Snowflakes Get Sheffield Date Of Roy Chubby Brown Tour Axed

On 29/08/2021 at 21:39, tinfoilhat said:

Lots of people saying the show should go ahead, but not many who would buy tickets by the look of it. 

Many obviously did though or the tour would have been pulled by the promoter.

Edited by top4718

Guest makapaka

It shouldn’t have been pulled at the end of the day. And that’s not cos I’m a chubby brown fan (although i once saw a live clip where he took the mickey out of advice on how to fend off a shark which was hilarious).

if the venue had an issue with him they shouldn’t have booked him - or booked him for however many years prior when they’ve made money from it.

if they’d said afterwards they weren’t going to book him again - that’s their choice. 

So, it looks like SCT is the self-acclaimed new moral compass for entertainment material in our city centre?  Where do these people come from?  Roy Chubby Brown, like many comedians, may offend.  However, he has not been convicted of any offences relating to those who may have complained has he?  It seems SCT is doing its Mary Whitehouse impression very badly with a knee-jerk reaction to pacify the few modern cotton wool swathed members of our general populous.   TYPICAL!

Guest busdriver1

If you read his book you will find that he already has a dislike for the area going back many years and all this will have done is cement that feeling. The welcoming nature of local folks is exposed in there and he pulls no punches ( as you would expect) in his explanation of just how welcoming some folks were.

At least he will have gained some new material from this and boy will he use it. 

Good to see Sheffield being put on the map.

9 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

I'm seeing a fair few whiney posts from closet chubby brown fans though. Write to your councillor, tell them you won't vote for them unless a person you don't want to watch gets to tell jokes!

I can understand why they're being "whiney" one might say they're being just as whiney as those who pushed to cancel a show they had no interest in watching. 

Many years ago perhaps it was 82-4 maybe.... John Cooper Clark was on at the crucible

when he came on a group of protesters started making a commotion

he didnt perform as the management pulled him over perhaps 10 protesters

this to a full to capacity house who had paid to go and see him

On 29/08/2021 at 18:07, makapaka said:

Still don’t get it. Either somethings racist or it isn’t. 

you don’t define racism by whether someone is offended by it or not. 

OK... the 'N' word:

Is that automatically racist?

Many would say yes because it's been used predominantly by white people through history as a slur against black people.

Now... is it racist if black hip hop artists use the word? What if a white rapper uses it because it's a recognised and accepted word in that particular genre of music? How about Samuel L. Jackson in Pulp Fiction? Or, Chris Rock's legendary 'Blacks vs N*****s' skit?

I don't see being critical of Islam as racist. Some of those who are critical probably are racist, but they're a lost cause. I'm critical of all religions, that doesn't mean i hate the people practising it (in most cases). I might not like a religion, but i can still appreciate the people and the cultures. It's not a race thing, it's a religion thing bit, unfortunately, people can't seem to separate the two when it comes to Islam.

So, you might think me racist for my thoughts on Islam but, for me, it's nothing to do with race at all.

Guest busdriver1
22 minutes ago, hello1964 said:

Glad he's been banned. 

So because you dont like him you think everyone  should be denied the ability to see him?

How very tolerant of you 

4 hours ago, leviathan13 said:

OK... the 'N' word:

Is that automatically racist?

Many would say yes because it's been used predominantly by white people through history as a slur against black people.

Now... is it racist if black hip hop artists use the word? What if a white rapper uses it because it's a recognised and accepted word in that particular genre of music? How about Samuel L. Jackson in Pulp Fiction? Or, Chris Rock's legendary 'Blacks vs N*****s' skit?

I don't see being critical of Islam as racist. Some of those who are critical probably are racist, but they're a lost cause. I'm critical of all religions, that doesn't mean i hate the people practising it (in most cases). I might not like a religion, but i can still appreciate the people and the cultures. It's not a race thing, it's a religion thing bit, unfortunately, people can't seem to separate the two when it comes to Islam.

So, you might think me racist for my thoughts on Islam but, for me, it's nothing to do with race at all.

Chubby does not just attack islam. NOTHING is safe, and I mean NOTHING. Lots of White and Christian people get it in the neck from him, Is it racist to poke fun at every religion and race? 

Aren't there two different arguments here?

1. Do people like his comedy or not?

2. Irrespective, should he appear at the City Hall or other venues owned by SCC or under their aegis (since SCT does seem so independent)? If not, should he appear anywhere at all?

7 minutes ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

Aren't there two different arguments here?

1. Do people like his comedy or not?

2. Irrespective, should he appear at the City Hall or other venues owned by SCC or under their aegis (since SCT does seem so independent)? If not, should he appear anywhere at all?

I dont think those two arguments are even valid. It's independent but the venue is - to my knowledge - still owned by SCC. Therefore if the charity who manages it isn't reflecting the council's values - whatever they are - then they'll find another one who will. The council doesn't have to just keep fans of chubby brown and free speech warriors happy, it's got to keep everybody happy.

Other councils will have a more liberal view of it as will the private sector.  They aren't the first council to have binned him off though.