Snowflakes Get Sheffield Date Of Roy Chubby Brown Tour Axed

Chubby Brown is a "Blue" comedian. He's like Marmite you either like him or you don't. He has been performing for many years and the fact that he is still touring suggests people still want to see him.  It's the same with Jim Davidson. People says he is racist, sexist ect but he sells tickets for his shows. I think some theatres have stopped booking him though.

If you don't like him don't go.

Edited by Zinger549

3 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

I dont think those two arguments are even valid. It's independent but the venue is - to my knowledge - still owned by SCC. Therefore if the charity who manages it isn't reflecting the council's values - whatever they are - then they'll find another one who will. The council doesn't have to just keep fans of chubby brown and free speech warriors happy, it's got to keep everybody happy.

Other councils will have a more liberal view of it as will the private sector.  They aren't the first council to have binned him off though.

To me this is the crux of the issue.

The city hall is owned and managed by Sheffield City Trust which is a non-profit organisation with heavy links if not funding directly or indirectly from the council.  There are even elected councillors and official council officers on their board.

Whether people agree or not, some citizens of this city have raised complaints and are clearly unhappy that taxpayer monies are potentially going towards putting on a performance for a very controversial and quite frankly totally outdated  comedian.   By making direct complaint its certainly been taken more seriously than this sudden flood of supporters all doing their slacktivism clicking on some online petition.   I bet most of the 15k signors we're never going to go in the first place

Given the recent high profile news stories it's hardly surprising that the council has got rather jittery about whether it's appropriate to be appearing at their publicly-funded venue.  Even more so after their nice big fat bailout from the government to prop their venues up over the past two years.

As others have said, there's nothing to stop any of the private venues or comedy clubs welcoming him with open arms. I bet many won't though.  

Edited by ECCOnoob

44 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

The city hall is owned and managed by Sheffield City Trust which is a non-profit organisation with heavy links if not funding directly or indirectly from the council.  There are even elected councillors and official council officers on their board.

Whether people agree or not, some citizens of this city have raised complaints and are clearly unhappy that taxpayer monies are potentially going towards putting on a performance for a very controversial and quite frankly totally outdated  comedian.   By making direct complaint its certainly been taken more seriously than this sudden flood of supporters all doing their slacktivism clicking on some online petition.   I bet most of the 15k signors we're never going to go in the first place

Given the recent high profile news stories it's hardly surprising that the council has got rather jittery about whether it's appropriate to be appearing at their publicly-funded venue.  Even more so after their nice big fat bailout from the government to prop their venues up over the past two years.

As others have said, there's nothing to stop any of the private venues or comedy clubs welcoming him with open arms. I bet many won't though.  

How is taxpayers money going towards putting on this performance, his tour manager will have had to pay to hire the venue?

Will the people who approved the ban (and its not the first by all accounts) hold there hands up when this already struggling venue closes for good?

People of Sheffield remember these Labour loons the next time an election is due and lets be rid of them once and for all.

Wasn't the original complaint from a guy living in Whitby ?
Ironic then that the Whitby Pavilion show is nearly sold out.

2 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

I guarantee that if the council gave tax payers a vote on this the decision the council made would be in the minority. This event regardless of snowflakes opinions would have been sold out and ideal to bring in much needed revenue to the business in the city centre sheff council always manages to shoot themselves in the foot problem is its always at Sheffield tax payers expense but 3 weeks after it's ok for Alan Carr to feature council are backwards and full of snowflakes that don't represent the majority of people in Sheffield. I'm surprised they haven't realised this after the last 5 general and local elections 

2 minutes ago, Conshefsky said:

I guarantee that if the council gave tax payers a vote on this the decision the council made would be in the minority. This event regardless of snowflakes opinions would have been sold out and ideal to bring in much needed revenue to the business in the city centre sheff council always manages to shoot themselves in the foot problem is its always at Sheffield tax payers expense but 3 weeks after it's ok for Alan Carr to feature council are backwards and full of snowflakes that don't represent the majority of people in Sheffield. I'm surprised they haven't realised this after the last 5 general and local elections 

Are you comparing Alan Carr to Chubby Brown? I'm not a fan of either but one of them wouldn't imprison the other (chubby brown would incarcerate all gay people by the way - i heard it on a radio interview). 

Isn't it odd that the amount of people coming out saying they despise him or he's not my cup of tea? He's been doing his shows in Sheffield for over 30 years & the shows have been sell outs, personally i love his material & i think the people behind this decision to cancel his show should be ashamed of themselves & sacked from their jobs. No other town/city have cancelled his shows only Sheffield .... Why? I don't believe for one minute that it's because of complaints! We live in a society where snowflakes will do almost anything to stop anything because they think it might offend other people, if i or anybody else who wish to go & pay for a ticket to go & see him then that is our choice to do that! Who do these idiots think they are taking that right away from us? Who is he going offend? The show doesn't get broadcasted live on big speakers to those outside so they can listen in!

I am not keen on that type of humour so my choice would not to watch but that does not give others the right to stop me from choosing who I watch.

I've just read an article on it and as expected the loony left are the freedom busters with Terry Fox the leader. As a councillor for Manor Castle I thought he would have more about him but yes, total snowflake.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/local-news/roy-chubby-brown-speaks-out-21460131

Edited by Findlay
update info

The amount of free publicity he thrives on has created a successful business model for him.

Many celebrities, would be politicians, media folk etc. use exactly the same techniques to gain publicity.

In some countries there is no limit to what they will do for money.

In this country we do and thankfully it is rarely used.

Historically Councils have legally banned theatre performances, films, shows and circuses in the name public decency etc.

On the other hand Jimmy Carr continues as a mainstream TV act despite is shows being laced "...with jokes about disability, homosexuals, paedophilia, the Holocaust, rape, domestic violence." Source.

A time to consider the hypocrisy of Council, the Law and ourselves.

14 hours ago, Zinger549 said:

Chubby Brown is a "Blue" comedian. He's like Marmite you either like him or you don't. He has been performing for many years and the fact that he is still touring suggests people still want to see him.  It's the same with Jim Davidson. People says he is racist, sexist ect but he sells tickets for his shows. I think some theatres have stopped booking him though.

If you don't like him don't go.

Having looked him up on YouTube - I know someone who lost their job for making a joke that was far more tame than the racist ones he makes. So why is it ok for him to do it in a workplace (after all these places have many staff who have to hear his racist jokes) and not others in other workplaces?

What ever petitions are on going and whatever is posted on here, unfortunately the Snowflakes have won.

The decision to 'ban' Chubby Brown is not going to be overturned so the Snowflakes can now move on to

their next Crusade (can I still say Crusade:rolleyes:

Anyway back to the comedy aspect & being blessed with (as all good Scott's (persons) are)  a built in sense of humour,

Even I think Chubby has past his sell by date, should he be banned - No - and best of luck if he can still fill venues.

Saw Billy Connelly 3 times in his hey day two of which (a year apart) you could have been watching the same show.

Bernard Manning's name has appeared a few times through this post was he funny, Yes did he loose the plot?

His televised interview sat in his underpants was squeamish to say the least.

Boy George, Johnathan Ross, David Walliams and Keith 🍋's desire to say 'Penis' as soon as they can isn't humour and never will be.

Alan Carr, sorry  the big glass's and silly smile will never hide the fact he is promoting his Homosexual lifestyle.

Is Alan Carr Funny - Hell yes - put him with Melanie Sykes on radio 2 and the banter is electric without resorting to being obscene.

Nightrider.

British industry was built on sarcasm in the workplace.

It was character building and being caught out was just as good as dishing it out.

But racism in the workplace was never ok 

Keep safe out there

Edited by Rockers rule
Spelling Ooop's