New Style Sheffield Council

At the last local elections we were asked in a referendum question whether we wanted a new style of council that broke Labour's stranglehold on the council.

It was voted in. The irony is that at the same time Lib Dems won the overall vote.

Since then it's gone quiet. Has anyone heard how it's working out?

Is the public gallery for council meetings open to the public again yet? 

If anyone thinks this will make a difference they are deluded, people will still moan endlessly.

Well you vote for a party who then join up with the party who no longer represent you so you may as well just not have bothered .

Weren't they a band in the 1980s?

3 hours ago, Mister M said:

Weren't they a band in the 1980s?

Made me smile that .

On 03/09/2021 at 10:40, Anna B said:

At the last local elections we were asked in a referendum question whether we wanted a new style of council that broke Labour's stranglehold on the council.

It was voted in.

A binding referendum or just advisory?

26 minutes ago, geared said:

A binding referendum or just advisory?

Ahh, I don't know. I assumed it was binding.

22 hours ago, cuttsie said:

Well you vote for a party who then join up with the party who no longer represent you so you may as well just not have bothered .

Of course you should have bothered. None of the parties, for all sorts of reasons, managed to convince enough people to vote for them to deliver them an overall majority.  This means that in order to get anything done the all the parties have to make compromises with each other,  It's either that or nothing gets done. 

If people want to get involved in their local area, the council are in the process of setting up area committees across the city.  First meetings are in September.  These were already being planned before the local elections.  

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/home/your-city-council/local-area-committees

I don't follow Sheffield Council elections as I live outside the constituency but came across Labour Council leader Terry Fox on social media imagine an Alan Partridge style parody but then get really afraid as he's actually serious with what he's saying, frightening.