you can remember baileys ha ha . Do you go in night clubs now or do they make you feel old ?

Bar Rio was on Charles Street.In the 70s it was owned by two men called Mick and Les,and their slogan was "Fly on down to the Bar Rio".I`ve still got an old photo of me in one of their Bar Rio t-shirts.

Remember WESTERN JEAN COMPANY and JEAN GENIE, two shops on fargate, and BRADLEYS RECORDS also on fargate.

remember VIOLET MAY's record shop off the Moor?

Remember the courtyard bar of the origianal STONEHOUSE pub, used to drink there in 81/2/3, superb place.

Remember BRINGING IT ALL BACK HOME on Glossop road (now a pizza place) that sold hippie clothes and beanbags and had a t room upstairs always smelling of dope?

Remember THE UNDERGROUND bar on Charles Street, now CHARLES STREET nightclub? Decked out like a subway station it was, quite futuristic in 1984 I recall thinking.

Remember the pub culture craze of 1982 to make pubs into "FUN PUBS"....lasted until 1984 and made a lot of my local faves themed bars, THE PLOUGH at Sandygate, BRINCLIFFE OAKS, netheredge to name but 2 conversions.

Oh, I could go on....

Originally posted by goldenfleece

Remember the courtyard bar of the origianal STONEHOUSE pub, used to drink there in 81/2/3, superb place.

I thought I was the only one who remembs the courtyard in Stone House. The 'Outside-In' place. Amazing place and why the hell did they get rid of it? It was the number one meeting place all through the 70's for me. Didn't realise it survived until the 80's. In those days it was into the Courtyard, followed by the Pig & Whistle (now Fountains Bar), the Old Blue Bell in High Street (now

Cavells), the Dove & Rainbow, the Mulberry, and then ending up at the Crazy Daisy. Did life get any better than that???

Originally posted by Houdi

Originally posted by goldenfleece

I thought I was the only one who remembs the courtyard in Stone House. The 'Outside-In' place. Amazing place and why the hell did they get rid of it? It was the number one meeting place all through the 70's for me. Didn't realise it survived until the 80's. In those days it was into the Courtyard, followed by the Pig & Whistle (now Fountains Bar), the Old Blue Bell in High Street (now

Cavells), the Dove & Rainbow, the Mulberry, and then ending up at the Crazy Daisy. Did life get any better than that???

Originally posted by Jon

did u go to bradleys records to buy your iron maiden singles in red vinyl :wink:

What about Curtiss on The Moor. They always had Klaus Wunderlich organ records blasting out on Bang & Olufsen gear. I once went in there and listened to "School Love" by Barry Blue. Decided not to buy it and got a nasty look from the assistant.

There was also 'Cann, The Music Man' on Chapel Walk. I remember we got our first radiogramme from there.

Hal, you went in to buy Barry Blues School love.

No wonder you got a funny look.:)

Originally posted by Spacehopper

8) Nah Den Ace.........

Also, what was the name of the record shop just up from the Forresters on Division Street?

Regards,

Spacehopper.

That'll be FON which later mutated into WARP!

FON!! I always thought that it stood for **** Off Nazi's. Was that true?

I remember ordering a pre-release of House Arrest by Krush from them.

Ahh, they were the days - all nighters in aircraft hangers and dodgy warehouses... waiting on slip roads for the venue to be revealed... getting raided by the federation. Happy hazy acid filled nights and days. :D

Originally posted by Tony

FON!! I always thought that it stood for **** Off Nazi's. Was that true?

I remember ordering a pre-release of House Arrest by Krush from them.

Ahh, they were the days - all nighters in aircraft hangers and dodgy warehouses... waiting on slip roads for the venue to be revealed... getting raided by the federation. Happy hazy acid filled nights and days. :D

FON did indeed stand for F*** Off Nazis. As a record label, they had some great releases - 'House Arrest' by Krush, 'Hustle' by Funky Worm and Age Of Chance's incendiary version of Prince's 'Kiss' all spring to mind.

Wasn't FON run by a mouthy Asian bloke - was he called Amrik Rai? Summat like that anyway.

Plus they made extensive use of Sheffield's very own globally famous design studio, The Designers Republic. It gave them that instantly recognisable gaudily coloured look that meant you always knew you were holding a FON release, even before you checked for the logo. And when FON packed in, the baton was passed to WARP... who are still going strong nearly 15 years later!! (Albeit in London rather than Sheffield).

I thought that Amrik Rai was on the NME?

But yes ... "It's The Funky Funky Worm" cue mad laughter.... "listen to the music"....

Originally posted by Tony

I thought that Amrik Rai was on the NME?

He was, but it was the same bloke. I don't know if he actually ran FON, but he certainly performed some kind of PR role for them. I've got an article at home from the shortlived 'Cut' magazine in which he was outlining all FON's ambitious plans for the future... at which point they pretty much ceased operating. Shame.