Proposal To Turn The Former Debenhams Store Into A High Street Hospital

Agreed, the cost of conversion and the amount of regs to comply with would make demolition and rebuild a better option. Would be handy to have a centrally located hospital though, I never saw the sense in moving A&E to the Northern which is the arse end of nowhere for a lot of people. Won’t happen though.

2 hours ago, Jim117 said:

Would be handy to have a centrally located hospital though, I never saw the sense in moving A&E to the Northern which is the arse end of nowhere for a lot of people. Won’t happen though.

Not a great location to be getting ambulances in and out of though, and there isn't really the room to have several of them parked up at any one time.

Which you obviously need as delivering the patient and clean-up of the ambulance after can take quite some time.

The Debenham's building would be tiny for a hospital. Maybe you could move a quarter of the Hallamshire's outpatients services there.

I think it would make a good drug and alcohol rehabilitation centre.  Most of the city centre is plagued with morons who abuse drugs and alcohol and it would be somewhere they could be directed to by the numerous Police Officers,  PCSO's and Council CEO's who patrol our city centre streets. 

Just a minute, am I imagining all of this?

Great effort is being put into re-building our broken city centre, not the best idea IMHO.

5 hours ago, Tipstaff said:

I think it would make a good drug and alcohol rehabilitation centre. 

Lovely idea, you going to pay for that are you? Literally the most expensive type of drug and alcohol treatment. 

Edited by HeHasRisen

2 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Lovely idea, you going to pay for that are you? Literally the most expensive type of drug and alcohol treatment. 

And the community treatment centre is just round the corner.

Just now, saywhatnow said:

And the community treatment centre is just round the corner.

Indeed.

What new use could be found for the building or should it be demolished  to create perhaps another building or left open as a open space? 

The whole thing makes me laugh. A think tank has been given an award for proposing a plan for a building they don't own, will not own and they have no obligations to actually turn the proposal into reality. It's as much credence as my putting forward a plan with a few slides about what to turn the former John Lewis building into.

I'm sure the new(ish) owners of the Debenhams building are really looking forward to pushing through their own plans of mixed retail/hospitality only for people to talk it down because they thought it was going to be a hospital.

19 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

What price, perfection?   Why quote only one short piece of my post,  which anyone who reads it properly would take as 'tongue in cheek'.   Honestly, sometimes I wonder if I come across as too serious?!  😁🤣

Guest makapaka
23 hours ago, the_bloke said:

The whole thing makes me laugh. A think tank has been given an award for proposing a plan for a building they don't own, will not own and they have no obligations to actually turn the proposal into reality. It's as much credence as my putting forward a plan with a few slides about what to turn the former John Lewis building into.

I'm sure the new(ish) owners of the Debenhams building are really looking forward to pushing through their own plans of mixed retail/hospitality only for people to talk it down because they thought it was going to be a hospital.

It’s a daft idea.

Shoe-horning a hospital into the middle of prime retail space which millions has already been spent on trying to improve.