Social Clubs In Sheffield.

I'm sure most on here (especially ones my age) remember when the Working Men's Clubs (WMC's) and Social Clubs were thriving and buoyant?  They seem to be a thing of the past I know, but they were superb in their day.   Live entertainment, variety,  where you saw the acts (or 'turns' as they were called) perform for free before your very eyes and well before they appeared on your TV screens. 

Clubs run by a membership committee, who shared responsibility for the running of every aspect of the place from facilities management and refreshment to the artistes and finances.  Clubs where order was kept and members paid their subscriptions (subs) religiously and on time.  Clubs where members turned out in their Sunday best at the weekends to be entertained,  to play bingo, buy raffle tickets and help pay for children's outings to the seaside.  Clubs where the Club Steward and their staff took pride in their presentation of clean glassware, clean pumps and beer lines and served quality drinks (and snacks) efficiently and with a smile and a few kind words.  Am I bringing back any happy memories for anyone?

I know that there are one or two clubs left here and there.  Most have struggled to survive in the past and still do.  The demise of some of the fallen, long past were due to a small number of unscrupulous and greedy individuals on the make.  Others have long since gone due to poor management and misguided decision making.

I hope to see the return of 'Sheffield Clubland',  perhaps with new ways of working to ensure they are financially viable, making them a safe environment for entertainment and a return to seeing local talent performing to an appreciative and happy audience.

Did you belong to such a club?  Do any still exist now?

Southey Green working men’s club was very popular in days gone by. Also Walkley  working men’s club was well known for Sunday afternoon strippers. All the women were at home cooking the Sunday dinner while their husbands were ogling the strippers.

11 minutes ago, pattricia said:

Southey Green working men’s club was very popular in days gone by. Also Walkley  working men’s club was well known for Sunday afternoon strippers. All the women were at home cooking the Sunday dinner while their husbands were ogling the strippers.

Thought that was La Plata down the bottom of Walkley Lane?

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/topic/222765-la-plata-club-on-walkley-lane/

Edited by Longcol

22 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Thought that was La Plata down the bottom of Walkley Lane?

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/topic/222765-la-plata-club-on-walkley-lane/

La Plata and Walkley working men’s club were two different clubs. Harold Morton ran the La Plata down the bottom of Walkley Lane and Walkley club was higher up near Rivelin St and  end of Providence Rd.

22 minutes ago, pattricia said:

La Plata and Walkley working men’s club were two different clubs. Harold Morton ran the La Plata down the bottom of Walkley Lane and Walkley club was higher up near Rivelin St and  end of Providence Rd.

Yes I know - pretty sure it was La Plata that had the Sunday lunchtime strippers, not Walkley Club.

1 hour ago, Longcol said:

Yes I know - pretty sure it was La Plata that had the Sunday lunchtime strippers, not Walkley Club.

They both did.

3 hours ago, pattricia said:

They both did.

Walkley WMC was the first club in Sheffield to have strippers,

I know I was there Sunday Lunchtime, could not believe my eyes, when they had stripped off, they weren't allowed to move till the curtains closed.

Anyway I think the stripper was called MITZI, after the show I got talking to her, and she asked me to run her back to Manchester..

Not ruddy likely, she was married to the notorious police killer who was on the run Harry Roberts, think it would be around 1964.

12 hours ago, Padders said:

Walkley WMC was the first club in Sheffield to have strippers,

I know I was there Sunday Lunchtime, could not believe my eyes, when they had stripped off, they weren't allowed to move till the curtains closed.

Anyway I think the stripper was called MITZI, after the show I got talking to her, and she asked me to run her back to Manchester..

Not ruddy likely, she was married to the notorious police killer who was on the run Harry Roberts, think it would be around 1964.

Well I never Padders !  I know they had strippers because I was at home cooking the Sunday dinner, waiting for my flipping husband ( now deceased) to come home. He went fishing in Summer on a Sunday and Walkley Working men’s club in Winter !

Edited by pattricia

On 02/09/2021 at 10:15, pattricia said:

Well I never Padders !  I know they had strippers because I was at home cooking the Sunday dinner, waiting for my flipping husband ( now deceased) to come home. He went fishing in Summer on a Sunday and Walkley Working men’s club in Winter !

I was a member at that time , Remember a committee man asking me if I wanted to win the bingo , they had a system , I refused .

On 05/09/2021 at 16:34, cuttsie said:

I was a member at that time , Remember a committee man asking me if I wanted to win the bingo , they had a system , I refused .

Typical!   There were lots of them and it certainly helped towards many a clubs demise.  Fiddles on the raffles, bingo, fishing clubs,, etc.  More than a string symphony!

Their greed and stupidity killed off most of the best entertainment venues in our communities!

Going back to the original question, Crookes WMC is now Crookes Social Club (on Mulehouse Road) and regularly presents live acts.

I'm there every Wednesday night dancing Modern Jive , a brilliant style of partner dancing that you don't need to bring a partner for as everyone dances with multiple partners throughout the evening. Look up Blitz Jive for more details.