Jump to content

Snowflakes Get Sheffield Date Of Roy Chubby Brown Tour Axed

Recommended Posts

53 minutes ago, Mr Bloke said:

Hmmm... :huh:


They can't do that...


... there wouldn't be enough backing! :(

I'm trying to see if he will do a gig at "Padders Bar"  Mr. Bloke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Funky_Gibbon said:

You talk like they have no choice in who they can book or cancel the booking of.  None of the acts there have a right to perform there, it's a business transaction and both parties in that transaction will have agreed a contract that includes caveats, clauses and compensation for things like cancellation of that transaction by one of the parties within that contract. SCT decided that the money they could potential make from his booking didn't outweigh the potential reputational damage of hosting an openly racist comedian so they invoked the cancellation clause of the contract.

 

He's not banned at all. He can perform his act wherever he can find someone willing to host him. The fact that he's still working today is evidence that there are plenty of places that are less choosy about the kinds of people they want to associate their businesses with. What he doesn't have (and this is something that those who throw around nonsense phrases like 'Cancel Culture' like to ignore) is an automatic right to perform his act wherever he wants regardless of whether those venues want him or not. He can perform in whatever places will take him and if that doesn't include the top venues in the city then boo bloody hoo, there's always Wetherspoons.

 

 

But they’d already booked him and have done in the past. 
 

If they said this year they weren’t booking him cos they don’t like his act I would probably agree with you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

oh dear lord the offended getting offended again over someone who a lot of people pay good money to see to sold out venues, so it seems he has support?? its not something i would pay to see. basically once you have seen him and i did many years ago the joke premise is the same just rejigged usually.

let him and the supporters get on with it, wheres the harm nobody is forced to go.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pattricia said:

Why not just let him carry on entertaining the people who like his act ? 

Because we live in a country where the tail wags the dog, with a vociferous woke minority setting the agenda. It's frightening to see so many people, especially young ones, wanting this country to become the kind of society described by George Orwell in '1984' where everybody has to conform by thinking thoughts and expressing opinions considered to be acceptable whilst anyone expressing 'subversive' opinions is harshly punished. That book was supposed to be a warning but it's become a template for modern Britain. This cancellation is typical of how so many of our institutions and organisations are tamely capitulating to the demands of a woke minority.

 

I saw him at the City Hall about 3 years ago and didn't think he was very funny but I don't think he was openly racist either, although he was very critical of Islam and the ease with which so many illegal immigrants get into this country by claiming to be asylum seekers. I found it refreshing to hear somebody daring to be critical of Islam as most comedians seem to have succumbed to the climate of fear that Islam creates to silence any opposition, as the beheading of the French teacher who was accused by a 13 year old school girl who wasn't even in school at the time, of showing cartoons of Muhammad demonstrates. Our comedians just go for easy targets like Johnson and Trump. Roy Chubby Brown probably represents the feelings of the silent majority who daren't speak out, as the slightest murmur of concern about levels of immigration over the last few decades are met with hostility and accusations of racism, xenophobia, fascism etc. He's a kind of modern day King Canute, facing the waves of political correctness which  are now seeming to engulf him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

So it's OK to be racist in the right setting, that's your argument?

That's not the argument at all. We live in a free country, where within hate speech laws people such as Brown can say what he wants on stage and he has to accept the consequences of his words. The consequence here is that he has had his show cancelled.

 

I can't say I'm bothered about that; if people want to go and watch him, fine. Go and heckle him and call him a racist at his shows if you want, you have the right to do so but you also need to accept the consequences of your actions in that scenario.

 

My beef here is with SCT; they obviously didn't have a problem with him being booked in the first place and knew they would make money on it, so whatever values they have as an organisation either didn't exist in the first place or are not as important as money. It's quite clear that without the noisy minority, the gig would have gone ahead as normal.

 

The values that SCT now feel they have and which are at odds with Brown will be quickly forgotten by the time the next comic is on stage cracking jokes about homosexuality, child abuse, sexism, death, rape, terrorists etc etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, despritdan said:

Because we live in a country where the tail wags the dog, with a vociferous woke minority setting the agenda. It's frightening to see so many people, especially young ones, wanting this country to become the kind of society described by George Orwell in '1984' where everybody has to conform by thinking thoughts and expressing opinions considered to be acceptable whilst anyone expressing 'subversive' opinions is harshly punished. That book was supposed to be a warning but it's become a template for modern Britain. This cancellation is typical of how so many of our institutions and organisations are tamely capitulating to the demands of a woke minority.

 

I saw him at the City Hall about 3 years ago and didn't think he was very funny but I don't think he was openly racist either, although he was very critical of Islam and the ease with which so many illegal immigrants get into this country by claiming to be asylum seekers. I found it refreshing to hear somebody daring to be critical of Islam as most comedians seem to have succumbed to the climate of fear that Islam creates to silence any opposition, as the beheading of the French teacher who was accused by a 13 year old school girl who wasn't even in school at the time, of showing cartoons of Muhammad demonstrates. Our comedians just go for easy targets like Johnson and Trump. Roy Chubby Brown probably represents the feelings of the silent majority who daren't speak out, as the slightest murmur of concern about levels of immigration over the last few decades are met with hostility and accusations of racism, xenophobia, fascism etc. He's a kind of modern day King Canute, facing the waves of political correctness which  are now seeming to engulf him.

I’d more or less given up on this forum but this is by far the best post Ive read in a long time 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dreb48 said:

I’d more or less given up on this forum but this is by far the best post Ive read in a long time 

Couldn't possibly agree more. I wouldn't pay more than a couple of quid to watch this pathetic old "has-been" live but what right do the snowflake/cancel brigade have to get his show cancelled because they're "offended"?  

Ah diddums. Total shame on the venue management on caving in to the modern age fascists (i.e the "woke" and seemingly perpetually "offended")

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Martin C said:

 perpetually "offended")

'Perpetually offended' 

 

Love it :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw him at the Intake sports club years ago,  the Compare was funnier than  him, I didn't rate him at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally not a fan of Chubby Brown, but I defend the right of anyone who is to go and see him.

Isn't that why they sell tickets? So that only those who choose to, go and see him?

Stay at home if you find him offensive.

Edited by Anna B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whilst not a fan of Chubby Brown -people have a right to see him . The next thing will be banning Books that don't conform and we all know what happens next

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, lobster said:

Whilst not a fan of Chubby Brown -people have a right to see him . The next thing will be banning Books that don't conform and we all know what happens next

Book burner !!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.