Sign in to follow this  

Any Plans For The Derelict Market Tavern On Exchange Street?

Seems to have derelict for some time the roof is slowly falling in on the top floor. I only went  in once just before it closed a bit run down and had a bit of reputation. With the Castle Market site cleared a few years back I expected it to follow but was left up perhaps a re-use plan was made but fell though. It would be nice to see it restored .  Do you think it is worth saving and what use it could have or is it time to take it down?

On 03/09/2021 at 16:00, GabrielC said:

Seems to have derelict for some time the roof is slowly falling in on the top floor. I only went  in once just before it closed a bit run down and had a bit of reputation. With the Castle Market site cleared a few years back I expected it to follow but was left up perhaps a re-use plan was made but fell though. It would be nice to see it restored .  Do you think it is worth saving and what use it could have or is it time to take it down?

Hi Gabriel,

I don't think I've seen any solid plans for it, and wouldn't expect any right now because the area is in limbo until the markets site moves forward with a genuine strategy.

I assume it's internal fittings as a tavern remain, hence why it's still empty - any internal works that someone would need to do to make it suitable for letting to a different use would probably be more than it is worth right now. If you look around it - the building next door to it and the parade of shops on the south side of Exchange Street - they have found uses, tenants etc, so there is scope for activity but I think it is the awkwardness of refit which would be holding it back.

I'm not sure about the roof but if you are right about that then it only exacerbates the above issue. It's just more cost that an owner/developer just isn't going to bother taking on right now.

On the plus side, every outline plan for the castlegate/markets site I've seen always seems to include both the tavern and it's neighbour buildings in them. I don't think they're listed, but certainly it seems like the council like the idea of maintaining them. I do to; I think so much of the older character has been lost around that area that it's good to try and retain what is left, and if possible it would be good to see it become a pub again. Whatever uses the market sites finds over the next decade I don't think it would hurt having a revamped Market Tavern/Tap & Barrel at opposite corners...

On 06/09/2021 at 15:15, AndrewC said:

Hi Gabriel,

I don't think I've seen any solid plans for it, and wouldn't expect any right now because the area is in limbo until the markets site moves forward with a genuine strategy.

I assume it's internal fittings as a tavern remain, hence why it's still empty - any internal works that someone would need to do to make it suitable for letting to a different use would probably be more than it is worth right now. If you look around it - the building next door to it and the parade of shops on the south side of Exchange Street - they have found uses, tenants etc, so there is scope for activity but I think it is the awkwardness of refit which would be holding it back.

I'm not sure about the roof but if you are right about that then it only exacerbates the above issue. It's just more cost that an owner/developer just isn't going to bother taking on right now.

On the plus side, every outline plan for the castlegate/markets site I've seen always seems to include both the tavern and it's neighbour buildings in them. I don't think they're listed, but certainly it seems like the council like the idea of maintaining them. I do to; I think so much of the older character has been lost around that area that it's good to try and retain what is left, and if possible it would be good to see it become a pub again. Whatever uses the market sites finds over the next decade I don't think it would hurt having a revamped Market Tavern/Tap & Barrel at opposite corners...

I'm not sure reopening the Market Tavern as a pub would work to be honest the area around the former Castle Market has seen many pubs disappear though lack of trade. Ideally the structure should be repaired sooner rather than later I suspect there is a lot of water damage inside so basically strip out job. If it was me I would turn the upper floors into flats the former bar area into retail unit or two depending on floor space. All depends if the building is structurally sound.