Dean & Dawson Travel Agents

Good Morning, Does anyone please know anything about the history of Dean and Dawson's Travel Agents based in Sheffield? I believe they were in existence in the early 1920's and collaborating with the Great Central Railway in arranging excursion trains from Sheffield Victoria station. The GCR became part of the London and North Eastern Railway in 1923, with Dean & Dawson very much continuing to work with them. What I'm trying to find out is whether or not Dean & Dawson actually became part of the LNER organisation?  If it was, there is another possibily that as part of the 1948 Nationalisation of the Railway when the LNER became part of British Railways, Dean & Dawson may have been sold off to such as Thomas Cooks? I understand that Dean & Dawson's had many branches throughout South Yorkshire until the 1960's. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks, Phil

Located at 66 Fargate, sandwiched by HL Brown's and an alleyway leading to a betting shop.

Manager in late 60's was Mr.P.J.Smith.

At that time - to my knowledge - it was the only branch.

In '69, was still trading under own name, but was - as you say - actually owned by Thomas Cook.  When it eventually changed the name, it became one of two TC branches on Fargate, before closing and being transferred to a location on Pinstone Street, sometime in '70/71.

They seem to have started around 1878 by Halifax born Joseph Dean as Dean and Henry, by 1885 the company had become Dean & Dawson at 31 High Street and 218 West Street. Within a short time they had branches in the Haymarket, Rotherham, Manchester Victoria Station plus others.

By 1920 they were running Battlefield pilgrimages to WW1 battlefields.

Joseph Dean died in 1932.

Edited by sadbrewer

Thanks very much for the very helpful information. I've been looking at the history of the railway's in Sheffield where for many years Dean & Dawson promoted several hundred (or more) excursion trains going throughout the country. It's quite possible they became part of the London and North Eastern Railway (LNER) and when British Railways were formed in the 1948 Nationalisation, they would have to be sold off. Hence why I suggested they became part of Thomas Cook. Thanks again, Phil

On the subject of travel agents,my grandson who is interested in all things Titanic has a copy of a poster advertising Titanics  Atlantic crossing.Booking at Thomas Cook ,Fargate ,Sheffield