Scc Approve New Hillsbourgh Event

Western Park is tiny 

You' d do well to manage a crowd if a couple of thousand at best.

Mind the flowerbeds, Bandstand, ducks  

And Norfolk Park has nothing around it, no shops, pubs, restaurants, eateries etc. where people would normally go before, possibly during and after such an event. The City Centre is a fair old hike...

Hillsborough is a much better option...

what about the bowl that they use for after dark?re- norfolk park most big events people stay for hours and eat,drink ect on site.also is there not some big pieces of land near meadowhall as well.

Norfolk Park much more accessible (in terms of walking distance) to the station/interchange when the trams are on strike/can't be arsed to deal with the crowds

18 hours ago, bungleboy69 said:

Hillsborough Park is ideal for these events, big footprint, great access and level. I don't think any other park in Sheffield would tick so many boxes. 

As a side note, I'd love Sheffield to have lots of big cultural events throughout the year. Would be good for the economy and make us a real destination city. I went to Montreal a few years ago and it seemed to be non-stop events and things to do.  

Level? Have you ever done Hillsborough Parkrun??!!! 😆

7 hours ago, bassett one said:

what about the bowl that they use for after dark?re- norfolk park most big events people stay for hours and eat,drink ect on site.also is there not some big pieces of land near meadowhall as well.

There's a festival being set up there now... 

thats what i mean ,the new big music event could go there as well,could it not?

Capacity of DVB is only 7500... ok for a small festival.

30 minutes ago, bassett one said:

thats what i mean ,the new big music event could go there as well,could it not?

On 19/08/2021 at 18:44, Baron99 said:

With the tram running opposite Hillsborough Park, able to move a large volume of people, maybe SCC see this as the best park to use.  Parks such Millhouses & Ecclesall are basically one road in, one road out & the roads primarily leading to them, especially at weekends are already blocked with traffic, particularly on Saturdays, including buses. 

At the end of the day, SCC probably want people to use public transport rather than cars but not public transport that's easily gridlocked. 

In theory yes but Stagecoach tram unfortunately do not as a rule strengthen the service and run more frequently but prefer to have overloaded tram that ordinary residents with shopping or kids can not get on. ironically they are often so crowded that the conductor(s) are unable to collect the fares. What we need is a company that runs trams for the benefit of the community and not for its own benefit

thats a shock ,i thought the bowl arena was larger than 7.5 thousand,i would of thought the after dark crowd was much bigger than that,but you learn somthing every day.

8 hours ago, Bigal1 said:

In theory yes but Stagecoach tram unfortunately do not as a rule strengthen the service and run more frequently but prefer to have overloaded tram that ordinary residents with shopping or kids can not get on. ironically they are often so crowded that the conductor(s) are unable to collect the fares. What we need is a company that runs trams for the benefit of the community and not for its own benefit

How much are you prepared to pay for that? Pounds and pence? 10 quid? 50 quid?  On your council tax bill.?

Edited by Bargepole23

11 hours ago, Bigal1 said:

What we need is a company that runs trams for the benefit of the community and not for its own benefit

You'll have your wish soon, the plan is for SYPTE to take the running of Supertram in house from 2024.

6 minutes ago, Hook said:

You'll have your wish soon, the plan is for SYPTE to take the running of Supertram in house from 2024.

I am not sure that they will be any better.