Social Care - Increase Tax Or Not.

Cynic that I am when the dreaded word ‘government’ is mentioned, I’ve got a feeling that one of my theories is about to emerge. They’re on a fishing trip, they haven’t got a clue what the people would accept and want us to choose, cheeky buggers. They are the guys with the majority in the house, so might very likely have to make a decision on this one, a decision that will have a huge bearing on the result of the next general election.

8 minutes ago, crookesey said:

Cynic that I am when the dreaded word ‘government’ is mentioned, I’ve got a feeling that one of my theories is about to emerge. They’re on a fishing trip, they haven’t got a clue what the people would accept and want us to choose, cheeky buggers. They are the guys with the majority in the house, so might very likely have to make a decision on this one, a decision that will have a huge bearing on the result of the next general election.

This government has a history of floating proposals unofficially to see what the public's reaction to them would be before picking what to do and I think you're right that they've been doing it with this issue too.

The impacts of what to do about social care is too long term to be decided in anything other than a cross party way. You can't have one government implementing a solution that suits them only for another one to change it to something they prefer.

20 minutes ago, altus said:

This government has a history of floating proposals unofficially to see what the public's reaction to them would be before picking what to do and I think you're right that they've been doing it with this issue too.

The impacts of what to do about social care is too long term to be decided in anything other than a cross party way. You can't have one government implementing a solution that suits them only for another one to change it to something they prefer.

Couldn't agree more. 

So he has put NI up 1.25%, how can the people trust him he has lied, he has broken promises made in the manifesto and still he has a job. Time we got shut of him and his cronies, won't be a surprise if some of the MP's will make money with links to various companies, trouble is there is no credible opposition and he knows it.

Edited by iansheff

On 05/09/2021 at 14:13, crookesey said:

And the Tories will still have a good laugh at Labour if you guys insist on the continuance of the National Insurance contribution increase accusations.

Accusations? Really?

Social care should never have been separated from the NHS, and the NHS should never have outsourced it's responsibilities to private, profit driven companies. 

National insurance should have gone up every year since its inception in line with inflation, and ring fenced, for obvious reasons. 

Alzheimers is the biggest issue in social care and frankly, for the money that's charged, the care is abysmal.  It's not 'just a disease of old age' or every old person would have it, and no 45 year olds would be suffering from it which they are. It's a lottery and makes the difference between penury in old age, or leaving your life's work to your children. It is a quantifiable illness and should qualify for 'continuing care' funding just like other diseases, (though even less and less of these are being covered too.)

As for covid causing any of this, that's rubbish. This problem goes back years to well before the pandemic. As usual Boris is hiding behind it. 

The money/taxes going into solving the problem will simply go into the back pockets of the company chiefs and care providers, and do little to improve the quality of care, the understaffing, or the minimum wage of the hardworkers. 

Look to the Scandinavian countries to see how it should be done.  

Edited by Anna B

6 minutes ago, taxman said:

Accusations? Really?

Yup, something muted about being implemented tomorrow is an accusation, something that has happened today is fact, that’s real.

15 minutes ago, crookesey said:

Yup, something muted about being implemented tomorrow is an accusation, something that has happened today is fact, that’s real.

Do you think the Tories will still be having a good laugh at Labour now they've actually announced they will implement the thing Labour accused them of?

26 minutes ago, altus said:

Do you think the Tories will still be having a good laugh at Labour now they've actually announced they will implement the thing Labour accused them of?

He who laughs last laughs longest (I prefer loudest), I wouldn’t trust either to tell the truth about anything, they are most likely all in the member’s bar having a good laugh at us.

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

Social care should never have been separated from the NHS, and the NHS should never have outsourced it's responsibilities to private, profit driven companies. 

National insurance should have gone up every year since its inception in line with inflation, and ring fenced, for obvious reasons. 

Alzheimers is the biggest issue in social care and frankly, for the money that's charged, the care is abysmal.  It's not 'just a disease of old age' or every old person would have it, and no 45 year olds would be suffering from it which they are. It's a lottery and makes the difference between penury in old age, or leaving your life's work to your children. It is a quantifiable illness and should qualify for 'continuing care' funding just like other diseases, (though even less and less of these are being covered too.)

As for covid causing any of this, that's rubbish. This problem goes back years to well before the pandemic. As usual Boris is hiding behind it. 

The money/taxes going into solving the problem will simply go into the back pockets of the company chiefs and care providers, and do little to improve the quality of care, the understaffing, or the minimum wage of the hardworkers. 

Look to the Scandinavian countries to see how it should be done.  

Exactly right Anna. Well said!

My dad developed the dreaded disease and ended up in a care home after he'd been discharged from hospital. He was never 'wealthy' but because he'd put some savings aside for his old age he ended up paying the entire £1200 per week for what was very basic care. And that's after paying his NI for the whole of his working life. Many of us will be in the same boat when you factor in the value of all assets such as houses. And all, as Anna says, to line the pockets of the already wealthy company chiefs of the private 'care' providers.

Guest sibon
1 hour ago, West 77 said:

The world has changed since the 2019 Tory election manifesto.  The change in circumstances justifies an increase in National Insurance contributions.

What was he originally going to do?

He told us he had a plan. What was it?

On 05/09/2021 at 18:24, Anna B said:

Yes they most certainly do, and fleece us in the process. But there is very little in the way of accountability unlike any other business venture. They just use the government as a cash cow.

Most of the big companies like Serco and Capita are headed up by Boris's friends and cronies anyway, all making a nice bob or two (or £millions) out of the taxpayer.

And the Government in turn use the public as their cash cow, such as allowing energy companies to increase prices by 15% and more because they will take more money in  VAT.