Rough And Ready Pub With Dancing/Club Wanted. 30s To 50s Age Group. Any Ideas ?

It was 1989 I was in there. All I remember of it was that the customers looked like tough foundry workers to me.

My partner was the only woman in there and I  recall a few raised eyebrows when she went to the bar to order a couple of pints and asked for hers to be put into a pint pot and not a straight glass.

A bit of a culture shock for us southerners.

Sincere thanks to those who have commented. There is quite a lot of useful information there.  I think that Padders has exactly understood the type of venue that I'm looking for. He's summed it up perfectly and is on my wavelength. I agree entirely that the online dating scene has decimated the traditional face to face,  packed,  fun filled, wild grotty venues, but I feel that some residual vestiges must be lurking somewhere, albeit on a reduced scale ? Surely it can't all be online now ? I think that it's a great shame that youngsters today won't experience the huge excitement and laugh a minute factor that a lot of us remember so fondly from rough and ready nights out in the 80s and, in my particular case, 90s. I want to live it again now, every Saturday if I can, just for a couple of years more, before I have to realistically accept that it's over forever and I'm too old. I know that I'll regret it if I let this final opportunity pass by. 

Are Penny Black and The Norfolk Arms purely static drinking locations, or do they have late Saturday night dancing as well ? That's pretty much the essential ingredient. I've had a Google for both, but there isn't much specific detail.

Deziner's suggestion of Bessemer looks very promising. Again; many thanks for that. It's a bit too flash and more civilised than I'd ideally want, but looking at the pictures online, at least it isn't full of teenagers/ early 20s. Unless anyone can think of a better option that is even more in tune with my original request, I think that Bessemer will be my starting point. 

16 minutes ago, horribleblob said:

I can imagine it must have been  HB.

Some of them could sup 12 pints a night, swearing, spitting, smoking, coughing, the occasional smelly trump, then after last orders, A jolly old fashioned punch up outside..

What a great way to spend your Saturday nights..

Oh, and by the way, the men were nearly as bad.

24 minutes ago, Double Corona said:

Are Penny Black and The Norfolk Arms purely static drinking locations, or do they have late Saturday night dancing as well ?  

The FB page of the Penny Black promises a "disco" every Friday and Saturday night. IMO you will get a much "rougher" crowd there than at the Bessemer.

Edited by HeHasRisen

1 hour ago, Padders said:

Actually, never heard of that place, which is unusual for me, as I was a regular at all the dives in Sheffield.

My favourite one of course was the World famous B/C.

The Plumpers is on the Left, Albert on the right. the railway bridge is still recognisable.

59 minutes ago, horribleblob said:

It was 1989 I was in there. All I remember of it was that the customers looked like tough foundry workers to me.

My partner was the only woman in there and I  recall a few raised eyebrows when she went to the bar to order a couple of pints and asked for hers to be put into a pint pot and not a straight glass.

Don't tell anyone :blush: i might have gotten it wrong :rolleyes: t'was the Albert with the pink baize pool table

& gay news on't bar.

Quick Whisky and out, Not Out, Out, just out :bigsmile:

See the source image

40 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

The Plumpers is on the Left, Albert on the right. the railway bridge is still recognisable.

Don't tell anyone :blush: i might have gotten it wrong :rolleyes: t'was the Albert with the pink baize pool table

& gay news on't bar.

Quick Whisky and out, Not Out, Out, just out :bigsmile:

See the source image

Ah, thats jogged my memory Rocker, do remember it now, and the Albert..

Never been in either.

It looks like it's a direct choice between the Bessemer and the Penny Black.  I wonder if the age group in each is pretty much the same ? I'm keen to avoid the student/ early 20s crowd. Again, thanks for the input.  In reality, I'll probably try both and see what I think. 

Most of the old pubs don’t exist anymore, the ones that do don’t have the landlords/ladies or the customers that they did have, as they don’t exist anymore. I will go so far as to say that if this could be recreated I wouldn’t be comfortable with it, as the person that I was then doesn’t exist anymore.

I much prefer pubs that still exist and have moved on with times, and you know what, they still exist because they have moved on with the times. What I did prefer about the old pubs is that they were run by landlords/landladies, not some invisible manager, I will always believe that someone running his/her own business gives better service than an employed manager.

17 hours ago, crookesey said:

Most of the old pubs don’t exist anymore, the ones that do don’t have the landlords/ladies or the customers that they did have, as they don’t exist anymore. I will go so far as to say that if this could be recreated I wouldn’t be comfortable with it, as the person that I was then doesn’t exist anymore.

I much prefer pubs that still exist and have moved on with times, and you know what, they still exist because they have moved on with the times. What I did prefer about the old pubs is that they were run by landlords/landladies, not some invisible manager, I will always believe that someone running his/her own business gives better service than an employed manager.

I absolutely agree with you. The landlady was always the boss, and if any customer was causing any trouble , then, just one solid stare from the landlady would make them behave. If not she would summon a couple of “ chuckers out” who would physically do just that ! 

the old wagon and horses on the heeley green was ruff in its day,always a fight,lunchtime or nightime,i was once in charge of the lion/lamb eckington,i spent 2 weeks trouble free,comes to last day,couldnt believe it a fight 12 noon,just opened on a sat,lovely summers day,fighting outside ,smashed glasses,but it soon settled down,but you never know when trouble can start in a pub,but normally its when you least expect it,but great memorys,there where loads of rough watering halls back in the day,bet theres still plenty now.

In the 50s one of the roughest pubs was The Magnet in Southey Green..My father worked in the steelworks during the day but on Saturdays he was the “ bookie” before betting shops were legal. He collected the bets on street corners , but handed them to Bookies Runners . This saved him being picked up by the police.