Sign in to follow this  

Cheap Pci-E Video Card

Building a new PC (Ryzen 2600, non gaming) and made the rookie mistake of thinking that the motherboard VGA meant it had onboard graphics so need a cheap and cheerful video card. There seem a bewildering selection of both new and S/H on Ebay for around 30.00

Any advice welcome!

Just get one that has the outputs you need, they should all be PCIe these days. Your other solution would have been to buy a Ryzen 'G' CPU then you'd not need a separate card.

I'll admit to having a soft spot for the cheap and cheerful Nvidia GeForce GT600 and GT700 Kepler series of cards  (and this is after being an ATI / AMD Radeon fangirl for the last 20 years).

The cards were released in the first half of the last decade, but they're still supported under Windows 10.

Just make sure you get a card with the later GK208 chipset and the faster GDDR5 video RAM.

And when you get bored of running Windows, you can use the card under MacOS in a Hackintosh!

I've had very good results with the GT640 and GT730 cards; these can be purchased on ebay for under £30 if you're patient enough.

Don't get provoked into a bidding war and end up paying well over the odds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_600_series#GeForce_600_(6xx)_series

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_700_series#GeForce_700_(7xx)_series

Thanks for the replies, great. Windows 11 will need Direct X 12 so that will be a factor.

Now for the TPM (another thing I assumed)

I have an evga 780ti classified doing nowt if you want to buy it? 

20 hours ago, ChrisIB said:

Building a new PC (Ryzen 2600, non gaming) and made the rookie mistake of thinking that the motherboard VGA meant it had onboard graphics so need a cheap and cheerful video card. There seem a bewildering selection of both new and S/H on Ebay for around 30.00

Any advice welcome!

Have you bought the parts second hand? I'm just thinking it might be better to sell the 2600 and as above, buy a Ryzen G series. I have a 2nd Gen Ryzen 5 G series. It's a pretty good CPU/GPU. It's not a graphics powerhouse, but it does the job well for general PC use and light (ish) games/graphics/video editing programs. Which motherboard and RAM did you get?

When testing the 'taken down' Windows 11 check tool, it said the CPU was incompatible. Not sure why, the fTPM was turned on, on the motherboard (this is disabled on default BIOS settings) Microsoft also claimed Ryzen 2nd Gen onwards was OK.

If you decided to go for a cheap GPU, maybe a Nvidia 1030 as a minimum, 1050/1050ti would be a better option, but the ones I've seen are silly money ATM. I've not tried any of AMDs more recent budget GPU options, so can't comment on those.

14 hours ago, ChrisIB said:

Now for the TPM (another thing I assumed)

As I said above, go into the BIOS and turn on fTPM>Save>Exit and reboot. If you look in the device manager, it should show under 'Security Devices'

I managed to get my new toy during the Nvidia FE at RRP stock release the other week. This means I'll be doing a GPU swap on my systems and retiring and selling my ASUS STRIX OC GTX970. But I think it will be overkill for what you need, and it won't be within the budget you mentioned. Not sure how much they go for. Time for an eBay 'Sold items' search. I have a couple of old AMD (maybe 4 series) but fairly sure they won't be DX12, so not much use to you.

Many thanks, ended up with a Radeon RX550 from a mate.

The advice on the TPM was spot on, I had enabled it in the BIOS but that then reported no devices available. After above, when I checked in Device Manager there it was, guess the BIOS may have been referring to the unused board socket.

On 23/08/2021 at 13:51, ChrisIB said:

Many thanks, ended up with a Radeon RX550 from a mate.

The advice on the TPM was spot on, I had enabled it in the BIOS but that then reported no devices available. After above, when I checked in Device Manager there it was, guess the BIOS may have been referring to the unused board socket.

Glad you got it all sorted.

You should be OK to go for Win 11 now if you want to. I have it on a couple of machines, no issues so far.

If not, enjoy your new build on Windows 10.

Tried for the Windows 11 preview but the Windows Update insider page stated it didn't meet the minimum requirements.

Slightly odd as the specs are Ryzen 5 3600, 16GB, Radeon RX550 and the Microsoft tpm.msc tool reporting the TPM 2.0 is available.

Unfortunately Microsoft's Windows 11 Compatibility tool has been temp withdrawn.

18 hours ago, ChrisIB said:

Tried for the Windows 11 preview but the Windows Update insider page stated it didn't meet the minimum requirements.

Slightly odd as the specs are Ryzen 5 3600, 16GB, Radeon RX550 and the Microsoft tpm.msc tool reporting the TPM 2.0 is available.

Unfortunately Microsoft's Windows 11 Compatibility tool has been temp withdrawn.

Strange, as the system you've built, meets the requirements. Is the CPU a 2600 or a 3600?  (not that it should matter) Your first post and the one above lists both. I had the CPU error on my Ryzen 5 2400 G CPU despite MS saying 2nd Gen Ryzen onwards were required (I think this is now 1st Gen Ryzen and 7th Gen Intel). I've not read up on the CPU, and it's in my oldest backup PC that runs an X370 board. If I get chance this coming week, I'll image the drive, then try it on the beta channel release of Win 11. I have a system with a 3rd Gen Ryzen and that passed using the MS tool, but that system is on a newer board (X470 & X570) Both are running the latest BIOS.

What make/model is your motherboard? It might be a setting like Secure Boot and CSM etc, that's causing the error. And/or, it may need a BIOS update and the chipset drivers (From AMD) installing. Both of my Win 11 installs needed a BIOS update. One is AMD, the other is Intel.

I have a feeling it will be a setting/driver/BIOS issue, more than a hardware issue.

Thanks for that, it's an MSI B450M Pro with the 3600. It's got the latest BIOS (May 21) so it looks like the UEFI CSM setting. Unfortunately I went for an M2 drive rather than a SATA to reduce cabling, and having installed Windows having left it on the default CSM setting, I now can't flip to UEFI secure boot (it just boots into the BIOS) so looks like a reinstall ..

4 hours ago, ChrisIB said:

Thanks for that, it's an MSI B450M Pro with the 3600. It's got the latest BIOS (May 21) so it looks like the UEFI CSM setting. Unfortunately I went for an M2 drive rather than a SATA to reduce cabling, and having installed Windows having left it on the default CSM setting, I now can't flip to UEFI secure boot (it just boots into the BIOS) so looks like a reinstall ..

M.2 SATA or NVMe x3/x4? No problem with an NVMe and a wise choice...MUCH faster! But as you say, going from standard boot to secure can cause issues. I'm sure there's a way round it, but can't think what it is ATM. If you've only just installed 10, it might be worth starting again with the new settings in the BIOS. A bit of a pain but might be the fastest way. I can't see anything with your parts lists that will cause issues on Win 11. As I said previous, get the new chipset drivers from AMD, not from MSI.

A bit of info. I've just updated my main PC. That's a 3950X/X570 with fTPM on/Secure boot/CSM etc. Installed OK. It had one issue but that was my fault, I use one of the GPU DP outputs for audio only, so I can get Dolby Atmos from my sound system. It sent Windows 11 crackers! Easy fix though. I have a lot of addon cards in this PC and they all worked perfectly.