Social Care - Increase Tax Or Not.

9 minutes ago, West 77 said:

You assume wrong.

If you managed to cope in such a situation I give you my respect but not all families can manage to cope not because they do not want to look after their loved one at home but because they are just not able . Many families care for a period of time but the long term strain is just too much for them.

16 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Are you sure you  did not mean to say 'Anna B'  and not 'Annie'?

I did mean Anna. My apologies. 

8 minutes ago, West 77 said:

I'm not going to waste time giving you a response.

I judge the majority of those families to be weak families.

A 'judge' would give an opinion based on evidence.

You have no evidence.

You guess.

You are no judge. 

Go get some. 

33 minutes ago, West 77 said:

I'm not going to waste time giving you a response.

I judge the majority of those families to be weak families.

Your judgement is of no consequence as you do so without knowing the facts.

If you should ever be in such a situation you may reflect on your opinions at this moment in time and judge yourself.

Edited by harvey19

2 hours ago, West 77 said:

Good  families who genuinely love and respect their vulnerable relatives find a  way to look after them rather than dumping them in a care home. The truth is the majority of families who put vulnerable relatives in care homes are selfish people who don't like hard work and don't really love and respect the relative they dump in a care home. 

What a wonderful sweeping generalisation, demonstrating a lack of understanding and empathy of the personal situations of so many perfect strangers to you.

2 hours ago, West 77 said:

Good  families who genuinely love and respect their vulnerable relatives find a  way to look after them rather than dumping them in a care home. The truth is the majority of families who put vulnerable relatives in care homes are selfish people who don't like hard work and don't really love and respect the relative they dump in a care home. 

While I don't dispute that there are some familes like that, there are also many people who have complex long term care needs which, however much they may want too,  an ordinary family cannot provide.

For these people, residential care is the best and safest option. 

People seem to be going off subject. Anna B asked a simple question should taxes be raised to pay for social care I personally would have no problem with this

Did charging students £9,000 a year tuition fees improve their education? Did it reduce our overall tax bill? No, it just made it a less attractive option to many of the hardest pressed families.

Has dentistry improved now that it's been all but removed from the NHS? No, It's just a lot more expensive. Have our taxes gone down to allow us to pay it? No 'course not.

Will charging extra tax/national insurance make the current social care situation improve? I very much doubt it unless the system changes radically. We'll just end up paying out more money for no discernable benefit.  

Labours  Liz Kendall was interviewed on news today . Despite being asked three or more times what Labour would do , she couldnt answer 

10 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Did charging students £9,000 a year tuition fees improve their education? Did it reduce our overall tax bill? No, it just made it a less attractive option to many of the hardest pressed families.

Has dentistry improved now that it's been all but removed from the NHS? No, It's just a lot more expensive. Have our taxes gone down to allow us to pay it? No 'course not.

Will charging extra tax/national insurance make the current social care situation improve? I very much doubt it unless the system changes radically. We'll just end up paying out more money for no discernable benefit.  

How are you quantifying the fact that university fees haven't improved education?  I've seen an awful lot of new university buildings on my travels over the last 10 years or so.

1 hour ago, Becky B said:

What a wonderful sweeping generalisation, demonstrating a lack of understanding and empathy of the personal situations of so many perfect strangers to you.

Quite. 

I've had reason to challenge this poster before on his complete lack of empathy or even basic knowledge on the issue with regards to 'families who dump their loved ones in care homes'. I now just regard him with contempt.

A friend of mine looked after his elderly mother in her own home for nearly 15 years. He gave up his job, his life, any chance of happiness, and ultimately his own health. 

When his mother died a few years ago, he had to go on Jobseekers Allowance. Because his musculoskeletal system is knackered after years of undertaking backbreaking care work on his own, he is limited as to what he can do. Even though he has saved the taxpayer an absolute fortune in undertaking the care work on his own; it hasn't stopped the Benefits Agency showing a complete lack of regard to his situation.

Edited by Mister M

46 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Do you remember when bus fares in Sheffield were 10 pence for any journey ?

Some people moaned about how council tax was subsidising the buses.

So bus fares were increased, council tax did not go down and you can judge whether the service improved.